Ok, where's...

slu72

Jalens Dad with the latest on TL situation?

Pdiddy with his "whispering streets" report?

Signguy with his latest report on the doings of Lurch and the Beaver in Beantown? Nice going Lurch with the "my favorite Red Sox player was Eddie Yost. You know the Walking man who played for the Washington Senators." Announcer should have followed up with "What famous Red Sox player wore number 9? or Whose the Bambino?" Just goes to show you libs don't know their sports.

Broy with the latest on KL's elbow?

Brehm's with the latest on RB's foot problems? Nice touch on the airplane by a UL guy.

TF's dad with the latest on TF's recovery?

Anyone with any reports from the goings on at West Pine or what Billiken players are playing in the Bonner league?

Anyone with reports on the status of the new arena?

The silence on this board is deafening.

is deafening because most of the discussion is on the other board. Most of the discussion for the past 3-4 months would have been on that board, too, if it was operational then.

Despite the TL flare-up there really isn't much to talk about related to Billiken basketball in the summer. This is compounded by a coach who is very low key.

The 2 boards really make it seem slow. For the record, I have no problem with the 2 boards, but I won't spend too much time reading the other one.

>Jalens Dad with the latest on TL situation?

I guess no news is good news. Liddell should be home from the Big Time in Vegas, where he made the All Tourney Team. I believe his team went 3-2 and were eliminated before the playoffs. From all accounts he played very well against the overrated Brandon Rush scoring 25 points. Eric Bossi of phognet said SLU got the steal of the year in re-aquiring his services. Bossi has Liddell rated #66 in his 2005 top 100. Take that with a grain of salt as he has Justin Dentmon rated #46 and I remember reading on IllinBoard where he spoke dismissively of Kevin Lisch. This should bode well for SLU as Liddell really plays up to the competition and that's what he will be facing at Hargrave and at SLU the following year.

Hey, Reg's foot is fine. He turned 23 yesterday and was happy to be able to spend it with my dad. The boot is expected to come off when he returns back to SLU on August 20th. So it's all good. I did talk to Coach (Soderberg) on Saturday, he was in Vegas. Stated he would be traveling a little more, but was checking on the players etc......nothing specific about the recruits, we basically talked about my dad's recovery, Reg and the upcoming season etc. Said he would be calling all the players to touch base. Reg was with me at the time, so he talked to Reg and that's about it on this end. I believe Reg told me their weight lifting coach was leaving. He really liked him.

Interesting that Brad was in Vegas at the same time as Tommie...

I remembeer 23...that was a fun year.

Thats disapointing to hear that the weightlifting coach is leaving. If my memory serves me correct he was the coach for UCLA and was considered a big-time get for SLU. I think the reason he ended up at SLU was a family member of his was sick and receiving treatment in St. Louis. I would hope that we made every effort to retain him as there aren't too many teams that are more physical or stronger than us.

You asked for it...

Tom's shoulder is coming along well. Tom is real bummed that the strength coach left. He had a lot of confidence in the coach and his ability to work on his shoulder in the weight room. As for playing in games, he says that he has not really tried to push it hard yet since Coach Brad said not to until October 16th!

Tom has has not spent a whole lot of time playing at West Pine due to his 12 hours of class this summer. Spanish III has been real tough and he spends most of his time working on his studies. None the less he has been at all the scheduled conditioning sessions this summer.

On another subject...

I don't understand all the issues concerning AA as stated on other posts but when Tom transfered to SLU from JUCO, he lost about 42 hours in transfering. I don't believe all the courses he lost were bad courses since the UAB academic adviser knew about his desires pertaining to a business degree. Tom was taking general & business courses at UAB for two years before spending a year at JUCO. I assume that when you go to a JUCO, thoses hours towards a a business background must not mean a thing, at least at SLU! Tom always wanted a business major but due to the transfer and SLU not taking so many hours, They slotted him into psychology. He will graduate with a psychology degree with a business back ground. This could be a fundamental problem why athletes just give up and move to other schools knowingly they will get in.

To get his business degree would mean at least another 2 semesters after this year to get ther business major at SLU. Tom has already used his 5th year so it would be on his $$$! I'm encouraging him to go back to UAB and get a double major by transfereing all the SLU & JUCO hours. It would be much cheaper to transfer back to UAB if he still desires the business degree. He will be 24 when he graduates this coming spring and is starting to tire of non stop school. Time will tell!

thanks for a better focus on the perils of transferring to slu academically.

btw, this is to anyone, what exactly happened with the strength coach? i have seen it referenced a number of times here as of late, so it is obvious he is gone. where did he go? anyone know of the plans to replace him? imo, this was a position that obviously helped the team and i would be demanding that quality replacement and not back to the old days.

maybe i am a little thick on this. but will someone explain to me why those credits were not accepted by slu? it sounds to me we are our own worst enemy on this stuff.

It may be that there are no classes considered equivilents at SLU or they are in programs not offered at SLU, were in classes considered mandatory prerequisites that must be taken at SLU, or grades were not high enough to transfer to SLU. It's a common thing at many schools. I had 2 roommates in undergrad who transferred from state schools (Iowa and Arizona State) who both lost quite a bit of credits in transferring and had to go a full 5th year to graduate dispite spending a year at the other schools.

Word is that coach Lind needed to spend more time with his family, esp. a child with long term needs. I heard that he is going to stay in Saint Louis. He has also promised the guys that he is recommending someone very well qualified to replace him.

Yeah it's a shame that the credits weren't transferrable, I never really asked Reg, his major at Villanova was Business with a minor in International Marketing, which would have been excellent for him, he interned at Legg Mason and other corporate firms at home and loved it. But now he's a Social Science major, I always questioned that choice, it's so far removed from where he was focused, he took 4 classes of Chinese for goodness sake. Now I'm wondering if the transferrable credits had anything to do with it. I know it couldn't have been his grades in those particular courses, because Reg had good grades....I will ask him. I tried to encourage him to get some other courses in so he can graduate with a dual major, he shot me down. Said this is it for him, no more school, with prep school and the extra year he sat out, he said its enough. I'm hoping as SLU moves into a new direction with the arena, new AD, moving to A10, still maintaining the midwest values, will start to broaden their sights a little more (adding majors, accepting credits, recruiting in other regions)etc.