miklasz on the big 12

funniest line is the one about SPUMAC's proud and successful history in basketball and that they have a lot to offer.

THEY DON"T HAVE A LOT TO OFFER

that's why they are down by the over pass with their thumb out hoping to catch a ride into a decent conference

This is hilarious. IF they go to the Big 10 hello worse football program due to no more TX recruits. They may do better in BB w/ some Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee kids

Well the Mountain West has their own channel too. Actually I don't want them to go there because I actually like the MWC but then again I could go to TCU games and really have something to cheer about when they came to town.

funniest line is the one about SPUMAC's proud and successful history in basketball and that they have a lot to offer.

THEY DON"T HAVE A LOT TO OFFER

that's why they are down by the over pass with their thumb out hoping to catch a ride into a decent conference

This is hilarious. IF they go to the Big 10 hello worse football program due to no more TX recruits. They may do better in BB w/ some Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee kids

Well the Mountain West has their own channel too. Actually I don't want them to go there because I actually like the MWC but then again I could go to TCU games and really have something to cheer about when they came to town.

This should probably be a lesson to our fans, coaches and administration. With as much whining as we've done about the A10 I doubt any of the other schools in the conference will give us the time of day if a big shift happens.

I don't understand the point of the article. A lot of this complaining about Nebraska and Texas by our friends in Columbia just seems like sour grapes now. I think Missouri's fans, the media that supports them and perhaps some in their administration overestimated their appeal. They jumped the gun before they reached the finish line. Many MU fans were itching to rub it in the faces of their Big 12 counterparts if they left for the Big 10. Well, now that circumstances have shifted and they appear to have egg on their face, they are left to whine about Texas and Nebraska. If they wind up in the Mountain West, that would be a disaster.

This should probably be a lesson to our fans, coaches and administration. With as much whining as we've done about the A10 I doubt any of the other schools in the conference will give us the time of day if a big shift happens.

+1 but I am not sure the administration has done any whining just the coach and the fans have no impact on how others in the conference feel about us. Also, the bottom line is if a shake up does come then it will be every man for himself regardless of how good or bad people feel about us.

I don't understand the point of the article. A lot of this complaining about Nebraska and Texas by our friends in Columbia just seems like sour grapes now. I think Missouri's fans, the media that supports them and perhaps some in their administration overestimated their appeal. They jumped the gun before they reached the finish line. Many MU fans were itching to rub it in the faces of their Big 12 counterparts if they left for the Big 10. Well, now that circumstances have shifted and they appear to have egg on their face, they are left to whine about Texas and Nebraska. If they wind up in the Mountain West, that would be a disaster.

The point is that TX and NE do not want to be labeled as the bad guys here so they are looking to blame someone and they picked MU since they had most of the talk about leaving. CO was smart they sat back and said nothing so they kind of get a pass. Bottom line was MU misplayed their cards and now they are being blamed because of it to give cover to those who were working in the background to take care of themselves. If the Big 12 breaks up the MU can take some solace in the fact that the Conference they were unhappy with ended up dissolving because of their actions - stupid actions but nonetheless theirs.

The point is that TX and NE do not want to be labeled as the bad guys here so they are looking to blame someone and they picked MU since they had most of the talk about leaving. CO was smart they sat back and said nothing so they kind of get a pass. Bottom line was MU misplayed their cards and now they are being blamed because of it to give cover to those who were working in the background to take care of themselves. If the Big 12 breaks up the MU can take some solace in the fact that the Conference they were unhappy with ended up dissolving because of their actions - stupid actions but nonetheless theirs.

For years, rumors have been circulating that the Big 10 has been interested in Mizzou. ND has been/remains their #1 target. Nebraska, UConn, Pitt, Rutgers, etc. have been recent names with the recent 16 team conference discussions. Mizzou possibly could have made statements to downplay the rumors but I don't think Mizzou started the recent rumors. Because of the longstanding interest from the Big 10, I believe the Mizzou rumors of joining the Big 10 were found to be more credible/reliable.

I've been out of town recently but what exactly did Mizzou do in misplaying their cards?

For years, rumors have been circulating that the Big 10 has been interested in Mizzou. ND has been/remains their #1 target. Nebraska, UConn, Pitt, Rutgers, etc. have been recent names with the recent 16 team conference discussions. Mizzou possibly could have made statements to downplay the rumors but I don't think Mizzou started the recent rumors. Because of the longstanding interest from the Big 10, I believe the Mizzou rumors of joining the Big 10 were found to be more credible/reliable.

I've been out of town recently but what exactly did Mizzou do in misplaying their cards?

Its as much as what is said as is unsaid. Publicly, MU did the "we are proud members of the Big 12" quote which everybody understood didn't mean anything. The governor has been spouting off for almost a year now about how the Big 10 is the better conference. If MU didn't want him to say that, they should have told him to stop. I believe he was likely encouraged to talk as an "unofficial" voice.

Finally, at the Big 12 meetings a couple weeks ago, all teams were allowed to say their peace and proclaim their Big 12 loyalty. MU apparently made it abundently clear at that meeting that they intended to leave for the Big 10 if asked. Given their statements at the meetings, Nebraska realized they needed to move quickly to secure the 12th spot in the Big 10. More spots may open up, but they may not.

Yes, MU got a bad draw on things but they also screwed this up. They were incredibly obvious about their intentions to leave and in being so alienated the rest of the conference and started the dominoes. I certainly am not buying the revisionist history from some (including Bernie's article yesterday) that this wasn't MU's fault. They lit the match that started the fire.

Its as much as what is said as is unsaid. Publicly, MU did the "we are proud members of the Big 12" quote which everybody understood didn't mean anything. The governor has been spouting off for almost a year now about how the Big 10 is the better conference. If MU didn't want him to say that, they should have told him to stop. I believe he was likely encouraged to talk as an "unofficial" voice.

Finally, at the Big 12 meetings a couple weeks ago, all teams were allowed to say their peace and proclaim their Big 12 loyalty. MU apparently made it abundently clear at that meeting that they intended to leave for the Big 10 if asked. Given their statements at the meetings, Nebraska realized they needed to move quickly to secure the 12th spot in the Big 10. More spots may open up, but they may not.

Yes, MU got a bad draw on things but they also screwed this up. They were incredibly obvious about their intentions to leave and in being so alienated the rest of the conference and started the dominoes. I certainly am not buying the revisionist history from some (including Bernie's article yesterday) that this wasn't MU's fault. They lit the match that started the fire.

Good points. Like I said, I've been out of town these past 4 days so if not much happened then, I understand and agree with your thoughts as to Mizzou's actions this past year. Does seem like Mizzou was played by the Big 10 and not only fell but fell hard. At the same time, Mizzou did not start the dominoes or light any match. Instead, the dominoes and match were started by the NCAA rules on conference championships, cable channel money and the current finances of college football. Arrogant?? Yes. Played like a fiddle? Yes.

Obviously, the Big 10 did its homework and prefer NE over Mizzou. While I understand the high quality of the football program and its relative equal geography, I am not certain NE would bring in as much money to the other Big 10 schools as Mizzou could. Bigger name for advertizers? Certainly in the short run. Passion around the entire state? Absolutely. Still, just not many people and TV's in Nebraska.

Right now, though, the Big 10 looks really smart. They added their much need 12th school (and a big name football school as well), they keep their options open with ND, they know they can add Big East schools if they want and they know they can probably add Mizzou at any time if they want as well. Also, none of their potential additions can or will make demands like Texas to also bring in their ugly sister schools. Good time for them to sit back and wait.

Curious. What's the attraction to Oklahoma State? Again, not many people and TV's in Oklahoma and the addition of OU (the bigger/better school) will bring in whole TV/media market of Oklahoma? If I were the PAC 10 czar, I'd much rather add Utah State than Oklahoma State.

Good points. Like I said, I've been out of town these past 4 days so if not much happened then, I understand and agree with your thoughts as to Mizzou's actions this past year. Does seem like Mizzou was played by the Big 10 and not only fell but fell hard. At the same time, Mizzou did not start the dominoes or light any match. Instead, the dominoes and match were started by the NCAA rules on conference championships, cable channel money and the current finances of college football. Arrogant?? Yes. Played like a fiddle? Yes.

Obviously, the Big 10 did its homework and prefer NE over Mizzou. While I understand the high quality of the football program and its relative equal geography, I am not certain NE would bring in as much money to the other Big 10 schools as Mizzou could. Bigger name for advertizers? Certainly in the short run. Passion around the entire state? Absolutely. Still, just not many people and TV's in Nebraska.

Right now, though, the Big 10 looks really smart. They added their much need 12th school (and a big name football school as well), they keep their options open with ND, they know they can add Big East schools if they want and they know they can probably add Mizzou at any time if they want as well. Also, none of their potential additions can or will make demands like Texas to also bring in their ugly sister schools. Good time for them to sit back and wait.

Curious. What's the attraction to Oklahoma State? Again, not many people and TV's in Oklahoma and the addition of OU (the bigger/better school) will bring in whole TV/media market of Oklahoma? If I were the PAC 10 czar, I'd much rather add Utah State than Oklahoma State.

Boone Pickens. Think Chaifetz times 100.

Seems like MU to the SEC is gaining traction. They fit reasonably well geographically and could go with A&M to make a 14 team conference.

Boone Pickens. Think Chaifetz times 100.

Seems like MU to the SEC is gaining traction. They fit reasonably well geographically and could go with A&M to make a 14 team conference.

Wow. Did not realize the facility expasion at OSU in recent years. These have been sorely needed for years. Football is now 60,000 and basketball is over 13,000 (up from a little over 6,000). Even though 82 and not likely to be around for years to come, Pickens already has donated.

http://www.okstate.com/facilities/boone-pickens-stadium.html

Man no wonder you guys think MU is the evil empire- they apparently have complete control over the governor of the state of Missouri!

pinkel and anderson are probably the two highest paid state of missouri employees. that tells you how much "pull and attention" tiger athletics has in the state of missouri.

Man no wonder you guys think MU is the evil empire- they apparently have complete control over the governor of the state of Missouri!

If you honestly believe that after Nixon first started in on his preference for the Big 10, a simple call to him saying "hey, we like the Big 12, cut it out" wouldn't have shut him up, then you are crazy. Instead, he continued to do it for the last year.

This has nothing to do with an evil empire. Every state in the Big 12 has had their politicians involved over the past month, but you want us to believe that the Missouri governor wasn't being fed those lines from the get go. Come on!

I don't like MU but I still believe they will end up fine in a BCS conference. Just don't tell me they are innocent victims, because they aren't.

If you honestly believe that after Nixon first started in on his preference for the Big 10, a simple call to him saying "hey, we like the Big 12, cut it out" wouldn't have shut him up, then you are crazy. Instead, he continued to do it for the last year.

This has nothing to do with an evil empire. Every state in the Big 12 has had their politicians involved over the past month, but you want us to believe that the Missouri governor wasn't being fed those lines from the get go. Come on!

I don't like MU but I still believe they will end up fine in a BCS conference. Just don't tell me they are innocent victims, because they aren't.

I never did.

I also don't think it matters what Nixon had to say about it.

For what it's worth Darren Ravelle on CNBC just said it looks like the Texas Schools & the Okkies are going to stay in the Big 12.

The guy on orangebloods.com has been all over this story from the start and has the same take. Looks like ESPN.com will end up being wrong.

Funny that all we have been hearing for the last 10 years is how valuable a championship game is in football but when push comes to shove the t.v. rights split 10 ways may be more valuable to the Big 12 (in particular Texas) than the t.v. rights split 12 ways with a championship game.

I have to assume there will be significant buy-out clauses for all remaining Big 12 lite teams and the likelihood of anybody defecting (including MU) will be reduced going forward.

I would not disagree with what you have said. By misplaying their cards what I am referencing is the Gov. making statements about how the Big 12 has treated us badly and we should look out for ourselves - he made these statements only a couple of weeks ago. I also think that Alden's actions made it look like the Big 10 was MU's first choice since they had been so mistreated by the Big 12 on TV money and bowl assignments. I do actually think that even if MU had done nothing that the same result would have happened so my words about misplaying their cards could have been a bit harsh.

The guy on orangebloods.com has been all over this story from the start and has the same take. Looks like ESPN.com will end up being wrong.

Funny that all we have been hearing for the last 10 years is how valuable a championship game is in football but when push comes to shove the t.v. rights split 10 ways may be more valuable to the Big 12 (in particular Texas) than the t.v. rights split 12 ways with a championship game.

I have to assume there will be significant buy-out clauses for all remaining Big 12 lite teams and the likelihood of anybody defecting (including MU) will be reduced going forward.

I could be wrong, but I don't think they'll stay at 10 for very long. If they're smart any expansion will be outside their current footprint. Schools like Cincy, Louisville, Memphis, Utah, New Mexico in the mix. Newer markets and more $$.

I would not disagree with what you have said. By misplaying their cards what I am referencing is the Gov. making statements about how the Big 12 has treated us badly and we should look out for ourselves - he made these statements only a couple of weeks ago. I also think that Alden's actions made it look like the Big 10 was MU's first choice since they had been so mistreated by the Big 12 on TV money and bowl assignments. I do actually think that even if MU had done nothing that the same result would have happened so my words about misplaying their cards could have been a bit harsh.

Agreed. mizzou didn't help their cause by crowing, but nebraska would have been taken even if mizzou had refused months ago.

Shoe. Temporary lull. Things are NOT over with. Big 12 is NOT stable with 10 schools and with everyone of them now looking out for themselves. If the Mizzou got the nod from the Big 10 (maybe in 6 to 12 months), they would leave in a heartbeat. I still think UT is a better fit for the SEC and all this talk about the PAC 10 is a smokescreen. No way do the TX and OK want to travel to California, Oregon and Washington.

Buy-out clauses are, and will continue to be a joke. For SLU, $5 million is a HUGE figure -- would sure buy alot of charter flights -- when T. Boone Pickens donates $165 million and when the big football schools want to make a decision, the buy-out clause is minor issue. I guarantee you that if Mizzou had the chance to join to an elite conference, the Missouri legislature would spend the $5 million is necessary. Most likely, though, guys like Laurie and Kronke would step up and pay whatever fee is required. Same with UT, Texas A&M, etc.

Shoe. Temporary lull. Things are NOT over with. Big 12 is NOT stable with 10 schools and with everyone of them now looking out for themselves. If the Mizzou got the nod from the Big 10 (maybe in 6 to 12 months), they would leave in a heartbeat. I still think UT is a better fit for the SEC and all this talk about the PAC 10 is a smokescreen. No way do the TX and OK want to travel to California, Oregon and Washington.

Buy-out clauses are, and will continue to be a joke. For SLU, $5 million is a HUGE figure -- would sure buy alot of charter flights -- when T. Boone Pickens donates $165 million and when the big football schools want to make a decision, the buy-out clause is minor issue. I guarantee you that if Mizzou had the chance to join to an elite conference, the Missouri legislature would spend the $5 million is necessary. Most likely, though, guys like Laurie and Kronke would step up and pay whatever fee is required. Same with UT, Texas A&M, etc.

Supposedly, Nebraska and Colorado are paying $10mm buyout fees to leave the Big 12. If the new Big 12/10 were to say triple those buyout fees, even big boys like Mizzou would have to think twice about it.

Supposedly, Nebraska and Colorado are paying $10mm buyout fees to leave the Big 12. If the new Big 12/10 were to say triple those buyout fees, even big boys like Mizzou would have to think twice about it.

I had heard $3 million to $5 million for Mizzou if it had left the Big 12 for the Big 10. $10 million is ALOT more but still not a prohibitive figure. $30 million, though, probably would be a prohibitive figure. Then, again, it's really all about how they are written. Seems like the first 1 or 2 teams should bear the larger cost. For instance, as in the current situation, if 2 teams were to leave and pay the fee (whether $5 million, $10 million or $30 million), then it does not seem fair to similarly punish the remaining teams. Not just quantity of teams either. For instance, most would probably agree that there would be a difference if UT and OU were to leave (still only 2 teams) rather than if KState and Iowa State. Also, just like SLU's bargaining position (we could not demand a large buyout if RM were to leave SLU early) when we trying to hire RM, I cannot believe Commisioner Beebe and the Big XII are in any position to require OU and UT to pay much, if any, future buyout fees.

I could be wrong, but I don't think they'll stay at 10 for very long. If they're smart any expansion will be outside their current footprint. Schools like Cincy, Louisville, Memphis, Utah, New Mexico in the mix. Newer markets and more $$.

You must not know Dan Beebe.