OT: Forbes America's Top Colleges

Really impressive when you think about it, let's hope Pestello continues SLU's growth

Really a load of horseshite when you read it closely. I'm especially amazed that Forbes would get caught up in a "list" that's demonstrably ridiculous from a statistical standpoint.

Here's why Forbes says we jumped all those spots:

St. Louis University (191st now, 524th in 2009) also ranks well by keeping costs low. Given the type of students St. Louis University serves we would expect to see a much higher debt burdens than we actually see. In fact, they rank 13th in this component of our ranking nationwide. Additionally, SLU ranks in the top 20 percent of our list with the lowest average debt load.

The type of students S(aint) Louis University serves? What the hell does that mean? "Hey, you guys specialize in trailer-trash Midwesterners (and you're basically just a commuter college, aren't you?) -- we'd think those kids would have loads of debt when they graduate."

A much higher debt burdens? Clearly, Forbes hires writers and editors from the top schools.

In fact, they rank 13th in this component (the only antecedent I see here is "debt burdens." Perhaps "cost," but how do they determine "cost"?) of our ranking nationwide. Additionally, SLU ranks in the top 20 percent of our list with the lowest average debt load. I keep reading these two sentences over and over, and I still can't figure out whether they're intelligible, contradictory or redundant.

Really a load of horseshite when you read it closely. I'm especially amazed that Forbes would get caught up in a "list" that's demonstrably ridiculous from a statistical standpoint.

Here's why Forbes says we jumped all those spots:

The type of students S(aint) Louis University serves? What the hell does that mean? "Hey, you guys specialize in trailer-trash Midwesterners (and you're basically just a commuter college, aren't you?) -- we'd think those kids would have loads of debt when they graduate."

A much higher debt burdens? Clearly, Forbes hires writers and editors from the top schools.

In fact, they rank 13th in this component (the only antecedent I see here is "debt burdens." Perhaps "cost," but how do they determine "cost"?) of our ranking nationwide. Additionally, SLU ranks in the top 20 percent of our list with the lowest average debt load. I keep reading these two sentences over and over, and I still can't figure out whether they're intelligible, contradictory or redundant.

Pretty good points, you do have to wonder about the basis for various ranking criteria. Still, "good publicity" is always nice, though whether this publicity is actually good or not is subjective...

I didn't look at the whole list but did look at our Catholic brethren. We're a pretty good value compared to most. BC, ND, and GU are all in the $60k annual tuition. Then X, MU, Nova all in the $40+ range. At $38k SLU looks pretty good if you're taking out student loans and planning on paying them back.

I think I heard that X was going through a tough time and finding it difficult to recruit students to X over some of the nearby public schools.

Ohio does offer the in state kid a lot of good state school options for sure. Miami, Ohio, OSU. Missouri not so much.

Ohio does offer the in state kid a lot of good state school options for sure. Miami, Ohio, OSU. Missouri not so much.

A terrible load of bull, and with 38k a year representing "value" I wouldn't be surprised if there are plenty of SLU alumni who are perfectly happy when their children elect to go to some of the fine public institutions in the state of Missouri. Most of my peers (who went to both private and state schools) are just now, almost a decade out of college, making more than that a year.

The estimated cost per year for a SLU undergrad is $49k. for Mizzou it's $25k for an in-state student, $39k for out-of-state.

So what's the takeaway from that supposed to be for somebody making $38k a year 10 years out of college? You're going to be screwed trying to pay off your debt load (be it $200k or $100k) regardless of where you choose to go to school, I suppose...

I tried figuring that sentence out from their perspective too and was just baffled. What "type of students" would they expect to see from a private Catholic school in a major metro area five hours away from the closest neighboring cities? Commuter kids from middle and working class backgrounds in the surrounding area, plus more kids from out of town sent there by religious/more affluent families, plus other sundry students helped out by scholarships? That would seem to be the logical profile for an outsider.

In all cases, that profile would lead me to expect a LOWER debt load than other "types of students" (whatever that means exactly). I went to a private university in the same area that was even more of a stereotypical "commuter school" than SLU for undergrad (Webster--which has since undermined the popular perception of its main campus by launching evermore piddly satellites in increasingly far-flung locales, but that's another story entirely). Anyway, the main reason I chose a school from that profile was to keep my undergrad debt load (relatively) low. What would cause them to expect a HIGHER debt load for SLU students, especially in an apples to apples comparison with other private schools? Because as much as I know some people would like to turn this into another SLU/UMSL/MU/UI battle, I really don't think anyone familiar with the StL area needs Forbes to tell them SLU is going to be more expensive than those particular alternatives.

It's just amazing how much the cost has risen in the last 10 years. Tuition for me at Mizzou was around 5k as an Missouri resident. It's now doubled. I seem to recall SLU being closer to 20k? I'm a little fuzzier but that's roughly doubled as well. Has the value of an undergraduate degree doubled? I really don't think it has.

It's just amazing how much the cost has risen in the last 10 years. Tuition for me at Mizzou was around 5k as an Missouri resident. It's now doubled. I seem to recall SLU being closer to 20k? I'm a little fuzzier but that's roughly doubled as well. Has the value of an undergraduate degree doubled? I really don't think it has.

Wait until you have kids and you have to figure out a way to put them through school. It keeps me up at night sometimes.

Wait until you have kids and you have to figure out a way to put them through school. It keeps me up at night sometimes.

Preschool for my son is more than twice as much as my parents paid for me to go to CBC. Educational inflation has been worse than medical inflation.