In bounds play

It doesn't surprise me that much that the FG% is lower coming out of a timeout. The other team has had a chance to set their defense too.

I'd be interested to compare the FG% when a play is called vs. just throwing the ball over the half court line. That would be an apples to apples comparison on how much sense Crews' decision not to run inbounds plays makes.

It doesn't surprise me that much that the FG% is lower coming out of a timeout. The other team has had a chance to set their defense too.

I'd be interested to compare the FG% when a play is called vs. just throwing the ball over the half court line. That would be an apples to apples comparison on how much sense Crews' decision not to run inbounds plays makes.

It would be interesting, but the overall point is you are not likely to be losing anything given the talent and experience SLU has to just get the ball in and run the offense.

It would be interesting, but the overall point is you are not likely to be losing anything given the talent and experience SLU has to just get the ball in and run the offense.

I can see both sides of the debate there. But after seeing the team throw the ball back court time after time and fail to score points, it would have been nice to see at least an attempt at an inbounds play. Weird to stick with an unorthodox strategy that just isn't working. That applies to the free throw defense thing as well. When it was working the previous two years, I didn't complain. But conceding the rebounds just to have our defense set certainly didn't pay dividends in practice this year, and yet Crews continued with the same strategy all season.

I can see both sides of the debate there. But after seeing the team throw the ball back court time after time and fail to score points, it would have been nice to see at least an attempt at an inbounds play. Weird to stick with an unorthodox strategy that just isn't working. That applies to the free throw defense thing as well. When it was working the previous two years, I didn't complain. But conceding the rebounds just to have our defense set certainly didn't pay dividends in practice this year, and yet Crews continued with the same strategy all season.

I also don't like the reliance upon the half court inbounds play as much as we did because it concedes an offensive threat and is predictable. As to the FT lane, again, I am not a fan of it but in fairness to Crews, the other benefit is to avoid the picking up a dumb foul. The last few years, it did make more sense in that DE was undersized and RL was prone to picking up soft fouls (such as over the back) so when we relied upon our 5 Seniors as much as we did, it made more sense to avoid the dumb fouls with . Also, it probably gave our 5 Seniors a little bit of a rest/break while on the court. But this year, playing a roster of 12 with relative parity sure made the technique look worse.

I think it was Gregg Marshall, but I heard a coach say something a couple days ago about how for teams that struggle on offense or teams that are overmatched, inbounds plays can be a great equalizer. He says you need to slow things down and have a set play that can get you a look at the basket because you probably won't in your normal offense.