How to Play and Beat Memphis

slcute

One big misconception about Memphis may be the "slow down" thing. Josh has tried to mold this team into a much more methodical and "pound the ball" type style all year in the half court.

It really seemed to click the last 7-8 games. The patience we have shown rotating the ball and getting in to the post has been as good as any Memphis team since the Dana Kirk/Keith Lee days in the early 80's.

It seems like 95% of the tigers shots the last 8 games have been IN THE PAINT at point blank range. Either from the post or penetration. So that's what I will be looking for. When the billikens try to dictate the slower pace, do we continue to pound it inside like we have or get impatient and start jacking up too many 3's.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One big misconception about Memphis may be the "slow down" thing. Josh has tried to mold this team into a much more methodical and "pound the ball" type style all year in the half court.

It really seemed to click the last 7-8 games. The patience we have shown rotating the ball and getting in to the post has been as good as any Memphis team since the Dana Kirk/Keith Lee days in the early 80's.

It seems like 95% of the tigers shots the last 8 games have been IN THE PAINT at point blank range. Either from the post or penetration. So that's what I will be looking for. When the billikens try to dictate the slower pace, do we continue to pound it inside like we have or get impatient and start jacking up too many 3's.

Then that bodes well for your team against us, if that is in fact how Memphis approaches the game. It's going to be a half-court game. The press is not going to bother us. Our guards are quick and skilled. We play 3 natural point guards in our rotation (and start two of them). Many teams that like to play up tempo get frustrated when they get forced into a half-court game by the Billikens. We are a good rebounding team but not a great rebounding team. A patient team with athletic bigs could be trouble. Rob Loe only averages 16 minutes and when he is out we get smaller. Remekun is a solid defender and rebounder off the bench but Rick prefers to go with Ellis and Conklin when Loe is out ... and those two (as a tandem) may have trouble rebound against Memphis. It will be interesting. What SLU team shows up? Is Conklin effective in the offensive paint? Will our bigs knocking down 3's? I really don't know how it will play out other than to say I'm confident we'll play solid defense and not turn the ball over against the press.

I think everyone in Memphis is aware by now that you have played mostly man this year.

Guarantee that Rick will be looking to switch up defenses in this game. No one wants to run man on us the whole game. UK is the only team out there that would.

Guaranty you SLU plays man the entire game. Our lack of athleticism has been greatly exaggerated. You have the better athletes no doubt. My only caveat on this is Dwayne Evans, by far our best rebounder. He needs to play 30 minutes in this game. If he gets in foul trouble early we really don't have anyone on the bench who brings his size and athleticism to the SF position. We usually go 3 guard when Dwayne is out.

Guaranty you SLU plays man the entire game. Our lack of athleticism has been greatly exaggerated. You have the better athletes no doubt. My only caveat on this is Dwayne Evans, by far our best rebounder. He needs to play 30 minutes in this game. If he gets in foul trouble early we really don't have anyone on the bench who brings his size and athleticism to the SF position. We usually go 3 guard when Dwayne is out.

Man, I hope your right

Man, I hope your right

Are you familiar with the A10 conference? Have you seen Temple play? This is Rick's 5th year at SLU playing in the A10. In those 5 years, I am aware of SLU going zone only once for about 5 minutes in one game because former asst. Porter Moser pestered Rick to show zone just that one time. I think that was fall semester of 2010.

I hope the Memphis players are as confident as you and the posters on your message board in the fact that there is no way in hell the slow, plodding SLU players can manage to keep up with the Memphis thoroughbreds in man. It's actually laughable to me given the quality of the schedule we have played and our very good results against quality opponents. You may well win but the game will be a battle. Buckle up.

I read it somewhere else, but the point was excellent. The team that Memphis St. resembles the most on our schedule is UW.

I like to expand on that a bit. Memphis is the better all around team. That said UW has better athletes and more future NBA talent. We manned UW the whole game. It didn't hurt us. We thumped them.

That said, this game will be much closer. It is basically a toss up. We could lose, but it won't be due to the fact we played man.

I read it somewhere else, but the point was excellent. The team that Memphis St. resembles the most on our schedule is UW.

I like to expand on that a bit. Memphis is the better all around team. That said UW has better athletes and more future NBA talent. We manned UW the whole game. It didn't hurt us. We thumped them.

That said, this game will be much closer. It is basically a toss up. We could lose, but it won't be due to the fact we played man.

I agree with your UW comparison Brian but a Memphis poster said Josh would have his team prepare to play patient on the offensive end. Lorenzo did not have his team so prepared and paid the price. If you look at Memphis' stats, they don't appear to be a team that jacks 3's with wild abandon. In fact, we attempt more 3's per game than Memphis ... substantially more.

http://statsheet.com...ouis&t2=memphis

I expect a hard fought game.

I agree with your UW comparison Brian but a Memphis poster said Josh would have his team prepare to play patient on the offensive end. Lorenzo did not have his team so prepared and paid the price. If you look at Memphis' stats, they don't appear to be a team that jacks 3's with wild abandon. In fact, we attempt more 3's than per game than Memphis ... substantially more.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/teams/compare?t1-season=2011-2012&t1=saint-louis&t2=memphis

I expect a hard fought game.

It is going to be be a brutal war.

While Memphis doesn't like to just jack up 3s, they thrive on points off turnovers. Those will be hard to come by for them Friday. I think they will be patient to a point on offense, but if we limit the easy points off turnovers we have a chance to frustrate them. That is one thing they are not used to facing.

Thee guys from Memphis believe this game is going to come down to destroying our man defense. What it will come down to is their defense being able fluster our guards when we run the half court set.

If they do that they win. If they don't we should win.

That's cool. I'm not one of those message board dudes that takes this stuff real seriously like you apparently do. And I agree Springfield won't be

confused for Malibu anytime soon. I'm from St. Louis. I just went to school there. I could care ess about the city. Where you from pilgrim?

Right...that's why a couple years ago you were sending psychotic private messages to another poster. You don't take it seriously...haha right.....

Who? What?

"......streetfighting, boxing...lifting"

Haha mine is in a signature as a joke...except the boxing and lifting. Your pms should have been directed to the psych ward...and the funny part is you keep coming back to get your ass kicked around.

Haha mine is in a signature as a joke...except the boxing and lifting. Your pms should have been directed to the psych ward...and the funny part is you keep coming back to get your ass kicked around.

Who's PM's? You sent PM's to someone? Why? Did you tell the moderators? Always go to a teenage adult if you can't handle something and if someone is being a big meanie:(

Who's PM's? You sent PM's to someone? Why? Did you tell the moderators? Always go to a teenage adult if you can't handle something and if someone is being a big meanie:(

Your handle is "MoStBear...". You're on a SLU message board. It pains everyone to read your posts. Your handle should be "THAT GUY".

Posted Image