School Records

slufan13

Was bored today so I figured I'd try to see what records are attainable this season.

Got all current stats from here http://www.slubillikens.com/fls/27200/MBB/stats/HISTCARR.HTM#12

Got the current records from here http://slubillikens.com/fls/27200/MBB/201112/Recordbook.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=27200

Kwamain Mitchell:

- Currently sits at 15th in career points. If he scores as many points as last year he'll finish 5th all time. If we play 34 games again and he averages 19.1 ppg, he would pass Bonner for most all time.

- Currently ranks 8th all time in assists. Only needs 91 assists for the most all time. He has had at least 106 assists in every season.

- Currently tied for 6th in steals. Would need to shatter his career high in steals for most all time, but looks like he'll finish 2nd in steals.

- Currently 5th in 3 pointers made. Won't catch Clagget, Lisch or Highmark, but should finish in 4th all time.

- 13th in games started. He would tie for most all time if we play 34 games again (assuming he starts every game)

- He's played 3214 minutes. Averages 1071 minutes a season. If he does that again, will finish 3rd all time and just 21 minutes short of 2nd all time.

Cody Ellis:

- Currently 9th all time in 3 pointers made. Could finish in the top 5 if he makes as many as last season.

Dwayne Evans:

- Currently with 450 rebounds. If he gets 450 more the next 2 seasons, he'll finish 4th all time.

Mike McCall:

- 72 career steals. If he does that again over the next 2 years, he'll be in the top 5 all time.

Jordair Jett:

- 83 career steals. Probably has the best chance to pass Bonner for most all time, but he'll have to average about 55 steals a season.

Just trying to find something else to talk about on here. Looking at all of this, stats-wise Kwamain Mitchell could go down as one of the greatest Billikens of all time

Kwamain Mitchell:

- Currently sits at 15th in career points. If he scores as many points as last year he'll finish 5th all time. If we play 34 games again and he averages 19.1 ppg, he would pass Bonner for most all time.

- Currently ranks 8th all time in assists. Only needs 91 assists for the most all time. He has had at least 106 assists in every season.

- Currently tied for 6th in steals. Would need to shatter his career high in steals for most all time, but looks like he'll finish 2nd in steals.

- Currently 5th in 3 pointers made. Won't catch Clagget, Lisch or Highmark, but should finish in 4th all time.

- 13th in games started. He would tie for most all time if we play 34 games again (assuming he starts every game)

- He's played 3214 minutes. Averages 1071 minutes a season. If he does that again, will finish 3rd all time and just 21 minutes short of 2nd all time.

Just trying to find something else to talk about on here. Looking at all of this, stats-wise Kwamain Mitchell could go down as one of the greatest Billikens of all time

This dude is going to have Majerus yelling from his hospital room like Shooter and Gerry Bertier combined this season. Bigtime year for Kwamain coming up.

This dude is going to have Majerus yelling from his hospital room like Shooter and Gerry Bertier combined this season. Bigtime year for Kwamain coming up.

You left out the best hospital cheerleader of all... Lou Brown. I love this British ######, I may just move to England.

Interesting from KenPom blog:

Fewest mid-range shots

(as a percentage of total shots)

- Min 20 3PA and 20 shots inside 6’…Kwamain Mitchell, Saint Louis (4/57, 7.0%).

- Min 50 3PA and 50 shots inside 6’…Elijah Johnson, Kansas (50/330, 15.2%).

(as a percentage of 2-point shots)

- Min 20 3PA and 20 shots inside 6’…Mitchell (4/25, 16.0%).

- Min 50 3PA and 50 shots inside 6’…Vander Blue, Marquette (40/203, 19.7%)

With these categories, I wanted to identify the guys that had the kind of game where they would have the opportunity to take mid-range shots and then see who passed them up the most. These are guys that ultimately took shots at the rim and from long-range more exclusively than anyone else. Johnson was a better finisher than Blue, making 66% of his shots (62/94) near the rim while hitting a measly 36% of his 50 attempts from mid-range.

http://kenpom.com/blog/

Interesting from KenPom blog:

Fewest mid-range shots

(as a percentage of total shots)

- Min 20 3PA and 20 shots inside 6’…Kwamain Mitchell, Saint Louis (4/57, 7.0%).

- Min 50 3PA and 50 shots inside 6’…Elijah Johnson, Kansas (50/330, 15.2%).

(as a percentage of 2-point shots)

- Min 20 3PA and 20 shots inside 6’…Mitchell (4/25, 16.0%).

- Min 50 3PA and 50 shots inside 6’…Vander Blue, Marquette (40/203, 19.7%)

With these categories, I wanted to identify the guys that had the kind of game where they would have the opportunity to take mid-range shots and then see who passed them up the most. These are guys that ultimately took shots at the rim and from long-range more exclusively than anyone else. Johnson was a better finisher than Blue, making 66% of his shots (62/94) near the rim while hitting a measly 36% of his 50 attempts from mid-range.

http://kenpom.com/blog/

-can Kenpom be used to settle the great Jett shooting debate???? (and Jett is in a lot of the pics of Rick published in the last 5 days)

I wrote this review of Kwamain on another board a few months ago

After looking at Kwamain's number in depth I felt a little bit better than I had during the season. Still think he needs to change his game for us to be a sweet sixteen caliber team.

The big key was he didn't have the ball in his hand nearly as much last season as he did in 09-10. His %s were on pace with his career totals or better last season.

In 09-10 Kwamain had 19 games with 13 or more shot attempts, last season just 8. That is a drastic dropoff.

Kwamain used to be a slashing pg. He became primarily a jump shooter last season. He's been drifting towards becoming a spot up shooter so far his first 3 season.

His freshman year 42% of his points were scored on 2PT FGs, just 36% on 3s, & 22% on FTs.

Soph his 2PT FGs accounted for 49% of his points, high for a small guard. 3s just 35% and FTs just 16. His FTs dropping tells you he is taking a lot more shots away from the basket and outside the lane.

This past season the trend continued. Now Kwamain scored the vast amount of his points from 3, 46.2%. His points on 2PT FGs dropped to a career low 40% also his FTs % on points made was a career low to 13.5%

Kwamain came in as a slashing lead guard with some 3 pt range. His 2nd year he started extending his range, taking more jumpers but not comfortable enough to shoot all 3s. Now last year that is exactly what he did.

Kwamain has never been a bad 3 point shooter, but certainly never great. Always at about a 35-36% clip. If he wants to become a 3 point volume shooter like he was last year that pct needs to start inching up toward 40%. If this doesn't occur he does need to mix in more drives, especially getting to the line more.

You can say Kwamain has drifted outside because we have had solid post games the last 2 seasons. I don't buy this. I see a player who has fallen in love with his jumper. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, it does put a hard cap on how good this team can be. If Kwamain continues shooting the same we'll do about as well as we did last season. If he can replicate last year's performance, plus getting to the line 130 times instead of 80 it could be the difference between competing for the A10 title and winning it.

Mitchell has become a spot up 3 point shooter. This probably is not playing to his strengths. He was away from the game for a year, this tactic probably helped him adjust back into D-1 ball quicker. Still he needs to return to how he played his first couple years. He can still shoot 3s but he has to get to the basket more often and get to the line as well. The more free throws Mitchell gets the better the team will be, and will offset some of the concerns of post offense.