OT-It's time - Guinness World Record Charity baseball game

We're doing it again. This game is going to be played for the city of Joplin to aid in the recovery from the devastaing tornadoes of a couple of years ago. Having met and gotten to know Jeff Hafer (former Mizzou bball player and Joplin HS coach) and Jake Williams (a Joplin middle school coach) during the 112 hour basketball game we played last year and listening to their stories of their schools being completely demolished and of their friends and family who lost everything and some who lost their lives ... playing this game for them really means a lot to me, much more so than any of the other charities we've played for. (Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital, Gene Slays Boys Club, and Backstoppers, in addition to Joplin once before) To date, we've raised over 500K in 4 seperate events. I know some of you have supported these events in the past and if you did, I thank you, very, very much.

This game is being played at the Gateway Grizzlies Stadium in Illinois just off 255. We will begin play Friday May 17th at 6 am and play until around 7 pm on Sunday May 19th. It's free to come out and watch, but you will have a chance to make a donation at the game if you'd like. We will have a silent auction going on along with the opportunity to be a bat boy or girl for an hour for a $50 contribution. How much fun would that be for a kid to participate in a Guinness World Record baseball game and help such and amazing cause. Here is a link www.baseballforacause.lockerdome.com where you can make a donation. If you do please put my name Jim Hoffman and billikens.com in the comments box so we'll know where the donation came from. Every donation is 100% tax deductable also. We could also always use some silent auction items, if anyone has anything they'd like to donate, please contact me at [email protected]. For silent auction items, we need to know in the next day or so to get everything set up. I can pick it up from you or we could arrange for you to bring it by the game if needed.

I am one of only four people (to be 3 after this one) to have played in every one of these Guinness World Record setting events. They truly mean a lot to me and I can't tell you how much I appreciate anyone who supports it. If you can't make a donation (and believe me, I know for so many people funds are tight and/or you have other personal causes that you already support) please just come out and see a bit of the game. Like I said it's free, we'd just love the support. We also have another Billikens.com poster who's handle I can't remember (Billikendave I think) who is playing in I believe his 3rd event. Dave chime in if you read this.

I also want to thank Steve for always allowing me to post this off topic event each time we play. Hope to see a few of you out at the game. Thanks again for the support.

Jim Hoffman

We're doing it again. This game is going to be played for the city of Joplin to aid in the recovery from the devastaing tornadoes of a couple of years ago. Having met and gotten to know Jeff Hafer (former Mizzou bball player and Joplin HS coach) and Jake Williams (a Joplin middle school coach) during the 112 hour basketball game we played last year and listening to their stories of their schools being completely demolished and of their friends and family who lost everything and some who lost their lives ... playing this game for them really means a lot to me, much more so than any of the other charities we've played for. (Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital, Gene Slays Boys Club, and Backstoppers, in addition to Joplin once before) To date, we've raised over 500K in 4 seperate events. I know some of you have supported these events in the past and if you did, I thank you, very, very much.

This game is being played at the Gateway Grizzlies Stadium in Illinois just off 255. We will begin play Friday May 17th at 6 am and play until around 7 pm on Sunday May 19th. It's free to come out and watch, but you will have a chance to make a donation at the game if you'd like. We will have a silent auction going on along with the opportunity to be a bat boy or girl for an hour for a $50 contribution. How much fun would that be for a kid to participate in a Guinness World Record baseball game and help such and amazing cause. Here is a link www.baseballforacause.lockerdome.com where you can make a donation. If you do please put my name Jim Hoffman and billikens.com in the comments box so we'll know where the donation came from. Every donation is 100% tax deductable also. We could also always use some silent auction items, if anyone has anything they'd like to donate, please contact me at [email protected]. For silent auction items, we need to know in the next day or so to get everything set up. I can pick it up from you or we could arrange for you to bring it by the game if needed.

I am one of only four people (to be 3 after this one) to have played in every one of these Guinness World Record setting events. They truly mean a lot to me and I can't tell you how much I appreciate anyone who supports it. If you can't make a donation (and believe me, I know for so many people funds are tight and/or you have other personal causes that you already support) please just come out and see a bit of the game. Like I said it's free, we'd just love the support. We also have another Billikens.com poster who's handle I can't remember (Billikendave I think) who is playing in I believe his 3rd event. Dave chime in if you read this.

I also want to thank Steve for always allowing me to post this off topic event each time we play. Hope to see a few of you out at the game. Thanks again for the support.

Jim Hoffman

i'm not even gonna read it, skip. i've done it before and i know it's incredible, and i know you're the balls, and i know i'd fuoking love to participate. coolest thing ever. truly. rock on.

That would be me. I read - and am thoroughly entertained by - this board every day, but rarely post. As different as those first two posts were stylistically, they are both spot-on. It is an incredibly fun and fulfilling experience to be a part of.

I know that Jim has been working his tail off for months securing food donations to keep all of us players going for 60+ hours. Kudos to him for the huge investment of time he's made. When he says that this is near and dear to him, he's not blowing smoke.

I'm fairly certain that Jim and I are playing on the same squad again this year. If you do stop by and say hello, I would love to meet you.

Here is a list of silent auction items. Notice the sit in with Ramsey on 101.1. We need a Bills fan to win that and regardless of what Ramsey says, bring the conversation back to Billiken basketball. It didn't copy over well, but I think you can tell what is what

Candle -P90X Chin-up Bar- Picture -Vintner’s Reserve Wine Opener- Candle Table Decoration- $25 Purina (lot of 6) - OGIO Traveler Bag- Swiss Army Watch- Cards vs. Cubs sec 166 seats 1 and 2- Year of Identity Theft protection (lot of 3)- One Week Condo Rental in Destin, FL. -Conceal Cary Class (lot of 4)- Golf Lessons from Wil Schatz Nutrition Package Richard Petty Driving Experience Orlando Pace signed mini superbowl football 1 Lou Brock baseball card 1 Brooks Robinson baseball card 2012 mint proof set 1 Dozen ProV1 Golf balls Gift basket Author signed childrens book - Don't Forget To Take Your Umbrella Three Hour Self Defense Seminar Sports Memorabilia regarding St Louis Football Cardinal Larry Wilson Portrait Package at Wagoner Portrait Studios On Ramp sessions for Crossfit Xtra Mile (tshirt & water bottle) Fitness Regimen Supplement Package Hitting/pitching lesson package from All Star Performance High Visibility hooded sweatshirt, leather work gloves and safety glasses Senior Apparel - Jostens Ballpark Hilton 1 night stay Vintage style yankees Jacket - medium Sit in with Bob Ramsey on ESPN 101.1 on Zach and Rammer Show Oral Surgery Examination & Panoramic X-Ray & up to 4 tooth extractions David Eckstein 8x10 Autographed David Eckstein autographed Ball Spa Package Hot Air Baloon Ride $25 Gift Certificate to Ginghams Gift Certificate - Triple Lakes Golf Autographed 8x10 of Jesse Biddle - Phillies #1 Prospect Autographed baseball card of Jesse Biddle Ion Titanium Necklace black/white adult med 5 Point Batting Tee 33" Marucci Bat $250 Gift Certificate Plato's Closet $250 Gift Certificate Once Upon a Child 4 VIP tickets for Anything Goes at the Fox May 29th 1 Night Stay at Marriott West Hotel 1 Night Stay at Union Station Hotel - DoubleTree (w/ breakfast for 2) Nike Diamond Pro Elite Left Handed Fielders Glove with carrying case Game Helmet signed by players of both teams St Louis Cardinals Opening Day 2013 Base Nike VRS S8 Adjustable Head RH Golf Driver 10.5 degree Reactor Fusion Watch Mizzou Stained Glass WineBottle Char-Broil Commercial Series BBQ tool set HP Office Jet Pro 8600 all in one color printer Box of 25 Cigars from Table 36 30 minutes at batting cages 2 hours of batting instruction $50 gift certificate to Lombardos 20th street $15 gift certificate to Maggie Obrians $15 gift certificate to TGIF 30 day pass to 24 Hour Fitness (up to 4 people) Stan Musial autographed bat Sam Bradford autographed jersey Rodget Saffold autographed football Michelob Ultra golf bag & golf for 4 at winghaven country club Budweiser baseball cooler Javy Lopez autographed dinger bat Eric Chavez autographed dinger bat Dinger Maple bat Dinger left hand 1st base mitt Small Dinger titanium red/white necklace Med Dinger titanium pink/black/white necklace Small Dinger pink/black/white bracelet Size 11.5" Verdero 3/4 molded cleats Dinger 30" Duffle bag 2 Tickets Cards vs Giants June 2 - Sec 507 Row 21 seats 19 & 20 2 Tickets Cards vs Diamond Backs June 6 - Sec 507 Row 21 seats 19 & 20 8x10 autographed photo of Titans Chris Brown Whitey Herzog autographed baseball 2 Missour Valley Conference All Session Tickets 1 framed picture of opening day honoring stan musial 2 tickets cards vs cubs aug 9th Carlos Beltran bobble head A Patriot's Calling by Dan Rooney - autographed 4 Tickets Cardinals sec 171 row 3 4 Tickets Cardinals sec 171 row 3 4 Tickets Cardinals sec 171 row 3 4 Tickets Cardinals sec 171 row 3 Autographed Andy McDonald hockey stick Personal Training - Kizer Performance & Fitness Keurig Brewer 8x10 signed and framed Scott Rolen picture 8x10 signed and framed Edgar Renteria picture Upper deck 1990 set baseball cards sealed Uppder deck Michael Jordan 23 card retirement set QB club mammoth cards of barry sanders and jerry ricce Ken Griffey Jr 300th home run MLBPA 3D card 5x7 Car Care Kit

Jim, I wish to apologize to you. I had the wrong impression about you from our prior interchanges in this board. I am shamed for my error. I want to tell you I think this program you sponsor is just what needs to be done for the people of Joplin. I fully support it and have sent my donation to the program, just as I am sending my apologies to you.

Jim, I wish to apologize to you. I had the wrong impression about you from our prior interchanges in this board. I am shamed for my error. I want to tell you I think this program you sponsor is just what needs to be done for the people of Joplin. I fully support it and have sent my donation to the program, just as I am sending my apologies to you.

No need to apologize. The interaction and sometimes the disagreements on the board are what make it fun. Everyone has their own personality and I tend to be a bit sarcastic when I disagree with someone. Many of us have gotten to know each other over the years and when you count people among your friends not just a name on a board it makes it changes the interaction between you. I'd just say don't take disagreements on a message board on sarcastic comments made on one any different than you would if it was your friends sitting at a bar having drinks giving you trouble.

Thanks for the support, the players, myself, and the people of Joplin really appreciate it.

The game went great, I was on the winning team for the 1st time in one of these baseball games. We ended around 62:30 and the record was certified on the spot making it our 5th time setting a Guinness World Record. I don't know the totals yet, but it should push our total money raised to over 550K in the 5 games.

The older I get the harder this is becoming on my body. I can barely walk today, my knee is probably 25% bigger than normal along with a wrist that is swollen and sore from being hit by a pitch. Today is definately a day of recovery.

No need to apologize. The interaction and sometimes the disagreements on the board are what make it fun. Everyone has their own personality and I tend to be a bit sarcastic when I disagree with someone. Many of us have gotten to know each other over the years and when you count people among your friends not just a name on a board it makes it changes the interaction between you. I'd just say don't take disagreements on a message board on sarcastic comments made on one any different than you would if it was your friends sitting at a bar having drinks giving you trouble.

Thanks for the support, the players, myself, and the people of Joplin really appreciate it.

The game went great, I was on the winning team for the 1st time in one of these baseball games. We ended around 62:30 and the record was certified on the spot making it our 5th time setting a Guinness World Record. I don't know the totals yet, but it should push our total money raised to over 550K in the 5 games.

The older I get the harder this is becoming on my body. I can barely walk today, my knee is probably 25% bigger than normal along with a wrist that is swollen and sore from being hit by a pitch. Today is definately a day of recovery.

Jim, I'm pretty sure Ch 5 showed you sleeping last night when they did their piece on the game. At least it was somebody that looked like you sleeping...

Not me. I was on the field when he was there. I was coming to bat when one of the guys JC Rudden was being interviewed. I'm in the background and you'd only know it was me by my number. We were having fun and a little punch drunk when he was there. He thought we were crazy, we decided for an hour every player on our team would be referred to as daddy. So every player that came up or made a play it was ... come on daddy, get some good wood, stroke your wood, etc ... the wood, balls, and daddy lines were plentiful and ridiculously stupid and funny afer the 50 hour mark.

Hello Sulfanskip, and thank you. The day I found I was getting old was one day when my youngest child was around 12, he is 25 now, and we were in our driveway shooting some hoops. Not for long and not anything very strenuous. I limped for a couple of weeks after that. I could not believe it, how could that be? Then I got it, I am not 25 any longer, I thought. Big surprise for me at the time.

I am glad you had a grand time playing and that you won the game. This was a trifecta because you also got the deep satisfaction of doing something good for someone else that really needed it. Perfect time if I may say so.

i am playing basketball in the senior olympics sunday. luckily someone saw fit to schedule a major holiday for monday as i suspect i wont be able to move.

Billiken_roy, just stick bags of ice on bare skin at every spot that hurts and lie down without moving a muscle for 30 minutes. It is not nice for the first few minutes, then it goes numb. It is nice if you can go to sleep while this is going on. Make sure to set some kind of a timer to tell you when to stop. Do this as many times (3 or 4) as it is necessary. You will feel much better afterwards. Do not use heat, unless you want to go from a hot shower to the ice bags immediately after. Heat alone will not do the trick. All the best and good luck in the senior olympics.

One disclaimer, this works only for musculoskeletal pain, if your pain is from something else it will not work.