Stop donations to slu until issue resolved

This not meant to be a political post but I am not sure how to point out that most people will no longer be in a position to take advantage of the tax write off once the new tax cut law goes into effect and not have somebody go there.  Right now they are predicting that only 5% will itemize once the bill goes into effect so lots of people will simply not see the same benefit to donate at the same level as before.  This will impact every charitable group and will eventually create havoc for them.  My point is that donations are likely to go down at SLU as with other groups and it will not have anything to do with this situation.

I find hard to believe that only 5% of the population itemizes. Yes, I know some congress office came up with this estimate, but, come on, do you trust any government estimate about anything? As a matter of fact, about 10% of the population has a net worth of $1M or above. Anyone with a net worth at that level has enough brains to itemize and save money in taxes every year. Even better, they do not do it themselves they have accountants to do it for them. 

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

I find hard to believe that only 5% of the population itemizes. Yes, I know some congress office came up with this estimate, but, come on, do you trust any government estimate about anything? As a matter of fact, about 10% of the population has a net worth of $1M or above. Anyone with a net worth at that level has enough brains to itemize and save money in taxes every year. Even better, they do not do it themselves they have accountants to do it for them. 

Actually, I could see the % dropping significantly - I only repeated what some were touting.  I know if the bill goes through it will make itemizing for me not available.

4 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Forgive the ignorance but are you saying that itemizing will not be a choice available to all taxpayers under the new bill? 

No.  He is saying that with the increase in the standard deduction -- fewer taxpayers will benefit from itemizing and so will opt for the simplicity, ease, and potential gain of taking the new larger standard deduction.

3 hours ago, Old guy said:

Whether you itemize depends a lot on where you live. In New Jersey something like 50% of the people itemize due to high state and property taxes. In Texas the % is quite low. If you lose those deductions and standard deductions are increased a lot fewer people will itemize. 

8 minutes ago, willie said:

Whether you itemize depends a lot on where you live. In New Jersey something like 50% of the people itemize due to high state and property taxes. In Texas the % is quite low. If you lose those deductions and standard deductions are increased a lot fewer people will itemize. 

Exactly