2012 Schedule

slufan13

Your first statement shows a loser mentality to me, one that this program has been mired in for too long. If presented a choice between playing the best programs and playing Valley teams that won't hurt the RPI, I'll take the big-time programs. If the opportunity is to play both, then by all means I support it as long as it's replacing buy games and

not big games. I'd rather play the Valley teams than anyone coming to our place this December. I like the SIUC series, would like to see the Missouri State one return, and like the fact we're getting one going again with Bradley.

But we're never going to take a step up unless we consistently play a handful of top 25 programs and manage an upset here and there. I hate to keep using Xavier as a comparison, but the shoe fits. They're to a point where they're not only playing one of the toughest non-conference schedules each year, but they're winning most of those games. SLU will never get there if they never try.

"Terribly unexcited" about Washington coming here? Why? A high-level program led by our former head coach is an awesome matchup in my book. You also say that it will "most likely be a 1 time thing and that is it", and yet the first post in this thread suggests otherwise.

I guess it's just a difference in opinion; I'll never be able to force myself to get more excited about "Bradley, Creighton, or Wichita types" than I will about Washington, UCLA, Syracuse, Butler, or Gonzaga.

JMM from Peoria- do we have another Metzinger on this board? Also, I haven't heard the term "jagoff" in years. That had me laughing.

Washington is a one time home and home series. That's what I said when I said "probably a one time thing." no different than the UNC thrashing of a few years ago. It's Scott Suggs homecoming which is ironic because both are very overrated.

The loser mentality is the idea that the Billiken Basketball Program is at a point where it is not worth taking a loss to a far superior (the Duke buy game) because it benefits nothing but the AD bottom line.

I would love to use your Xavier example. Embrace the Xavier example. Xavier never played a buy game. Xavier under Matta and the early Miller years had a nice schedule, but never littered with top 25 types. Their schedules looked a lot like ours do now and last year minus the really low end buy games. A couple solid road games, a couple solid home games, and some buy fillers with the annual UC game in there. Xavier realized what you can't seem to. Getting on tv vs Duke just so the country can see your brain matter splattered all over doesn't do you any good. You call mine a loser mentality, I call yours a false brovado mentality. Let's beat an average PAC## or SEC team before we start in on the Dukes and Syracuses of the world.

When SLU makes a tournament and then makes another, the scheduling will take care of itself.

Just win.

Washington is a one time home and home series. That's what I said when I said "probably a one time thing." no different than the UNC thrashing of a few years ago. It's Scott Suggs homecoming which is ironic because both are very overrated.

The loser mentality is the idea that the Billiken Basketball Program is at a point where it is not worth taking a loss to a far superior (the Duke buy game) because it benefits nothing but the AD bottom line.

I would love to use your Xavier example. Embrace the Xavier example. Xavier never played a buy game. Xavier under Matta and the early Miller years had a nice schedule, but never littered with top 25 types. Their schedules looked a lot like ours do now and last year minus the really low end buy games. A couple solid road games, a couple solid home games, and some buy fillers with the annual UC game in there. Xavier realized what you can't seem to. Getting on tv vs Duke just so the country can see your brain matter splattered all over doesn't do you any good. You call mine a loser mentality, I call yours a false brovado mentality. Let's beat an average PAC## or SEC team before we start in on the Dukes and Syracuses of the world.

When SLU makes a tournament and then makes another, the scheduling will take care of itself.

Just win.

I can understand claiming that Suggs is overrated, as he hasn't done much at Washington, but how is UW 'very overrated?' Under Romar, they have gone to the tournament 6 times in 9 seasons and the Sweet 16 three times. What about Washington makes you consider them overrated? Just curious as that stood out to me in your post.

Just win.

Now that Majerus said the Bradley series is a back-up plan in case Butler and Gonzaga fall through, will you and Metz retract your comments?

I'll stand by my original one, HTB > Metz.

P.S. I am also curious to see what you meant in calling both Suggs and Washington overrated.

Now that Majerus said the Bradley series is a back-up plan in case Butler and Gonzaga fall through, will you and Metz retract your comments?

P.S. I am also curious to see what you meant in calling both Suggs and Washington overrated.

No, this isn't the CBS Evening News with Dan Rather, as much as you want it to be. Go back to your Daily Kos.

No, this isn't the CBS Evening News with Dan Rather, as much as you want it to be. Go back to your Daily Kos.

I don't watch CBS Evening News (I'm not an average-aged SLU fan) and I have never read Daily Kos. Thanks for yet another failed attempt at humor and dragging politics into it. Try again.

No I don't think I said anything in need of retraction. I think playing Butler and Gonzaga are good games to play because they are home and homes with the butler series being multiple years. Gonzaga and Butler are also very beatable for this team next year. I'm guessing that Bradley is on the schedule and only about 1 out of the 4 teams discussed are. We've heard this song and dance many times before with Rick. If you added up all the teams we were going to play noncon since he's been here, we would have played 100 or so games non conference.

My calling both overrated was meaning Scott Suggs and his homecoming game. Although to listen to you nut yourself over Washington, you'd think it was a game versus the 1984 Olympic team.

No I don't think I said anything in need of retraction. I think playing Butler and Gonzaga are good games to play because they are home and homes with the butler series being multiple years. Gonzaga and Butler are also very beatable for this team next year. I'm guessing that Bradley is on the schedule and only about 1 out of the 4 teams discussed are. We've heard this song and dance many times before with Rick. If you added up all the teams we were going to play noncon since he's been here, we would have played 100 or so games non conference.

My calling both overrated was meaning Scott Suggs and his homecoming game. Although to listen to you nut yourself over Washington, you'd think it was a game versus the 1984 Olympic team.

-i agree Rick seems to speak a bit too soon for my taste on some of the scheduling stuff, appreciate the honesty as at least last night he did not say any were a done deal, but might be better not to say until something signed,maybe trying to build some excitement, who knows

"A high-level program led by our former head coach is an awesome matchup in my book." You have a low threshold for what counts as nutting oneself. And it's not only me who has been excited about this game since it was announced, especially given the weakness of the rest of our home schedule.

Wow, the 84 Olympic Team is coming? Is it going to be a home and home? At the Chaifitz, Savvis, or the Dome?