I fear a return of Sodieball

SLUDrew

Watching Paul Eckerle start against a team where he stood ZERO chance of effectively defending ANY player on the floor, my brother and I agreed that the wheels are coming off this thing in a hurry. If Willie and Kwamain don't return, I think Majerus hangs em up. The job is then handed to Moser without anyone considering the effect that could have on the future of the program. Before you know it we are recruiting second-team All-Conference players from rural Illinois and wham: Sodieball is back.

I like Moser a lot. I think he is passionate about the program and a great ambassador, but I have zero confidence that he will continue to recruit at the same level he is now without the name "Majerus" backing him up.

I honestly feel the decision that is made in regards to Willie and Kwamain, whichever way it goes, will have a trickle-down effect on this program for the next ten or so years.

Watching Paul Eckerle start against a team where he stood ZERO chance of effectively defending ANY player on the floor, my brother and I agreed that the wheels are coming off this thing in a hurry. If Willie and Kwamain don't return, I think Majerus hangs em up. The job is then handed to Moser without anyone considering the effect that could have on the future of the program. Before you know it we are recruiting second-team All-Conference players from rural Illinois and wham: Sodieball is back.

I like Moser a lot. I think he is passionate about the program and a great ambassador, but I have zero confidence that he will continue to recruit at the same level he is now without the name "Majerus" backing him up.

I honestly feel the decision that is made in regards to Willie and Kwamain, whichever way it goes, will have a trickle-down effect on this program for the next ten or so years.

I actually thought Paul got the start last night because it was "Washington, MO, Night" but I could be wrong. I think I saw it posted on the jumbotron before the game.

At one point in the second half last night, Paul Eckerle was guarding Chris Wright; that must have been a switch.

I agree that the decision re KM and WR is huge for the Basketball Program, and will have both short term and long term effects. I hope they are reinstated by SLU.

At one point in the second half last night, Paul Eckerle was guarding Chris Wright; that must have been a switch.

I agree that the decision re KM and WR is huge for the Basketball Program, and will have both short term and long term effects. I hope they are reinstated by SLU.

KM has been reinstated. Gillen even mentioned he practiced with the team. Still waiting on Willie I guess.

It will be a tough call to make if RM would leave. Moser could give some continuity and maybe keep the current players on the team. Plus, I think Biondi would love to go back to having a coach in the $300-$400K range.

However, RM is still the coach. He's had a history of missing time due to health concerns. I'd much rather see him doing that now and being in better shape for next season than trying to struggle through during a lost year.. Barring some major health concern I see him finishing out the contract.

It will be a tough call to make if RM would leave. Moser could give some continuity and maybe keep the current players on the team. Plus, I think Biondi would love to go back to having a coach in the $300-$400K range.

However, RM is still the coach. He's had a history of missing time due to health concerns. I'd much rather see him doing that now and being in better shape for next season than trying to struggle through during a lost year.. Barring some major health concern I see him finishing out the contract.

I think Biondi likes the arrangement now. SLU/Biondi doesnt pay Rick his salary.

Porter did a pretty good job of recruiting players at Illinois State; he just couldn't coach them.

Not exactly a glowing endorsement.

Again, I like Porter a lot and love having him around the program, but why would we entrust the building of our program to a guy who was under .500 in a lesser league?

Speaking of his coaching, I though his subbing patterns last night were abysmal.

Again, I like Porter a lot and love having him around the program, but why would we entrust the building of our program to a guy who was under .500 in a lesser league?

Speaking of his coaching, I though his subbing patterns last night were abysmal.

I think he is at a .510 winning percentage, so give Moser his due. Essentially, Rick took him back to school and put him under his wing. Good move by Porter to watch and learn from one of the great coaches of our era.

If RM ever left and the boosters who pay for RM were committed to paying the same overall salary, we should be able to land a very good coach. If I am not mistaken, Porter is making a VERY nice salary for being Associate head coach. If you couple all the assistant salaries and RM's salary together, the total salaries being paid out it pretty darn high. If SLU and the boosters would commit to paying that total, we could hire a very good coach especially if the Coach we hired didn't have a high salaried Associate Head Coach. I think we could land somebody pretty good.

The question would be, would we do that again?

If RM ever left and the boosters who pay for RM were committed to paying the same overall salary, we should be able to land a very good coach. If I am not mistaken, Porter is making a VERY nice salary for being Associate head coach. If you couple all the assistant salaries and RM's salary together, the total salaries being paid out it pretty darn high. If SLU and the boosters would commit to paying that total, we could hire a very good coach especially if the Coach we hired didn't have a high salaried Associate Head Coach. I think we could land somebody pretty good.

I think had the KM/WR situation hit the proverbial fan, it would have led Majerus to simply throw in the towel and ask out. I'm hoping and praying that it was a combination of alumni pressure and Majerus and of course good actions by Kwamain and Willie that will eventually lead them back into the fold. Observing from a distance here in Dallas, I sensed that a lot of you were going to reneg on season tickets, etc. Would you have followed through if KM/WR were not to return?

I agree that the funds are there, but is the commitment to continue to improve the program? Remember when Romar left for Washington? We heard the names of a lot of highly regarded assistants as having interest in the SLU job including Brian Gregory (who I know a lot of people on here mock as a Coach but the guy can flat out recruit. It was men playing boys last night). What did SLU do? We did the easy/cheap thing and handed the reins to Soderberg.

I would bet everything that I own that Moser is the next Coach at SLU. If that happens after we make a couple tournaments and establish SLU as a name brand we might be okay. If it happens after this year, we are screwed.

If it were my booster/arena money, I would want a serious commitment on the part of leisure suit larry to not nickel and dime the athletic department in general. That has to piss one off, shelling out 13-15 million over the past few years only to get charter flights pulled, no portable baskets in the practice facility, etc.

If it were my booster/arena money, I would want a serious commitment on the part of leisure suit larry to not nickel and dime the athletic department in general. That has to piss one off, shelling out 13-15 million over the past few years only to get charter flights pulled, no portable baskets in the practice facility, etc.

-rick was on with bernie at about 12.15 today and said twice he is still "very enthusiastic" about coaching at SLU