lisch and the eagles

according to frank c this morning, the eagles held tryouts this past weekend. the first two practices no lisch. (doesnt surprise me) on sunday, kevin walks in, dominates the rest of the tryouts. the coaches pick kevin for the team, and then kevin politely declines the appointment and goes home. just wanted to see if he could beat the competition i guess. fine with me. the less the big boys know about him the better.

frank said that his sources say that kevin will visit notre dame and illinois and then pick from the three schools. frank is betting on slu.

Roy,

The Eagles tryouts were more than two weeks ago -- the same weekend as the Missouri Class 4 and 5 final four.

I was there for the Sunday session with the U-17 age group -- Frank was not there as far as I could tell -- and I wouldn't say Kevin Lisch dominated the kids there. He looked good, but to be honest, I expected more out of him.

Arthur Sargent looked really good. He was knocking down shots from all over the floor.

- Nate

B' roy didn't you say one time his dad didn't want him playing AAU ball due to the "street" form of ball they play? I agree let him be a stealth fighter...off the radar screens of all the biggies. Good to see he's competitive enough though to go up against them. Never having seen him play would appreciate it if you guys could compare him to some of today's players nationwide. For example, is he a JJ Reddick type of guard? Also, what are his major strengths and where does he need work to be a real contributor at this level.

i would say he is a gerry mcnamarra that has the physical strength to go inside as well. or you could say he is a chris thomas that plays josh fisher defense. i do not compare him to deiner because deiner is so physically weak compared to the strong lisch. offense results would be the same though.

the thing that surprised and disappointed me about sargent this winter was his non-slashing. he seemed content to sit in the corner and wait for the kick out from jb jones or from a sean mcpeak rebound. arthur jumps with the best of them and should have used that athleticism more than he did. of course with all the weapons that west had this year, it is very possible that coach schmidt wanted him to just sit out in the corner and wait for ducks to come his way.

i think arthur needs to develop that dribble a little bit to be considered big time. everything else about him though is already there.

jujst posting what frank said. regardless, the kid walked away from the big lights and big city show. gotta like that moxie. doesnt need it or want it.

he is about 6'5" and about 190 lbs. think about the build and size of the billiken version of larry hughes.

I agree with you about Sargent sitting in the corner waiting for the ball. That's how I will remember him from the times I saw him this season.

I have never talked to Sargent about the football/basketball question, so I don't know what he wants to do in college.

Lisch is supposed to go to the Nike Camp in Indianapolis this summer, so if he plays well he won't be a secret to anyone. But it will probably be too late at that point for other schools to start pursuing him.

- Nate

nate said, "Lisch is supposed to go to the Nike Camp in Indianapolis this summer, so if he plays well he won't be a secret to anyone. But it will probably be too late at that point for other schools to start pursuing him."

that is what i am hoping for. i hope he gets these trips to champaign and south bend out of the way and vebals to slu asap. all we need is for tubby smith or coach k to come around belittling his billiken thoughts and giving him doubts.

true, but the likes of tubby smith, coach k, bill self, roy williams, etc are not normal human's either. sharks. any of us would have a hard time standing up to the likes let alone a 17 year old kid.

No, I did not write that an offer from Duke would be BS...what I did write was perhaps the kid was intelligent enough to see thru the BS if someone from one of the top schools BRoy mentioned bad mouthed SLU. Now in my book that's a whole lot different...what you skipped the reading comprehension taught at SPUMAC or did you take the correspondence course version???

Do you actually think that some kid could only choose duke/kentucky over slu b/c the schools knocked SLU? At Duke and UK you play for National Titles every year on the nations biggest stage. At slu you play in a much lesser conference and may struggle to make an impact on a national level. Staying close to home can be a major factor in choosing his college, but major national attention may open his eyes to all of the possibilities he has in front of him.

I love how you have to resort to pointless and baseless personal attacks to try and get your point across. It clear that you're not clever enough to make persuasive remarks without trying to insult me. Your education obviously paid off.

yeah, the duke sociology correspondence course that jayson williams got thru in two and half years while playing basketball year round has to be a dandy.

ARe you saying that SLU doesn't have any easy majors or classes? That kind of crap goes on everywhere whether we like it or not. The point was that if an athlete wants to take his education seriously, Duke is not a bad place to do it

the local kids who are going to elite camps this year that underclassmen are dustin maguire at the ABCD adidas camp.alex tyus and jared leonard at the nike hoop jamboree. Also kyle kirk from kickapoo will be attending the jamboree. Imo coach cant wait to not try to get an advantage on the local talent asap. He did a great job with lisch, hopefully he will do the same with this talent