OT: Izzo

Hawk

With Izzo potentially going to the Cavs, people have been speculating who would be coach. Fran Fraschilla has this to say: "Brian Gregory is Izzo guy most like Tom in temperment and would be logical replacement to me. Don't think Crean would leave IU hanging."

Wouldn't that be something.

Personally, I hope Izzo stays though. He's good for college basketball.

With Izzo potentially going to the Cavs, people have been speculating who would be coach. Fran Fraschilla has this to say: "Brian Gregory is Izzo guy most like Tom in temperment and would be logical replacement to me. Don't think Crean would leave IU hanging."

Bill Self may be in the market for a new job If KU doesn't find a respectable conference to join.

he is one of the foremost proponent and teacher of thugball. which is about the biggest problem with basketball from every level. the sooner the likes of tom izzo goes the better for basketball period.

the only good thing about izzo that i can see is apparently he runs a pretty clean program. that said, i still shake my head over how in the world zach randolph ever got into college.

he is one of the foremost proponent and teacher of thugball. which is about the biggest problem with basketball from every level. the sooner the likes of tom izzo goes the better for basketball period.

the only good thing about izzo that i can see is apparently he runs a pretty clean program. that said, i still shake my head over how in the world zach randolph ever got into college.

Probably the same way all of our athletes got in.

Gregory would be a logical choice. He was an excellent recruiter at Michigan St and the AD there says if Izzo leaves he already has a list of candidates and would make offers immediately.

Izzo would be dumb to leave. College coaches don't translate to the NBA. He has to know that even if James resigns they won't be the favorite in the East next year, and depending on who signs with Wade in Miami, maybe ever. If James doesn't resign the Cleveland team is absolutely horrible. Gilbert has proven to be a poor owner. First he hires a GM with no experience and a feckless coach, then he fires those guys because he thinks he can make better decisions? If Izzo goes to Cleveland he won't last 2 seasons.

Gregory would be a logical choice. He was an excellent recruiter at Michigan St and the AD there says if Izzo leaves he already has a list of candidates and would make offers immediately.

Izzo would be dumb to leave. College coaches don't translate to the NBA. He has to know that even if James resigns they won't be the favorite in the East next year, and depending on who signs with Wade in Miami, maybe ever. If James doesn't resign the Cleveland team is absolutely horrible. Gilbert has proven to be a poor owner. First he hires a GM with no experience and a feckless coach, then he fires those guys because he thinks he can make better decisions? If Izzo goes to Cleveland he won't last 2 seasons.

My guess is that he is not going. It's been dragging on to long. If he wanted the job he would have taken it by now.

My guess is that he is not going. It's been dragging on to long. If he wanted the job he would have taken it by now.

I think it's dragged on because of King James not making up his mind. Izzo would be a fool to go if James is going elsewhere. Cleveland will not make the playoffs w/o James even if the Wizard of Westwood arose from the dead to coach them.

I guess it is dumb if you take the finances out of it. He will make at least twice as much in his time in the NBA as he would at MSU. If it doesn't work out he can come back to the college game and be the hottest free agent coach there is.

Washing out in the NBA hasn't seemed to hurt Pitino or Calipari. Take the money and worry about the rest later.

Washing out in the NBA hasn't seemed to hurt Pitino or Calipari. Take the money and worry about the rest later.

I guess it is dumb if you take the finances out of it. He will make at least twice as much in his time in the NBA as he would at MSU. If it doesn't work out he can come back to the college game and be the hottest free agent coach there is.

+1

if in two seasons he doubles or triples his current pay, he is miles ahead. at age 55 or 56 (not sure but i think izzo is that old) nothing wrong with tommy setting up his retirement fund. and if he only lasts two seasons, he is sitting pretty good in retirement and probably snags a nice mid six figure college basketball analyst job to coast home his remaining years. never again having to recruit again. i would do it in a second if i was izzo. especially if he has some guarantee that lebron is in for the long haul as a cav. heck ron ekker could coach a lebron included roster and make the playoffs and would last longer than 2 seasons.

if in two seasons he doubles or triples his current pay, he is miles ahead. at age 55 or 56 (not sure but i think izzo is that old) nothing wrong with tommy setting up his retirement fund. and if he only lasts two seasons, he is sitting pretty good in retirement and probably snags a nice mid six figure college basketball analyst job to coast home his remaining years. never again having to recruit again. i would do it in a second if i was izzo. especially if he has some guarantee that lebron is in for the long haul as a cav. heck ron ekker could coach a lebron included roster and make the playoffs and would last longer than 2 seasons.

Ron Ekker led the La Crosse Catbirds of the CBA to a Western Division title with a 40-14 record one season. :lol:

For every Calipari and Pitino who has come back to the college ranks there is 10 Tim Floyds. Or a guy like PJ Carlesimo who couldn't get hired by any college in the country.

Izzo could make a lot of money but even Pitino and Calipari took major hits to their legacies by going to the NBA and failing. Pitino had to take over a rebuilding Louisville and Calipari a downtrodden Memphis program. Pitino took over a UK program on NCAA probation, that was the best job he could get. When he came back again he took over a Louisville program coming off a 12 win season. Calipari didn't make the NCAAs at Memphis till year 3. Plus Izzo isn't a slick guy like Pitino and Calipari. Izzo doesn't recruit consensus All Americans to Michigan St. It took him years to build MSU into a contender with his type of player. At this stage of his career I don't think he can start over in the college game.

For every Calipari and Pitino who has come back to the college ranks there is 10 Tim Floyds. Or a guy like PJ Carlesimo who couldn't get hired by any college in the country.

Izzo could make a lot of money but even Pitino and Calipari took major hits to their legacies by going to the NBA and failing. Pitino had to take over a rebuilding Louisville and Calipari a downtrodden Memphis program. Pitino took over a UK program on NCAA probation, that was the best job he could get. When he came back again he took over a Louisville program coming off a 12 win season. Calipari didn't make the NCAAs at Memphis till year 3. Plus Izzo isn't a slick guy like Pitino and Calipari. Izzo doesn't recruit consensus All Americans to Michigan St. It took him years to build MSU into a contender with his type of player. At this stage of his career I don't think he can start over in the college game.

And that's what he's thinking about. It's late in his career. Another NBA shot might not happen for him. And one certainly won't happen with a player like Lebron (assuming he stays).

This situation certainly has our attention in Dayton. Izzo and Heathcoat are very tight with Gregory and that group has a fierce loyalty. Of course I can't be sure that Gregory would be first choice, but every indication I am getting through those close to the program says he is probably the top choice right now. Izzo is still 50/50 from what I am hearing. I don't think this will drag out beyond Monday, whatever the decision is.