Tubby Smith out at Minn..

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tubby had an incredible amount of success at Kentucky, where the pressure is beyond intense. I didn't understand his firing there (for Billy Gillespie, no less). At Minnesota, I can understand them wanting to be in the top half of an extremely competitive, growing Big Ten. But I don't know who they're going to hire who will give them lightning in a bottle.

I could be wrong, but I thought Tubby Smith left Kentucky for Minnesota volunarily -- because of the intense pressure. I don't remember his being fired.

I could be wrong, but I thought Tubby Smith left Kentucky for Minnesota volunarily -- because of the intense pressure. I don't remember his being fired.

Smith resigned from UK. Wasn't fired. Probably wouldn't have been fired for another year. He was hated by most of the UK fanbase.

His championship was with Pitino's leftovers. He never missed the Tournament in 10 seasons. He never lost a game in the first round of the Tournament there. He won the SEC Tournament and regular season SEC title 3 times each, not including the first three post-Pitino years. 3 Elite 8 runs, 2 Sweet Sixteens, a few second round finishes. He never had a "bad" season.

Yep, and he beat Coach Majerus Ute's in a very competitive Championship Game. Coach Majerus had a bad habit of losing to KY in NCAA Tourney games, but then again so have many other teams.

i dont think tubby smith ever was on a coaching staff with slick rick pitino

Tubby was a assistant of Pitino along with Herb Sendek and Billy Donovan. Tubby had some nice years at Georgia and Tulsa prior to Kentucky. At Kentucky, I believe every year he had them in the NCAA's with a nat championship, a couple of both sweet 16's and elite 8s. Since he was at Kentucky 10 years, it was just not with Pitino's players.

He would have been at least nice to consider.