Tanner Bronson and Calvert Chaney

GOSLU68

Pistol- that's a joke. you just said that players don't care what a coaches background is? So if a guy has a background of playing in the NBA and at a high level in college they wouldn't be an easy choice over a guy who has never played basketball. Wow you got me there.

Good point. If I was a player, I'd take calvert over rick majerus.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pistol- that's a joke. you just said that players don't care what a coaches background is? So if a guy has a background of playing in the NBA and at a high level in college they wouldn't be an easy choice over a guy who has never played basketball. Wow you got me there.

No, it isn't automatically an easy choice. You are setting up a false dichotomy. There are more factors than a coach's playing career that matter to a recruit (such as his coaching career, and ability to develop a relationship with that player). This seems quite obvious. But if you must create one rule by which all recruits' decisions are made, so be it.

Your writing style is incredibly abrasive, by the way. My ignore list just grew by one (and you even use an abbreviated version of the hashtag I started as your handle, so I was going to give you some credit).

You guys are dropping names like Majerus, Coach K and Izzo. You have to put them at the same position in their coaching careers as CC. So let's compare Coach K, Majerus, Izzo and CC before the three HOF's you threw at me began their head coaching careers. It's easy to shout those names out after their careers have gotten to where they are now. And yes, there are obviously more factors that play into what a recruit wants out of a coach than the coach's playing career. My point is that if a coach has a successful playing career, it is noticed by the recruit. It may also give the coach more credibility when explaining his game plan or forcing his players to do a drill he may dislike. And I'm sorry youu doont liiike my Graaaammmmeeeerr. This is a forum. I didn't know we were getting a grade on this.

You guys are dropping names like Majerus, Coach K and Izzo. You have to put them at the same position in their coaching careers as CC. So let's compare Coach K, Majerus, Izzo and CC before the three HOF's you threw at me began their head coaching careers. It's easy to shout those names out after their careers have gotten to where they are now. And yes, there are obviously more factors that play into what a recruit wants out of a coach than the coach's playing career. My point is that if a coach has a successful playing career, it is noticed by the recruit. It may also give the coach more credibility when explaining his game plan or forcing his players to do a drill he may dislike. And I'm sorry youu doont liiike my Graaaammmmeeeerr. This is a forum. I didn't know we were getting a grade on this.

You won't. But you also won't be taken seriously.

Why would you have to go to the same point in their careers to determine if a player would rather play for a coach with NBA experience? Most kids want to play for a successful coach who can help him maximize his game. Whether or not he played in the NBA is probably way down the list. And if you have to use your playing career to "force" a player to do a drill he doesn't like, you probably need to quit coaching immediately

Yes. But I think CC would bring more to the table on the recruiting end of things. I think recruiting is our biggest need right now. Bo Ryan's ball boy who had coaching stint in the D league may have more coaching experience, but this team's biggest problem is a lack of talent.

You realize that most of the recruiting is done by assistants right?

Billiken Law, your right being a successful player won't help becoming a good coach. Players would rather be coached by bad former players. Because guys like Doc Rivers, Lenny Wilkens, Pat Riley, Kevin Ollie, And Larry Brown never turned out to be good coaches.

Billiken Law, wait so now they have to be college coaches only? Being a successful coach in the NBA doesn't matter? And Ollie had a successful college playing career enough to play long term in the NBA, then turned himself into an immediate star as a college coach. Once again any player would rather be coached by a former successful player rather than a player with less notable success. That's a no brainer.

NBA and college are 2 different games. Look at the coaches who couldn't cut it in the NBA but win titles in college.

Recruits want to develop and win, they don't care that their coach was a NBA star. Otherwise none would have played for Majerus, Izzo, Smart, Miller, Bennett, Larrenega, Stevens (a former pharmaceutical rep!), Coack K, Bo Ryan or Calipari, among others, and Clyde Drexler and Isaiah Thomas would have multiple national titles and multiple programs wouldn't have passed on Mark Jackson.

Who told you that? The head coach is just as involved with recruiting as the assistants. And if that's your point then your boy Tanny B, who has been there significantly longer than CC, hasn't quite brought in the cream of the crop over the last couple of years.

My boy? I don't want him head coach I just think your assertions are dog

My assertions that playing in the NBA helps you as a coach? Or that CC would be the best HC option off of the Billiken bench? Or that the head coach is just as involved with recruiting as the assistants? Which one of those insane statements do you disagree with?

Everything you've said. Nothing you said is factually correct....

1. The NBA is a very different game.

2. Calbert has proven nothing. Calbert and Tanner have the same years of coaching experience and Tanner studied under a legendary coach in Bo Ryan. Nobody from the Billiken bench should be promoted to head coach but I'll take the Bo Ryan coaching tree every time.

3. Assistant coaches are the ones tasked with scouting players and recruiting them. Sure the head coach will reach out to them eventually but it's the assistants that make first contact, assess a players skill and build the relationship that eventually is closed by the head coach.

4. SIt down and shut up you petulant child.

Everything you've said. Nothing you said is factually correct....

1. The NBA is a very different game.

2. Calbert has proven nothing. Calbert and Tanner have the same years of coaching experience and Tanner studied under a legendary coach in Bo Ryan. Nobody from the Billiken bench should be promoted to head coach but I'll take the Bo Ryan coaching tree every time.

3. Assistant coaches are the ones tasked with scouting players and recruiting them. Sure the head coach will reach out to them eventually but it's the assistants that make first contact, assess a players skill and build the relationship that eventually is closed by the head coach.

4. SIt down and shut up you petulant child.

I think we should all just agree that no one on the current staff deserves to be here next year, let alone be the head coach. Maybe keep Danny brown to assist in the transition.

Anyone suggesting otherwise is crazy. This program needs to be cleaned out entirely. A new coach will hire new assistants.

You obviously know nothing about how college basketball recruiting works. The HC calls all the shots with recruits. He makes just as many recruiting trips as the assistants. And yes, the NBA is a very different game, but you can't tell me that continuing your playing career in the NBA doesn't help your coaching career later on. You also stated that Tanner and CC have been coaching for the same amount of time. Tanner has been on the Billikens bench longer. So with your assessment of assistants doing all the recruiting, once again your Bo Ryan Jr. doesn't seem to be doing to well in the recruiting department.

You obviously know nothing about how college basketball recruiting works. The HC calls all the shots with recruits. He makes just as many recruiting trips as the assistants. And yes, the NBA is a very different game, but you can't tell me that continuing your playing career in the NBA doesn't help your coaching career later on. You also stated that Tanner and CC have been coaching for the same amount of time. Tanner has been on the Billikens bench longer. So with your assessment of assistants doing all the recruiting, once again your Bo Ryan Jr. doesn't seem to be doing to well in the recruiting department.

It's now 100% clear you aren't reading. I don't want Tanner Bronson as head coach. Did the flooding drive you out from under your bridge? Hopefully the water recedes soon.

You stated that you would take Bo Ryan's ballboy over CC. That disgusting statement is what led me to your love of Tanny B. Nice flood joke, you must have been waiting to say that one all day.

05 has made a reasoned argument, and stated quite clearly that this staff needs to go. What is your problem? We will not have an interim coach. Crews will be gone in march, not before. Come off it dude. Tanner and cheaney are neither worthy to lead this team. The track record is not there as of now. If they want to coach they will have to start elsewhere. Being part of this disaster is murder on a coaching resume.

If and when Crews is fired [retires] I believe you do need to keep someone for the transition. Rick kept Thorpe. Who that should be is up to the new coach and who might want to stay.

If the new coach decided he wanted to keep someone around for the transition I think the choice would be Calvert (love it) or Danny Brown. They seem the least connected to Crews and the nonsense that has gone on the past two seasons.

I remember when we were recruiting Jayson Tatum and the video of him riding thru campus on a golf cart. The thought of him on a golf court or being recruited by a staff made up of Crews, Platt, Bronson, Cheaney, Brown, and Nishida made me laugh, just such an odd mix of individuals and not surprising they struggle to recruit (beyond Cheaney). Just a comically bad coaching staff, I hope we saved some money on these nerds.