One roster spot still available?

Is that correct? With 7 returning(not counting Femi John),and 5 incoming(McCall,Evans,Loe,Jett and Barnett transfer),do we still have one schollie open?

Is that correct? With 7 returning(not counting Femi John),and 5 incoming(McCall,Evans,Loe,Jett and Barnett transfer),do we still have one schollie open?

I was wondering the same thing, but thought he would probably have to sit out a year as a transfer. I could be wrong about that though.

I was wondering the same thing, but thought he would probably have to sit out a year as a transfer. I could be wrong about that though.

He will have to sit out the 2010-11 year, but he still counts against the 13 scholarships. There's one more roster spot to fill. It could go to Eckerle, perhaps, if they don't bring in another player.

He will have to sit out the 2010-11 year, but he still counts against the 13 scholarships. There's one more roster spot to fill. It could go to Eckerle, perhaps, if they don't bring in another player.

i think that one is reserved for angel nunez. fatman has got to be up to something here

Is there a reason you think this? Or just speculating?

just a theory. it seems like a questionable move to pick up a transfer when we again have no graduating players. especially one who probably isn't of the caliber of our incoming frosh. makes me think the nd prep connection (JJ 2.0 and JB) is more than a coincidence. id like to think we are building some kind of comfort level for the more coveted nd prep recruits like a nunez.

just a theory. it seems like a questionable move to pick up a transfer when we again have no graduating players. especially one who probably isn't of the caliber of our incoming frosh. makes me think the nd prep connection (JJ 2.0 and JB) is more than a coincidence. id like to think we are building some kind of comfort level for the more coveted nd prep recruits like a nunez.

I agree. Although JB is from Wauwatosa, WI which is within walking distance of where Majerus grew up. I heard he knew their family as well so I think there was a lot more too it than building a ND prep connection.

Although this connection has a lot of unforeseen benefits. The college game has shifted to a much younger playing base. Now that the HS to NBA route isn't available and not too many HS players are going to take the Brandon Jennings route, more star players are playing college and at the same time leaving earlier. The John Walls and Xavier Henrys don't stick around too long. Bringing in ND prep players helps keep a quality team avoid being a bunch of 18 and 19 year olds and some 22 year old bench warmers. Since Barnett went to ND prep and transferred from Toledo this means he could be playing players that are 5 grades younger than him his final year at SLU. That kind of age is definitely an intangible worthy of consideration. Even players like Jett and Nunez will have one more year under their belt than most players.

Let Calipari waste his time begging top players to play for him for a year. I think Majerus knows that this kind of battle isn't worth SLU's effort. Our recruitment strategy is to look for players that are going to stick around and develop and if players are willing to go to ND prep for a year, they are making a strong indication that they value patience and long term development.

I also think Majerus is going to hold on to the scholarship spots right now. He's gonna want one to play around with next year. Even if Femi won't be playing next year, I still think he's done with offers. We'd have 2 walk ons and 10 scholarship players, plus Barnett making 13 bodies for practice and 12 for games. If Femi stays that would put us at 14 at practice and 13 for games. That is plenty.

So this i show big time basketball works? Interesting.

Majerus arrives and cleans house. Gone are Maguire, Knollmeyer, Mitchell and Relaphorde. Not a bad sweep if you meaure it in two playing Division Ii ball and one not doing much at SIUE. Relaphorde? I guess he's doing okay if your measure success as the third leading scorer on a sub-.500 team as success.

Then in come seven freshmen and we still lose Thompson, Cotto and now John. Keepers are Mitchell, Reed, Cassity and Conklin. Then six more and we lose Jordan, Reid, and Smith. Keepers are Ellis, Salecich and Remuken. Now its in with McCall, Evans, Loe, Jett and Barnett. Has the tide been stemmed? When will the revolivng door stop? I'm thinking its this year and i hop eits this year but i am guessing thisis the way it goes.

When Sodeberg was fired, I didn't understand the move. It seemed we were safe, stil doin gmore with less. The firing made me scratch my head ebacuse there had to be a drastic shot into this progrma to get itoff the schneid. Majerus seems to be that shot. Now --- I know folks are bemoaning what is happening here but this msut be the radical surgery needed on a brain dead program.

Sure makes for interesting off seasons, I'll say that.

Hate to see Smith go but its still "In Rick I trust."

Majerus arrives and cleans house. Gone are Maguire, Knollmeyer, Mitchell and Relaphorde. Not a bad sweep if you meaure it in two playing Division Ii ball and one not doing much at SIUE. Relaphorde? I guess he's doing okay if your measure success as the third leading scorer on a sub-.500 team as success.

Then in come seven freshmen and we still lose Thompson, Cotto and now John. Keepers are Mitchell, Reed, Cassity and Conklin. Then six more and we lose Jordan, Reid, and Smith. Keepers are Ellis, Salecich and Remuken. Now its in with McCall, Evans, Loe, Jett and Barnett. Has the tide been stemmed? When will the revolivng door stop? I'm thinking its this year and i hop eits this year but i am guessing thisis the way it goes.

When Sodeberg was fired, I didn't understand the move. It seemed we were safe, stil doin gmore with less. The firing made me scratch my head ebacuse there had to be a drastic shot into this progrma to get itoff the schneid. Majerus seems to be that shot. Now --- I know folks are bemoaning what is happening here but this msut be the radical surgery needed on a brain dead program.

or the option when players blow out knees and get brain concussions or don't live up to billing is just live with it and whine about bad luck?

i think that one is reserved for angel nunez. fatman has got to be up to something here

Who is Nunez? How tall is he and what position does he play? We need a big man to replace Smith. How good is he supposed to be? Is he a scorer and/or a good rebounder?

Who is Nunez? How tall is he and what position does he play? We need a big man to replace Smith. How good is he supposed to be? Is he a scorer and/or a good rebounder?

He's 6'7, 200 as far as I can find. He plays SF. Honestly sounds like a photocopy of JS...

While Nunez is a prospect with tremendous upside, he is very raw and being brought along slowly at Winchendon, playing only limited minutes off the bench. In Friday's game Nunez played only 12 minutes, scoring 2 points on 1-8 shooting from the floor (National Prep School Invitational).

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/...cruitId%3d95470

A lot of big names after him though.

I agree. Although JB is from Wauwatosa, WI which is within walking distance of where Majerus grew up. I heard he knew their family as well so I think there was a lot more too it than building a ND prep connection.

i got the sense we got him more because of his connection to majerus. But it also helps to tell ND prep recruits about 2 former players on your roster so this is definately becoming a pipeline. Hopefully in 3 years you can tell the top ND players how successful these 2 guys were on some very successful teams.

That all being said, he has a high bball IQ and is supposed to have a reliable jumper, out to the 3.

noticed that in the video on the espn page. he runs and rebounds like JS but that jumper in the video is something Smith didnt seem to have in his game.

i got the sense we got him more because of his connection to majerus. But it also helps to tell ND prep recruits about 2 former players on your roster so this is definately becoming a pipeline. Hopefully in 3 years you can tell the top ND players how successful these 2 guys were on some very successful teams.

noticed that in the video on the espn page. he runs and rebounds like JS but that jumper in the video is something Smith didnt seem to have in his game.

We are not recruiting Angel Nunez and if we aren't yet we probably won't. So I wouldn't waste time worrying about it.

If Femi is gone it is only because of his injury situation not because he was encouraged to leave.