New Mex by 2 over the Bills

The Wiz

DIEHARD lobo fan here, just want to let you know that i am SO excited to have your team and Coach Majerus in the Pit. I am sorry if you think some our fans are not classy, but every fan base has those fans, and i am sorry for that. Most lobo fans are the nicest you will ever meet and we will welcome you all. I have been following you team all year and am excited you all are having a great year, you have an hall of fame Ncaa coach and i always knew Coach Majerus would get a team going again. So you guys coming into the Pit and i think it's going to be a competitive game but in All honestly it's really hard to win down here, the Pit is one of the top venues for college basketball. So i was wondering is there any of you all coming down to Albuquerque for the game?? Would like to invite some of you to our gathering at a local bar. Also i see there was some negative comments about the state of New Mexico in this thread, if you have never been down here Please don't put it down. New Mexico has MANY famous people that either are from here or live here and alot of transplants that love this Great state. I have been many places in this great country and i can state right now that i would rather live in New Mexico then alot of other places in the country. Give it a chance. So hope to meet up with some of you.

I've been to Albuquerque once to visit a girl many years ago. Enjoyed my stay! :) As you say, every team has its fans who say things we cringe at. This will be the toughest game of the season for the Billikens and we've already played several quality opponents. This team went to Duke last season so the intensity of the crowd shouldn't be a complete surprise. Nothing phases Majerus so we know he will remain calm come what may. The altitude may be an issue though. We have a deep, quality bench so perhaps that will help us deal with the altitude. I think most of us are concerned about getting behind early and then the team getting out of its disciplined offense. I like our chances if the Lobos don't get up double digits early. If they do ... not good. We only played from behind with a substantial deficit once all season and weren't able to come back against Loyola in that one.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DIEHARD lobo fan here, just want to let you know that i am SO excited to have your team and Coach Majerus in the Pit. I am sorry if you think some our fans are not classy, but every fan base has those fans, and i am sorry for that. Most lobo fans are the nicest you will ever meet and we will welcome you all. I have been following you team all year and am excited you all are having a great year, you have an hall of fame Ncaa coach and i always knew Coach Majerus would get a team going again. So you guys coming into the Pit and i think it's going to be a competitive game but in All honestly it's really hard to win down here, the Pit is one of the top venues for college basketball. So i was wondering is there any of you all coming down to Albuquerque for the game?? Would like to invite some of you to our gathering at a local bar. Also i see there was some negative comments about the state of New Mexico in this thread, if you have never been down here Please don't put it down. New Mexico has MANY famous people that either are from here or live here and alot of transplants that love this Great state. I have been many places in this great country and i can state right now that i would rather live in New Mexico then alot of other places in the country. Give it a chance. So hope to meet up with some of you.

Ive only been to Taos (Beautiful skiing...not kidding, it shocked the heck outta me), but flew into Albuquerque to get there... Very friendly place. :)

Stoked for the game... we got this!

I've never been to New Mexico, don't need to go there, I've seen the movie "Lawrence of Arabia". Billikens by 8.

"God bless"? Metz is that you?

In all seriousness this board has an entire list of "in jokes" and "in posters". I can see where you thought Davola was being a dick. It was simply tongue in cheek. Welcome to the board. With that said Bills win by 10.

"God bless"? Metz is that you?

In all seriousness this board has an entire list of "in jokes" and "in posters". I can see where you thought Davola was being a dick. It was simply tongue in cheek. Welcome to the board. With that said Bills win by 10.

Nah i understand message boards, go on many of them, but to call my state a cesspool is just disrespectful and to say you guys are going to win by 10 or 12, i think that has to be one of the MOST funniest things i have heard all season long. Sorry it is going to be a close game and i really like the billikens, but the Pit in all honestly it is a very very tough place to play, i have been to so many college basketball venues around the country, but The Pit is just so loud and it's hard to play against. I welcome you all, so no one has said if they are coming down here for the game. Go Lobos!!

IDK that I like you posting "go lobos" here..... thems fightin words on the Billiboard... (to be sure, ill end with a winkle ;) )

NYE plans in the lou... so no go on my part.

I wont say 10 or 12, but I definitely think we've got it.

I'd say good luck cuz you'll need it, but I wouldn't mean it... :)

Nah i understand message boards, go on many of them, but to call my state a cesspool is just disrespectful and to say you guys are going to win by 10 or 12, i think that has to be one of the MOST funniest things i have heard all season long. Sorry it is going to be a close game and i really like the billikens, but the Pit in all honestly it is a very very tough place to play, i have been to so many college basketball venues around the country, but The Pit is just so loud and it's hard to play against. I welcome you all, so no one has said if they are coming down here for the game. Go Lobos!!

I get that you love your team but the billikens carve up defenses with surgical precision and defend like I've never seen before. Our offensive efficiency will render your rebounding a non-factor.

Another Lobo Fan here!

Quite a few buddies of mine are looking forward to seeing Rick back in The Pit. He had some Utah squads that came in here that we looooved to hate. Take away the team rivalry and you're left with a really good and remarkable coach in Majerus.

I think you folks have something going for you in that he's experienced in what The Pit is all about. It's loud, it's roudy and it should be a throwback having Majerus in The Pit. I expect it to get rather noisy.

Both teams look matched evenly. We'd be lying if we didn't say that SLU didn't scare us. Most of us have been following this team since we found out you're on the schedule. Personally, I watched your take down of Washington several weeks ago.

UNM is hitting on all cylinders right now. We have a consistent triple threat on the perimeter with Tony Snell, Philip McDonald and Kendall Williams. Our point is ran by Australian freshman Hugh Greenwood and is backed up off the bench by Jamal Fenton. Our inside 4/5 spots are manned by Drew Gordon, AJ Hardeman and Chad Adams. If you saw the game against NMSU, that was a taste of our capabilities. I'd follow that dish up with our dismantling of Missouri State and solid play against OSU.

Lobo fans have been eager for a good game in The Pit and this looks like it should be a good one. Majerus is well familiar with the term, "Pit Game," and this will be one. Expect the decibels to reach 110+.

Keys for SLU is to shutdown the Lobo three. It's come on as of late, but a guy like Tony Snell can go off for 5/6 in about 7 minutes if you let him. Montana State was put six feet under before the 12 minute mark, mostly due to Snell's icy dagger.

Drew Gordon has been looking to unload. He can be rocky at times, but I like the size match-up of SLU and UNM; we should see some good battles.

Lobos need this game to right the ship with their loss to Santa Clara in the 76. That's turned out to be a worse loss than we expected it would be. We already made up for NMSU and that honestly caught a lot of us traveling Lobo fans off guard; 35+ on the ropes in the 2nd, before we got soft and let up.

If any SLU fans are in town, feel free to contact any of us at The Lobo Lair. We're good guys, always love having people from other schools spend time in our bars talking hoops. We love the game!

See you Saturday!

I don't think the noise will be a factor when SLU gets off to a big lead early and just takes the crowd out and they head out early to El Pinto for some New Mexican.

Majerus will walk out of the tunnel with a hatch green chile burrito in his right hand and the playbook in his left, the Billikens will then serve up some lobo for desert.

I don't think the noise will be a factor when SLU gets off to a big lead early and just takes the crowd out and they head out early to El Pinto for some New Mexican.

Majerus will walk out of the tunnel with a hatch green chile burrito in his right hand and the playbook in his left, the Billikens will then serve up some lobo for desert.

The thing about Majerus is that I used to hate on him HARD when he was coaching Utah. It wasn't really Majerus that was my focus of hate, but his pretty boy Keith Van Horn who seemed to drill us any chance he got. It wasn't until later on and a bit more age that I began to appreciate who Majerus was as a coach. Can't help but respect what he had done.

That being said, Moose isn't reffing any more and Rick's lost weight; so I don't think controversial calls or burritos are in his future. Nevertheless, it's going to be fun. I can guarantee you that Alford is looking to get after this game. There's nothing more that guy like than challenging his coaching metal with other individuals who've earned a name.

I've heard if you pear Billiken with a sweet white, you're in for a treat. Can anyone confirm the wine selection for Saturday?

Another Lobo Fan here!

Quite a few buddies of mine are looking forward to seeing Rick back in The Pit. He had some Utah squads that came in here that we looooved to hate. Take away the team rivalry and you're left with a really good and remarkable coach in Majerus.

I think you folks have something going for you in that he's experienced in what The Pit is all about. It's loud, it's roudy and it should be a throwback having Majerus in The Pit. I expect it to get rather noisy.

Both teams look matched evenly. We'd be lying if we didn't say that SLU didn't scare us. Most of us have been following this team since we found out you're on the schedule. Personally, I watched your take down of Washington several weeks ago.

UNM is hitting on all cylinders right now. We have a consistent triple threat on the perimeter with Tony Snell, Philip McDonald and Kendall Williams. Our point is ran by Australian freshman Hugh Greenwood and is backed up off the bench by Jamal Fenton. Our inside 4/5 spots are manned by Drew Gordon, AJ Hardeman and Chad Adams. If you saw the game against NMSU, that was a taste of our capabilities. I'd follow that dish up with our dismantling of Missouri State and solid play against OSU.

Lobo fans have been eager for a good game in The Pit and this looks like it should be a good one. Majerus is well familiar with the term, "Pit Game," and this will be one. Expect the decibels to reach 110+.

Keys for SLU is to shutdown the Lobo three. It's come on as of late, but a guy like Tony Snell can go off for 5/6 in about 7 minutes if you let him. Montana State was put six feet under before the 12 minute mark, mostly due to Snell's icy dagger.

Drew Gordon has been looking to unload. He can be rocky at times, but I like the size match-up of SLU and UNM; we should see some good battles.

Lobos need this game to right the ship with their loss to Santa Clara in the 76. That's turned out to be a worse loss than we expected it would be. We already made up for NMSU and that honestly caught a lot of us traveling Lobo fans off guard; 35+ on the ropes in the 2nd, before we got soft and let up.

If any SLU fans are in town, feel free to contact any of us at The Lobo Lair. We're good guys, always love having people from other schools spend time in our bars talking hoops. We love the game!

See you Saturday!

Thanks for the analysis. Defending the 3 is something SLU is very good at. Glad to hear you think this is a key to the game. Defending the paint, we are not outstanding. I have not seen NM play this season so I don't know what sort of post players you have. It might seem counter intuitive at first look but game planning to attack SLU with an uptempo / launch 3's offense is a recipe for disaster (as you saw in the Washington game). You have to beat us in the half court. If you are patient and can pound it down low, that will make it difficult for us. We have guys who can defend the paint but we're just not as deep nor talented with bigs as we are at guard. Rob Low is improving as a post defender but isn't there yet. Cory Remekun is a much better post defender but gives you next to nothing on offense. We trade substantial offense for defense when Cory subs for Rob. We often play without Rob or Cory on the court and, in that case, we are small up front. We have a 7' freshman center (Manning) who is not ready yet. Rick steals a few minutes with him occasionally but I think that is about the extent of what he can give us right now. I think a key for SLU will be Dwayne Evans, our SF. He has been up and down this season. We need him to show up in the Pit. He's the best rebounder on the team and capable of scoring in double figures. He made the All A10 freshman team but has disappeared on us a few games this season. You can count on our guards being solid. Rick plays 4 with a 5th getting minutes on occasion. Conklin is another key for us. Can he score in the paint against the Lobos? He's a bruising presence despite his listed height of 6'6". If he does, the floor opens up and our lineup is stacked with shooters. We have multiple bigs who can shoot it. Can't wait to see how this plays out.

welcome to the board! good to hear from an opponent. heard a lot of things about the pit. want to see how our boys stack up to our first tough competition this year!

That being said, Moose isn't reffing any more and Rick's lost weight; so I don't think controversial calls or burritos are in his future. Nevertheless, it's going to be fun. I can guarantee you that Alford is looking to get after this game. There's nothing more that guy like than challenging his coaching metal with other individuals who've earned a

I think this is a good time for us all to reflect on the last time Steve Alford coached against the Billikens. Anthony Drejaj in the corner, buzzer sounds, drains the 3, Bills win 70-69.

That was back when Pierre Pierce was still stealing laptops, raping women, beating them and driving long distances to do so. Back when Steve Alford was trying to cover Pierres crimes under the guise of the fellowship of christian athletes. What a scumbag. Pound him into the ground.

The thing about Majerus is that I used to hate on him HARD when he was coaching Utah. It wasn't really Majerus that was my focus of hate, but his pretty boy Keith Van Horn who seemed to drill us any chance he got. It wasn't until later on and a bit more age that I began to appreciate who Majerus was as a coach. Can't help but respect what he had done.

That being said, Moose isn't reffing any more and Rick's lost weight; so I don't think controversial calls or burritos are in his future. Nevertheless, it's going to be fun. I can guarantee you that Alford is looking to get after this game. There's nothing more that guy like than challenging his coaching metal with other individuals who've earned a name.

I've heard if you pear Billiken with a sweet white, you're in for a treat. Can anyone confirm the wine selection for Saturday?

Pair ? How about lobo jerky with a sharp red from the fine vinyards of Alamogordo ?

I think this is a good time for us all to reflect on the last time Steve Alford coached against the Billikens. Anthony Drejaj in the corner, buzzer sounds, drains the 3, Bills win 70-69.

That was back when Pierre Pierce was still stealing laptops, raping women, beating them and driving long distances to do so. Back when Steve Alford was trying to cover Pierres crimes under the guise of the fellowship of christian athletes. What a scumbag. Pound him into the ground.

It was LEGEND- Wait for it and I hope the Lobos aren't lactose intolerant because the second half of that word is - DARY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKSdPfucDQA

Not to ruin a good story but we played a home and home with Iowa in the years after the Drejaj buzzer beater. Lost them both. The Alford streak ends on Saturday though.

Not to ruin a good story but we played a home and home with Iowa in the years after the Drejaj buzzer beater. Lost them both. The Alford streak ends on Saturday though.

Yeah forgot about that. They don't count though. I like my version better.

FWIW "The Pit" has averaged 15,456 fans the past 45 years. If I'm not mistaken that's about 50% more than a sellout at the Chaifets. It'll be a great experience for the Billikens.

Lmao. I'm glad you guys are here to tell us how hard your arena is to play in. We had no idea. I think our boys will be okay, even playing in one of the shittiest arenas around.

Somebody pull up the pre-game thread from Washington for these fools.

P.S. - I've been to New Mexico once and the place sucks. I'd rather spend a day in the real Mexico, and that's saying a lot.

Pair ? How about lobo jerky with a sharp red from the fine vinyards of Alamogordo ?

Can't spin the Pierce thing any other way; just bad all the way around.

Honestly... Who drinks wine with jerky?

I like the way you guys get after it. See you Saturday!