OT saw BJ Young and Jordan Granger this weekend

BJ is quite talented, but also one of the most self centered selfish players i have ever seen. he totally lost his cool in the last game as well and got three technicals and kicked out of the gym after delivering a forearm shiver to the back of the kid guarding him. good luck arkansas.

jordan granger has a nice body for a junior and shows some athleticism but i thought he played soft and was out played in both games i saw by high school centers that likely will never see D1 floors.

good thing mccluer is in missouri. they would be hard pressed to finish 3rd in the southwestern conference here in illinois.

BJ is quite talented, but also one of the most self centered selfish players i have ever seen. he totally lost his cool in the last game as well and got three technicals and kicked out of the gym after delivering a forearm shiver to the back of the kid guarding him. good luck arkansas.

jordan granger has a nice body for a junior and shows some athleticism but i thought he played soft and was out played in both games i saw by high school centers that likely will never see D1 floors.

good thing mccluer is in missouri. they would be hard pressed to finish 3rd in the southwestern conference here in illinois.

I heard that SLU is looking at Granger seriously. In your opinion, is he worth going after? Is there D-1 potential there?

Roy, was Young's meltdown in the Belleville West game?

yes, but he was close to blowing in the collinsville game the night before as well. apparently no one is allowed to touch him in missouri? he is quite the crybaby.

also, i was impressed with randy reeds apparently inspirations halftime speech on friday night vs collinsville. the team goes to the lockerroom and was back on the floor shooting in less than a minute. never have seen that before either.

I heard that SLU is looking at Granger seriously. In your opinion, is he worth going after? Is there D-1 potential there?

Yes. There are some BCS school on the cusp of offering. I think this kid is going to be really good and hope he picks SLU. Missouri State and SIUC are after him hard as well

has the athleticism and size. but someone needs to light a fire under him. lot of drifting around with no purpose. he was the biggest kid on the floor in both games and should have been dominating. just didnt seem to care. maybe that is just his demeanor. i dont know. but what i saw was a slightly better shooting cory remekun.

has the athleticism and size. but someone needs to light a fire under him. lot of drifting around with no purpose. he was the biggest kid on the floor in both games and should have been dominating. just didnt seem to care. maybe that is just his demeanor. i dont know. but what i saw was a slightly better shooting cory remekun.

Westy and Roy, thanks for the insight. Much appreciated!

"good thing mccluer is in missouri. they would be hard pressed to finish 3rd in the southwestern conference here in illinois"

it was one game Roy, against a team MCN had already beaten. I don't think any of the Illinois schools would finish in the top three of the MCC or the top two of the Suburban North.

Missouri is clearly better this year.

"good thing mccluer is in missouri. they would be hard pressed to finish 3rd in the southwestern conference here in illinois"

it was one game Roy, against a team MCN had already beaten. I don't think any of the Illinois schools would finish in the top three of the MCC or the top two of the Suburban North.

mcluer is not better than ofallon and when belleville west was full strength (as they were saturday night) they are also better. (mcluer beat west by a couple of points in december when west had 3 starters injured and 2 not playing).

mcluer almost lost to collinsville friday night and collinsville is going to finish 5th in the southwestern conference.

you need to come to belleville west on the 18th and see the ofallon at west rematch. you might see then that the missouri side doesnt match up. missouri might have a couple of players that are better (beal and young) but teamwise, i'll take ofallon and west.

McCluer North and McCluer are two different schools Roy. Which one did you mean? I know you'd be very quick to post here if one spoke interchangeably of Belleville West and Belleville East.

I would also agree with the general notion regarding making conclusions about one team or one game.

DeSmet played Chaminade twice, a lopsided loss at home and a three point loss on the road. (Berry btw had 26 in the recent one and continues to look very promising). DeSmet loses to Hazelwood Central badly, albeit without Berry playing. Then CBC wins at Hazelwood Central. DeSmet has beaten CBC three times.

Beal is averaging over 30 points a game. Against better teams he sometimes scores close to 40. I could go see him on a random Tues night against non-descript team and come up with a different conclusion of his abilities than I would if I saw him other times, etc...

Etc...etc...difficult to make big leaps and judgements of teams over one game.

mcluer is not better than ofallon and when belleville west was full strength (as they were saturday night) they are also better. (mcluer beat west by a couple of points in december when west had 3 starters injured and 2 not playing).

mcluer almost lost to collinsville friday night and collinsville is going to finish 5th in the southwestern conference.

you need to come to belleville west on the 18th and see the ofallon at west rematch. you might see then that the missouri side doesnt match up. missouri might have a couple of players that are better (beal and young) but teamwise, i'll take ofallon and west.

North already beat O'Fallon this year.

And Hazelwood Central, a Missouri school, is the definition of a balanced team, dominating without any one star player. Central also beat Belleville West earlier this year.

I am curious about Malcolm Hill Jr. as he seems like a player SLU could recruit.

i am talking about mcluer north.

hill is very talented and has size. but fundamentally a mess. gambles a lot on defense and against the good teams gives up as many points as he scores. that said, he is only a sophomore and will learn. i think he has a chance to be a big time player. i have seen him 5 times this year and of course no one from slu has been to any of those games. so apparently they dont feel the same way i do.

ofallon plays chaminade thursday. we'll see how that goes.

west also has no star players. not a single west starter will likely play division one basketball. (however point guard soph nick von osdale has time to develop) but they play basketball like it should be played. complete team effort on both ends of the floor. extra pass, great help defense, interchangeable parts. fun to watch.

i am talking about mcluer north.

hill is very talented and has size. but fundamentally a mess. gambles a lot on defense and against the good teams gives up as many points as he scores. that said, he is only a sophomore and will learn. i think he has a chance to be a big time player. i have seen him 5 times this year and of course no one from slu has been to any of those games. so apparently they dont feel the same way i do.

ofallon plays chaminade thursday. we'll see how that goes.

west also has no star players. not a single west starter will likely play division one basketball. (however point guard soph nick von osdale has time to develop) but they play basketball like it should be played. complete team effort on both ends of the floor. extra pass, great help defense, interchangeable parts. fun to watch.

We have looked into Hill I know. But in terms of getting out there recruiting-wise, our coaching staff is one of the worst in the nation so that's no surprise. Xavier's coaches are at seemingly every high school game in the midwest and they are actively recruiting at least 50 prospects. In the last three years of going to HS bball games (I've seen approximately 60 games or so in that span) I've seen SLU coaches at two, SLUH vs. Chaminade BEal's sophomore year and Clayton vs. Parkway South last year. Seeing Majerus in a gym watching high schoolers in almost unheard of these days.

Beal is far and away the best player in the area in my opinion, but I have a lot of respect for Roosevelt Jones so that will be interesting.

What about Jared White? What are your thoughts on that guy?

edit: for some reason I was thinking White was from the Ill side. I just remembered he plays at DeSoto

i have never been to desoto missouri. i know nothing about white

an illinois kid that intrigues me as a billiken possible is brandon book from Breese Central. book seems to me to be a rickma kind of player. plays hard. always seems to make the big defensive play and wants the ball in crunch time. gets up and down the floor, plays on the wing even though 6'6". he is only a junior so plenty of time to get involved. plus i am thinking that his grandfather is a billiken legacy. might be a billiken hall of famer but not sure about that.

:blink:

Porter Moser was just on a 3-day recruiting trip this weekend.

What's your point? Roy Williams went all the way to Milwaukee to watch a tournament. It's what coaches do. Our staff, and primarily our head coach, do a lot less of it. As long as we still get good players I'm fine with it.

What's your point? Roy Williams went all the way to Milwaukee to watch a tournament. It's what coaches do. Our staff, and primarily our head coach, do a lot less of it. As long as we still get good players I'm fine with it.

So you have compared the recruiting schedules of all 300+ Division I programs and have determined that our staff is one of the "worst in the nation" in terms of "getting out-there recruiting wise"? Just curious how you drew that conclusion.

We have looked into Hill I know. But in terms of getting out there recruiting-wise, our coaching staff is one of the worst in the nation so that's no surprise. Xavier's coaches are at seemingly every high school game in the midwest and they are actively recruiting at least 50 prospects. In the last three years of going to HS bball games (I've seen approximately 60 games or so in that span) I've seen SLU coaches at two, SLUH vs. Chaminade BEal's sophomore year and Clayton vs. Parkway South last year. Seeing Majerus in a gym watching high schoolers in almost unheard of these days.

Beal is far and away the best player in the area in my opinion, but I have a lot of respect for Roosevelt Jones so that will be interesting.

edit: for some reason I was thinking White was from the Ill side. I just remembered he plays at DeSoto

This is a pretty bold statement. Care to discuss how you came to this conclusion?

an illinois kid that intrigues me as a billiken possible is brandon book from Breese Central. book seems to me to be a rickma kind of player. plays hard. always seems to make the big defensive play and wants the ball in crunch time. gets up and down the floor, plays on the wing even though 6'6". he is only a junior so plenty of time to get involved. plus i am thinking that his grandfather is a billiken legacy. might be a billiken hall of famer but not sure about that.

I've seen Book play multiple times over the last couple of years and I saw him in Nashville this weekend against Mater Dei. He seems to always be a solid player. He can put up the big scoring night or he can have the game where he just contributes a lot even if it doesn't all show up on the stat sheet. Always plays hard and always seems to be around the ball. We'll see where he's at next year, but I really think he'd be a nice recruit for us.

Is this the same Roy Williams who yells at callers on his weekly radio program or the Roy Williams who has fans thrown out of games or the Roy Williams who yells at female reporters?

Interesting side note of the misinformation of recruiting...ESPN's Reggie Rankin incorrectly stated JP Tokoto's top 5 after Roy's visit. Tokoto and his parents had to correct it afterwards.

I've seen Majerus, Moser, etc...at many games AAU or high school. Harv Schmidt from Bullseye went out of his way to write about Majerus' in home visits etc...

I've seen Majerus, Moser, etc...at many games AAU or high school. Harv Schmidt from Bullseye went out of his way to write about Majerus' in home visits etc...

courtside, i am not saying they dont, but could you tell us what local players majerus and moser have been out to see? i have never seen either one at a local high school game in illinois. now that said, i do know that rick and jensen drove to pinckneyville to see kyle once and got lost on the way there. and i did see jensen at a cotto game, but at that time jensen was not a coach and was there more hanging out with kevin lisch who was there to watch his brother play.

now if you are saying they do all their watching in the summer at aau games, so be it. but i just dont see them out and about st louis area games and i probably go out to local games 2-3 times a week.

So you have compared the recruiting schedules of all 300+ Division I programs and have determined that our staff is one of the "worst in the nation" in terms of "getting out-there recruiting wise"? Just curious how you drew that conclusion.

I don't have any statistical analysis so maybe I shouldn't have said "one of the worst in the nation"

When was the last time you heard about RM at a high school or AAU game? He is the biggest representative about our team and coaching staff and I haven't heard about him being at a game in over a year. Tell me if you've heard otherwise.

While Porter and the rest certainly do better than RM, you don't hear much of them being out recruiting other than PM. If they are out recruiting, they do an outstanding job of staying low-key.

It shouldn't be a primary concern because we have landed players like McCall, Jett, Evans and Loe recently. But the longer we go without making the tournament, the more the significance of having Rick Majerus as your head coach fades. Couple that with health concerns and it paints a somewhat fragile recruiting picture.

courtside, i am not saying they dont, but could you tell us what local players majerus and moser have been out to see? i have never seen either one at a local high school game in illinois. now that said, i do know that rick and jensen drove to pinckneyville to see kyle once and got lost on the way there. and i did see jensen at a cotto game, but at that time jensen was not a coach and was there more hanging out with kevin lisch who was there to watch his brother play.

now if you are saying they do all their watching in the summer at aau games, so be it. but i just dont see them out and about st louis area games and i probably go out to local games 2-3 times a week.

Same way they saw BJ Young and many others. High School games, AAU games, tape, practice, pick up.