SMU Job

JMM28

Quite the staff they're assembling.

Larry Brown as HC. Tim Jankovich as AHC/coach in waiting. Add in Jerrance Howard and Rodd Strickland as assistants.

Good for them. I'd like to see SLU buck up and name a coach in waiting in a year or two.

Apparently, there is quite the angst in Dallas over this: http://espn.go.com/dallas/story/_/id/7826265/smu-mustangs-set-hire-larry-brown-botching-coaching-search

Lots of bad/questionable things being raised: why didn't they have a coaching sucession lined up when everyone knew this would be Doherty's last year barring a miracle? How does one recruit to a moribund program like SMU's? A coach and a coach in waiting -- how does that look given Brown';s perchant for bolting? Recruits' fathers are likely to know about Brown, no the recruits themselves. I had forgotten Brown's involvemen tin the "it's just practice" controvery with Iverson. Heck, recuits probably don't know who Iverson is either.

This will be interesting to watch.

Quite the staff they're assembling.

Larry Brown as HC. Tim Jankovich as AHC/coach in waiting. Add in Jerrance Howard and Rodd Strickland as assistants.

Good for them. I'd like to see SLU buck up and name a coach in waiting in a year or two.

-do we have the person you want named the successor on the staff?

-i just want to keep Rick for as long as it makes sense

-do we have the person you want named the successor on the staff?

-i just want to keep Rick for as long as it makes sense

I do like Harriman a lot. I don't think he is ready to be a head coach in 2 years, but definitely in 4. So I guess it depends on what the big man wants to do.

A lot depends on how the program fares for the next few years. If we are on a Butler/X type run of 3-4 straight NCAAs, it makes a lot of sense to promote from within and Harriman seems the likely choice at this juncture.

ESPN Dallas' crack squad of writers is an embarrassment. I've worked alongside them at the Byron Nelson and other events and they all act like they're God's gift.

"Some dude named Tim Jankovich..."

Yes, that's Jean-Jaques Taylor's calling card. The former DMN scribe-turned ESPN Dallas talking head is thumbing his nose at a guy that has helped restore a good Illinois State program (that took Creighton to OT in the MVC Tournament) and will be an excellent heir to Larry Brown. I used to think that St. Louis had the worst sports personalities in the country - then I moved to Dallas - and discovered Randy Galloway and the Ben and Skin Show.

SMU has a Napoleonic complex - they're a little fish in Dallas' super-sized pond. TCU is a whale in pint-sized (comparatively speaking) Fort Worth. TCU football has tasted the Rose Bowl. TCU baseball has tasted Omaha. SMU is still be resuscitated post- death penalty.

Southern Methodist is trying desperately to become something they're not - a major player in a BCS conference. They will be kicked to the curb more than our trash.

So Weird Tim Jankovich is leaving the HC position at Illinois State to be the HC-in-waiting at SMU? Kind of odd, but I guess that's what Painter did at Purdue. Still, SMU is not Purdue.

One of the articles I read mentioned that his pay will double. SMU has $$$ to blow

ESPN Dallas' crack squad of writers is an embarrassment. I've worked alongside them at the Byron Nelson and other events and they all act like they're God's gift.

"Some dude named Tim Jankovich..."

Yes, that's Jean-Jaques Taylor's calling card. The former DMN scribe-turned ESPN Dallas talking head is thumbing his nose at a guy that has helped restore a good Illinois State program (that took Creighton to OT in the MVC Tournament) and will be an excellent heir to Larry Brown. I used to think that St. Louis had the worst sports personalities in the country - then I moved to Dallas - and discovered Randy Galloway and the Ben and Skin Show.

SMU has a Napoleonic complex - they're a little fish in Dallas' super-sized pond. TCU is a whale in pint-sized (comparatively speaking) Fort Worth. TCU football has tasted the Rose Bowl. TCU baseball has tasted Omaha. SMU is still be resuscitated post- death penalty.

Southern Methodist is trying desperately to become something they're not - a major player in a BCS conference. They will be kicked to the curb more than our trash.

Ill St. means nothing to people in Dallas so what he took Creighton to OT that means dick. Ben and Skin and Randy Galloway are hilarious. If you don't like the Rangers or Cowboys I can see how you wouldn't like them. However, they are on ESPN Dallas so that is their audience. I like them and listen to both shows.

Ill St. means nothing to people in Dallas so what he took Creighton to OT that means dick. Ben and Skin and Randy Galloway are hilarious. If you don't like the Rangers or Cowboys I can see how you wouldn't like them. However, they are on ESPN Dallas so that is their audience. I like them and listen to both shows.

A-Bomb, not going to argue with you...just my opinion here. I've seen people cross the border at McAllen with a better grasp of the English language than Randy Galloway. He's got a hardon for the Pony Express Days and won't let it go. Again, just one man's opinion.