5 Most Underrated Players in College Basketball

Kwamain listed as one of the 5 most underrated players in college basketball.

Here's the link ( http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8156350/highlighting-five-most-underrated-players-country-ncb ) It's insider but hopefully to avoid any stupid arguments, I'll just post the part about Kwamain.

Kwamain Mitchell, Saint Louis Billikens

Mitchell and Brian Conklin were both highly -- and, on offense, almost identically -- effective for Saint Louis in 2011-12. But while Conklin made first-team All-Atlantic 10, Mitchell was relegated to the third team. Blame Mitchell's mediocre free throw shooting, I guess. The junior shot just 68 percent at the line, but everything else was highly impressive.

Mitchell functioned as an efficient wing in the body of a 5-foot-10 point guard, making 37 percent of his 3s and, incredibly, 53 percent of his 2s -- all while running a solid point and playing rugged Rick Majerus-brand D. If Mitchell isn't at least in the hunt for this year's Frances Pomeroy Naismith Award, something will be badly amiss.

There has been a LOT of solid press for the Bills since the end of last season. It's still hard to get used to.

I'd be highly surprised if Kwamain is not at least 1st team A-10 and 3rd team All-American. I really think that it is going to all come together for Mitchell and we will definitely remember him as one of the truly great Bills of all time.

-great pub for the program and KM

-yes KM and all Billikens, let's raise that ft%

-jbizz, are you talking about pre-season, post-season or both for KM's awards?

-a bit confused if KM was 'an efficient wing....while running a solid point.."

-13, thanks for posting the article!!!!

-great pub for the program and KM

-yes KM and all Billikens, let's raise that ft%

-jbizz, are you talking about pre-season, post-season or both for KM's awards?

-a bit confused if KM was 'an efficient wing....while running a solid point.."

-13, thanks for posting the article!!!!

I'm talking post-season. Pre-season is usually all about the buzz, and even though the program and Kwamain are getting some right now, there won't be enough for All-American honors before the season starts.

I think the aspirations you have attached to Kwamain are understandable but there will be three factors in this, two of which he likely has no control over. 1) his production, 2) how others in the league do, and 3) a fickle voting body. Who elects the all A-10 team anyway? is it fans? ADs? Coaches? Sportswriters? You just never know.

Who are the guards he'l be going up against? The A10 appears stacked. I don't even know who's at Butler or VCU. But there's Khalif Wyatt and Aaron Brown at Temple. Mike McCall and Jordair Jett on his own team (could split votes taking some away from him; doubt voters would go for two guards on same team). Charlon Kloof at St. Bonaventure. Chaz Williams,, Freddie Riley and, depening on how he's listed, Raphiael Putney at Umass. Duren, Mills and Galloway at La Salle. Dillard at Dayton. Jones and Galloway at St. Joe's. Anthony and Brothers at Richmond. Kromah at GeeDub. Henry at Charlotte. Barron at Rhode Island. The competition will be steep.

Doable, but if he does win such honors, the year will be fantastic. I don't care if we get no individual honors -- Big Dance or nothing.

I think the aspirations you have attached to Kwamain are understandable but there will be three factors in this, two of which he likely has no control over. 1) his production, 2) how others in the league do, and 3) a fickle voting body. Who elects the all A-10 team anyway? is it fans? ADs? Coaches? Sportswriters? You just never know.

Who are the guards he'l be going up against? The A10 appears stacked. I don't even know who's at Butler or VCU. But there's Khalif Wyatt and Aaron Brown at Temple. Mike McCall and Jordair Jett on his own team (could split votes taking some away from him; doubt voters would go for two guards on same team). Charlon Kloof at St. Bonaventure. Chaz Williams,, Freddie Riley and, depending on how he's listed, Raphiael Putney at Umass. Duren, Mills and Galloway at La Salle. Dillard at Dayton. Jones and Galloway at St. Joe's. Anthony and Brothers at Richmond. Kromah at GeeDub. Henry at Charlotte. Barron at Rhode Island. The competition will be steep.

Doable, but if he does win such honors, the year will be fantastic. I don't care if we get no individual honors -- Big Dance or nothing.

I don't think the voting is by position (I could be wrong). If the voting isn't by position, then it's possible for the first team to comprise five point guards, if those are the five players voters deem the conference's best.

Who are the guards he'l be going up against? The A10 appears stacked. I don't even know who's at Butler or VCU. But there's Khalif Wyatt and Aaron Brown at Temple. Mike McCall and Jordair Jett on his own team (could split votes taking some away from him; doubt voters would go for two guards on same team). Charlon Kloof at St. Bonaventure. Chaz Williams,, Freddie Riley and, depening on how he's listed, Raphiael Putney at Umass. Duren, Mills and Galloway at La Salle. Dillard at Dayton. Jones and Galloway at St. Joe's. Anthony and Brothers at Richmond. Kromah at GeeDub. Henry at Charlotte. Barron at Rhode Island. The competition will be steep.

Putney is versatile but I do not think anyone would call him a guard. He calls himself 6'10" despite being a few inches smaller--that is not a guard mentality.

As Conklin proved last season, to make 1st team A-10, sometimes you just need to be the best player on a very good team. However, for Kwamain, I am definitely expecting him to have an even better season than Conklin had last year. Remember, Mitchell has already received 2nd and 3rd team honors, as well as All-Freshman, from the A-10. Also, as ABF pointed out in a previous post, they don't necessarily pick the all-conference teams exclusively by position. The 3rd team actually had 4 guards this past season. In 2008-09, the first team had 4 guards. Generally, it is just the 5 best players voted on, and then down the line for the other teams.

Bascially, the Bills are expected to be one of the best teams (if not THE best) in the A-10 and return to the NCAA tournament. Kwamain is both the team leader and currently best player on the team. He now has had a full season back. Based on his talent and complete knowledge of Majerus's system, he should definitely make the 1st team A-10, be the likely A-10 Player of the Year and and find himself somehwere on the All-American list. I truly think he will be that good in 2012-13.

As Conklin proved last season, to make 1st team A-10, sometimes you just need to be the best player on a very good team. However, for Kwamain, I am definitely expecting him to have an even better season than Conklin had last year. Remember, Mitchell has already received 2nd and 3rd team honors, as well as All-Freshman, from the A-10. Also, as ABF pointed out in a previous post, they don't necessarily pick the all-conference teams exclusively by position. The 3rd team actually had 4 guards this past season. In 2008-09, the first team had 4 guards. Generally, it is just the 5 best players voted on, and then down the line for the other teams.

Bascially, the Bills are expected to be one of the best teams (if not THE best) in the A-10 and return to the NCAA tournament. Kwamain is both the team leader and currently best player on the team. He now has had a full season back. Based on his talent and complete knowledge of Majerus's system, he should definitely make the 1st team A-10, be the likely A-10 Player of the Year and and find himself somehwere on the All-American list. I truly think he will be that good in 2012-13.

-i agree jbizz and i agree with taj that individual honors don't mean much but rarely do you see a player get individual awards from a bad team so i think the good team leads to individual awards