OT: Bobby Plager

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kmov.com/news/sources-blues-legend-bobby-plager-dead-in-car-accident-on-interstate-64/article_12d6bd1a-8cd4-11eb-b4f2-2f4048beba25.amp.html

I feel like this deserves an OT thread. Bobby Plager is obviously a Blues legend, but he truly loved the city of St. Louis. Just a genuinely wonderful man. I’m so happy he finally got to lift the Cup a couple years ago. This story would be so much more tragic if he hadn’t gotten that opportunity. RIP #5

Thanks for starting this thread.  Sad day for Blues Hockey and St. Louis.   

Everyone likely has their own story, and I would like to read them, but I will always remember going into the hockey locker room at the old Hardee's Ice Complex, in Chesterfield, crowded with about 20 kids (ages 5 to 6 years old) on the benches and 20 Dads kneeling on the floor untying skates and keeping track of their sons' equipment from ending up in the wrong bag, following my then 6 year old son's 1 hour "Learn to Play" ice hockey session, his second time ever on the ice for a practice, when this older guy, I assumed a coach but I did not turn around to see him, came in to the crowded locker room, and in that deep, distinctive voice, asked the boys:  "OK, who in here is tired?  Is anyone tired?"  The boys all stopped what they were doing, gave full attention and yelled back "No" and "No, I am not tired."  Then, the voice asked, "Ok, who can skate another hour?"  The boys all raised their hands or yelled that they could.  And then, this voice said:  "Well, if you're not tired, that means you didn't skate hard enough.   Next time, skate harder." and out he went.  For a few seconds, silence.  Finally, I spun around on the floor but the voice had let the room and I said to the guy next to me, I recognize the voice, who was that?  And was told: Bobby Plager.  

clock that is a hell of a story!   great memory and i hope you remind your son of that still.   not just for hockey but everything he does.   we can all learn/ be reminded from that!

Reinert310 likes this

RIP Bobby...had season tickets for many years for the Blues. Loved it when Bobby would lay a foe out with one of his hip checks. Back in the day dropped a few bucks on the weekends partying at Plager's in West County,

4 minutes ago, Schasz said:

RIP Bobby...had season tickets for many years for the Blues. Loved it when Bobby would lay a foe out with one of his hip checks. Back in the day dropped a few bucks on the weekends partying at Plager's in West County,

The one in Fenton, just south of 141 and Big Bend? That place was/is awesome. Haven’t been there in a while.

The club I went to in the day is off Mckelvey Road very close to 275. Within the last 4-5 years I went to a sports bar while I was visiting the Lou. Can't remember name) that at least seemed to me was in the spot that Plager's was in the late 70's-early 80's.