This is not a test but a technical problem.

Is this happening on Game Days / Near Game Day Threads.

For Game Day Threads, I often put the forum in performance mode to let it run faster. In doing this, the forum software does not keep track of what posts you have read across computers. It will within one computer.

I, however, don't know if this addresses your specific problem (so I have moved your thread from the Test Forum to the main forum to see if others have similar problems).

Often times, when reading the forums, when I return to the thread list, forums with unread posts will lose their status and it will appear that no threads have new posts. Is this a known issue?

also I mark post as read and come back later to find the show as new posting

Steve i think it is the opposite. I have noticed that if i read a thread on one computer (office) it wont show on home or phone that it was read yet.

It occurs any time. For instance, this afternoon I come to the board and there is a long list of topics that show as having new posts. They are shown in bold. So I start from the bottom and after reading each one, I return to the topic/thread list page and slowly move up. But sometimes I'll return to the list screen only to find none of the topics in bold, as though I had opened all of the threads with new posts at once. When I double check, sure enough there are threads with posts that are new. They just no longer show as such.

It's just a feature that makes it easier to keep up.

It occurs any time. For instance, this afternoon I come to the board and there is a long list of topics that show as having new posts. They are shown in bold. So I start from the bottom and after reading each one, I return to the topic/thread list page and slowly move up. But sometimes I'll return to the list screen only to find none of the topics in bold, as though I had opened all of the threads with new posts at once. When I double check, sure enough there are threads with posts that are new. They just no longer show as such.

It's just a feature that makes it easier to keep up.

Are you logged in while reading them?

Steve i think it is the opposite. I have noticed that if i read a thread on one computer (office) it wont show on home or phone that it was read yet.

That is true for me to. However, I think it may have to do with cookies that are downloaded on that particular machine. If you read them on a home computer, that computer tracks what you have read. However other devices that you use don't have that information, so they will show everything as unread since the last time you used that other device to check the board. I think that what you have read is tracked by each device not by the server where the board resides.

I temporarily move to Nashville this weekend, but will look into this shortly. Sorry for the problem guys.

Also, how long as this been a problem? Always with the new board? Or just the past few weeks?

I temporarily move to Nashville this weekend, but will look into this shortly. Sorry for the problem guys. Also, how long as this been a problem? Always with the new board? Or just the past few weeks?

always for me. as to the cookies explanation above, i buy that, however i will say before steve switched boards it didnt happen.

I temporarily move to Nashville this weekend, but will look into this shortly. Sorry for the problem guys. Also, how long as this been a problem? Always with the new board? Or just the past few weeks?

and btw steve, you gotta tell us.....how does princeton and nashville merge? what's up with that? say hello to charlie daniels and carrie underwood for us.

and btw steve, you gotta tell us.....how does princeton and nashville merge? what's up with that? say hello to charlie daniels and carrie underwood for us.

Year One - My adviser decided to leave Princeton for Vanderbilt

Year Two - Got new adviser

Year Three: New adviser....decided to leave Princeton for Vanderbilt

Year Four: Steve goes spends time at Vanderbilt (I still have two other advisers at Princeton)

My car however seems to want to keep my in Princeton. (In shop now)

That is true for me to. However, I think it may have to do with cookies that are downloaded on that particular machine. If you read them on a home computer, that computer tracks what you have read. However other devices that you use don't have that information, so they will show everything as unread since the last time you used that other device to check the board. I think that what you have read is tracked by each device not by the server where the board resides.

The forum software itself should keep track of what posts you have read, as long as your are logged in. It does this for me between my work and personal computers.

Roy, when you say "switched" boards, which switch? (e.g. approx how long ago)

The forum software itself should keep track of what posts you have read, as long as your are logged in. It does this for me between my work and personal computers. Roy, when you say "switched" boards, which switch? (e.g. approx how long ago)

just a few months ago i started noticing. maybe december, november.

I've noticed it since I started paying attention, say about 3 months. It's no big deal really, but it does happen, and it is somewhat annoying as it causes me to lose my place. But I can just start from the top when it does, and read down until I find the first thread that has a last post I recognize. It just strikes me as odd as it does it right in the middle of a "board reading session."

• 3 weeks later...

+1

hasnt changed a bit. today i happened to pull up the board at home, at my office and on my phone. none of the three matched up in what had or hadnt been read.

The board was in performance mode from yesterday morning until this morning, which may explain some of it (it does not track what posts you read in performance mode outside of your individual computer).

I have put a support request into the company that makes the forum. Sorry this has taken me so long to address (the two months of my life have been crazy).