MSU by 5

The Wiz

No surprise here. As I pointed out in some other threads after seeing MSU (you gotta see the kids play) they are beatable, The RM factor was worth 8 in the first game...that would be enough in this game.

The Bills are now 14th ranked...moving ahead of Memphis. At the 13th spot is Marq yet another West pod seed.

This is not an easy road but a doable road. We took the first step Fri and on Sun we will take a bigger step. Win or lose it will be great for the Bills to play one of the top teams in the country. If we protect the ball, mix it up with them in the paint and make our 2 footers we could be headed to Phoenix.

Go Bills

if we shoot pretty well were fine. michigan state's offense is very streaky. maybe the post bipolar offense in the nation. with our good d we should stay in this game throughout.

This was Tom Izzo's year to win his 2nd national championship until Brenden Dawson blew out his knee. Now we no longer have that freak athletic advantage we were counting on to put us over the top.

St. Louis matches up pretty well with the Spartans. Would you agree that your team's style of play is similar to Wisconsin? They take care of the ball and rarely foul.

The Tradition 63

St. Louis 61

This was Tom Izzo's year to win his 2nd national championship until Brenden Dawson blew out his knee. Now we no longer have that freak athletic advantage we were counting on to put us over the top.

St. Louis matches up pretty well with the Spartans. Would you agree that your team's style of play is similar to Wisconsin? They take care of the ball and rarely foul.

The Tradition 63

St. Louis 61

Yes, but I have a felling that big Rick is going to push up the tempo Sunday and try to catch you guys off guard.

The Tradition 63

St. Louis 61

Yes, I would say using the B10 for comparison,,,,we are most like Wisc......Using D, tempo and taking care of the ball. I believe Wisc gave you a rough time at the Kohl Center where they forced you into OT before you beat them 63-60. I also have Wisc fairly close to us in my rankings. The Bills at 14...Wisc at 6...MSU at 3...so fairly tight. Should be a good game.

Yes, I would say using the B10 for comparison,,,,we are most like Wisc......Using D, tempo and taking care of the ball. I believe Wisc gave you a rough time at the Kohl Center where they forced you into OT before you beat them 63-60. I also have Wisc fairly close to us in my rankings. The Bills at 14...Wisc at 6...MSU at 3...so fairly tight. Should be a good game.

Bo Ryan has owned Izzo. Their style has been a thorn in our side for years, although much of their success can be attributed to a high level of talent.

I think Majarus wants to slow it down and limit possessions in the hopes that MSU goes on one of their patented 5-minutes scoring droughts. If you try to run with the Spartans, you'll allow MSU to get out of their mediocre halfcourt offense and get easy baskets.

Michigan State grad here.

I agree that your best chance is to slow down the game; fewer than 60 possessions and you'll have a shot. If you try to push the tempo we win by double digits.

Disagree that MSU half court sets are mediocre. This is actually one of Tom Izzo's more efficient teams. An ironic benefit of Dawson's ACL injury is that we've been forced to start an extra shooter. We have four or five guys on this team that can legitimately stroke it. Our 3 pt field goal percentage (69th nationally) is misleading; we started the season horribly and have been on the rise since.

Our shooters are made more dangerous by our post presence. Before Dawson went down, our bigs would be looking to score or waiting for Dawson to flash into the lane. Now we are playing inside-out ball between the post and wing. It's been pretty effective. (The loss of Dawson will hurt us in matchups against teams with big, quick, and athletic wings, which doesn't describe you guys, I believe).

Our centers are a handful. Payne can jump out the gym, block shots, and his confidence in his j has been growing. Nix is a bruiser, passes extremely well (perhaps overpassing at times), and his footwork in the post is surprisingly refined. With Henson hurt, I'm not sure there are bigs left in the tournament who are any better. Kansas and Kentucky... maybe.

Appling at the point is a converted shooting guard. He's a slasher and a strong on-the-ball defender. He's quick as anybody playing at any level off the break. He shot pretty well last year - his freshman season - at the two. But his shot has been a bit broken this year. Some Big 10 teams started to sag when defending him later in the season; it's an issue for us. Trice, his backup, is a pass-first guy and is deadly from three.

Brandon Wood starts at the two and has scored less but defended better than expected. He makes solid decisions, and once every third or fourth game he'll explode offensively.

Austin Thornton starts at the three since Dawson went down. He's a glue guy. He's been in the program 5 years, is our best FT shooter, and has been lights-out from the field over the second half of the season. Michigan State fans used to groan every time he touched the ball. Now we expect him to sink a three or come off a curl for a midrange catch-and-shoot.

Draymond Green starts at the four. If you don't know about Draymond already, shame on you.

I'm looking forward to this game. Most of us think this will be a B1G style grinder. We like our chances on the grind AND at the break. I'd personally take MSU at -6 (latest line I've seen).

Good luck.

Bo Ryan has owned Izzo. Their style has been a thorn in our side for years, although much of their success can be attributed to a high level of talent.

I think Majarus wants to slow it down and limit possessions in the hopes that MSU goes on one of their patented 5-minutes scoring droughts. If you try to run with the Spartans, you'll allow MSU to get out of their mediocre halfcourt offense and get easy baskets.

If you watched the Memphis game, you will see that the Billikens only run when they get a turnover and find themselves with numbers. It's opportunistic but not part of our stock in trade. Your bulldozers inside are the weapon we need to concern ourselves with.

Michigan State grad here.

I agree that your best chance is to slow down the game; fewer than 60 possessions and you'll have a shot. If you try to push the tempo we win by double digits.

We'll it is an impossible hypothetical (i.e., SLU game planning to run on MSU) but I think you will find that we have plenty of speed at guard. It's not how we play but the impression that SLU doesn't have the athletes to run is misplaced. I think the game comes down to scoring in the paint. How will SLU defend in the post against MSU? We need to force you to live and die on jump shots to win. If MSU is able to enforce its will in the post then the game is pretty much lost. Our bigs have defended the post well all year but I don't think we have faced the meat MSU brings to the table. It should be a war in the paint tomorrow.

SpartyOn is a Michigan Wolverine troll. Just thought I would let you all know so you don't pay attention to his drivel. MSU is 5-2 against Bo Ryan and Wisconsin in the last 3 seasons. MSU executes well in half-court sets and rarely has a problem with scoring droughts.

SpartyOn is a Michigan Wolverine troll. Just thought I would let you all know so you don't pay attention to his drivel. MSU is 5-2 against Bo Ryan and Wisconsin in the last 3 seasons. MSU executes well in half-court sets and rarely has a problem with scoring droughts.

Sounds like we shouldn't even show up tomorrow. As everyone in the nation knows, we are just a bunch of nonathletic white boys who cant jump with a crazy overrated old coach who likes to poop in towels and play a lot of zone def. How could we ever beat the mighty Izzo and his team of athletes. I hope you guys show some mercy on us tomorrow and only beat us by 30 or so... :rolleyes:

We'll it is an impossible hypothetical (i.e., SLU game planning to run on MSU) but I think you will find that we have plenty of speed at guard. It's not how we play but the impression that SLU doesn't have the athletes to run is misplaced.

I'm not sure what sort of beating you took on the message boards from Memphis fans this past week, though I can guess. Those dudes will never understand that recruiting a superior track and field team and running iso offense won't get it done against team basketball.

This will be a different game.

Sounds like we shouldn't even show up tomorrow. As everyone in the nation knows, we are just a bunch of nonathletic white boys who cant jump with a crazy overrated old coach who likes to poop in towels and play a lot of zone def. How could we ever beat the mighty Izzo and his team of athletes. I hope you guys show some mercy on us tomorrow and only beat us by 30 or so... :rolleyes:

Keep a surplus of towels just in case...

I'm not sure what sort of beating you took on the message boards from Memphis fans this past week, though I can guess. Those dudes will never understand that recruiting a superior track and field team and running iso offense won't get it done against team basketball.

The Memphis fans were totally ignorant as to what they were facing in SLU. I was hoping to receive the same treatment from the MSU fans as well but so far you guys have been very reasonable. I expect a half-court battle. Can't wait for the game.

We don't run on teams... but, we do it sporadically because we have the guard speed to do so. I don't know very much about MSU BB, but I know LV is on our side with that -6 line... two words buddy: sucker bet. May the luck of the irish shmile on ya!

We don't run on teams... but, we do it sporadically because we have the guard speed to do so. I don't know very much about MSU BB, but I know LV is on our side with that -6 line... two words buddy: sucker bet. May the luck of the irish shmile on ya!

Bottom line is we feel we know what we are facing in you guys (it's what Vandy is facing on TNT right now). And we've had some success lately against that style.

But it's March. They call it madness for a reason. And that's why they play the games.

Bottom line is we feel we know what we are facing in you guys (it's what Vandy is facing on TNT right now). And we've had some success lately against that style.

But it's March. They call it madness for a reason. And that's why they play the games.

Good post. You guys are a tough team and I know you've seen similar teams to us this year. You guys are going to win down low. It isn't really a matter of stopping Green and Nix, but more containing them. We haven't had a good outside shooting game in a while so I think we may be due but you could also say that we're in a funk too. If we hit our shots from the outside, its going to be a very close game. I think both teams are going to be good defensively so SLU will need to not give you guys second chances because every possession is going to be important. Both teams have great coaches so both teams should be equally prepared.