Will Conference Realignment affect 2010-11 Season

bk18

I would not expect anything for about 2 years. I figure the Big 11 will have to wait about a year after the announcement for the school to actually move to its conference. Thats is at least covering the 2010 season and i dont foresee such a large move occurring that quickly. especially with the big 10.

I would not expect anything for about 2 years. I figure the Big 11 will have to wait about a year after the announcement for the school to actually move to its conference. Thats is at least covering the 2010 season and i dont foresee such a large move occurring that quickly. especially with the big 10.

I think the Big 10 will make some big changes this year. I just think its going to take another year before it impacts other conferences significantly. But man I hate the Atlantic 10. I just want to see SLU, Xavier, DePaul, Dayton, and Butler in the same conference somehow by 2013 and I don't want to see us have to travel east of Ohio for 80% of our games. I might be dreaming but its more reasonable than SLU getting a d1 football team anytime soon.

I think the Big 10 will make some big changes this year. I just think its going to take another year before it impacts other conferences significantly. But man I hate the Atlantic 10. I just want to see SLU, Xavier, DePaul, Dayton, and Butler in the same conference somehow by 2013 and I don't want to see us have to travel east of Ohio for 80% of our games. I might be dreaming but its more reasonable than SLU getting a d1 football team anytime soon.

I'm not so sure Butler will be in any hurry to depart the Horizon. They dominate it which means they'll go dancing every year. Obviously playing those teams doesn't hurt their chances once they're in the dance. Our best hope, of course, is the BE non FB schools decide on a Papal Conf set up w/ East and West divisions. I can see Creighton wanting in on that mix. So you'd have your 6 MW teams. You might not even need Creighton if ND decides to stay independent in FB. That would be SLU, X, UD, ND, MU, and DeP. The East would be, SH, StJohn, StJoes, Vil, GU, and Providence. Now this would be a conference to get excited about.

We should get to know the A 10 players, coaches, and be a dominant team before run out on the League.

However, the have to fix the local TV and radio strength for away games. This is rediculous that there is no feed for our TV sets.

I do not care about coverage for home games because I go to the games.

GOSLU

Interestingly, Majerus said he'd be out of coaching before SLU left the A10. He obviously isn't expecting the big conference blow-up to occur for several more years. That, or he's not planning on coaching much longer (let's hope it's the former).

Interestingly, Majerus said he'd be out of coaching before SLU left the A10. He obviously isn't expecting the big conference blow-up to occur for several more years. That, or he's not planning on coaching much longer (let's hope it's the former).

I think Majerus likes to say the opposite of what he really believes. He said Cody Ellis couldn't touch the rim in January and he said Darrin would see a lot of minutes against Princeton and he didn't play a penny. I think when Rick was talking about leaving the A-10 for the MVC he didn't mean that directly - but it was his way of saying he wants us in a different conference where teams are closer. He probably would want to be in a league that would include perhaps Marquette, DePaul, Xavier, Dayton, Creighton, Drake, Butler and other similar schools. He just can't go out and say that because its too speculative for that moment.

Biondi needs to make some moves quick to help us develop a stronger athletic program. We stand no chance in a good conference with the kind of athletic venues we have (besides Chaifetz and Hermann of course!). I'd say that baseball and softball are fine as well. But our track is a local high school's track and I would say that 90% of all high schools in the country have better tracks than that. We no longer have tennis courts on campus and I think the field hockey team has to travel 30+ minutes to practice.

If SLU can make a big move and improve their athletic facilities and venues like they have with the Chaifetz Arena, we would have a spot in any reasonable conference we would want to get into.

See my topic: Grand Valley SLU Athletic Complex

I think Majerus likes to say the opposite of what he really believes. He said Cody Ellis couldn't touch the rim in January and he said Darrin would see a lot of minutes against Princeton and he didn't play a penny. I think when Rick was talking about leaving the A-10 for the MVC he didn't mean that directly - but it was his way of saying he wants us in a different conference where teams are closer. He probably would want to be in a league that would include perhaps Marquette, DePaul, Xavier, Dayton, Creighton, Drake, Butler and other similar schools. He just can't go out and say that because its too speculative for that moment.

Biondi needs to make some moves quick to help us develop a stronger athletic program. We stand no chance in a good conference with the kind of athletic venues we have (besides Chaifetz and Hermann of course!). I'd say that baseball and softball are fine as well. But our track is a local high school's track and I would say that 90% of all high schools in the country have better tracks than that. We no longer have tennis courts on campus and I think the field hockey team has to travel 30+ minutes to practice.

If SLU can make a big move and improve their athletic facilities and venues like they have with the Chaifetz Arena, we would have a spot in any reasonable conference we would want to get into.

The baseball field is need of some work if they want to play with the big boys. It has gotten a little better over the last few years but not where it needs to be. This just isnt a commitment.

imo, rickma only kicked up the sandstorm about the mvc this season only to p!ss off biondi. i doubt he cares one bit about being in the mvc. he is far too intelligent to want that step backwards.

Now that the season's over, I think its time to bring this discussion back up.

Will the Bills stay in the Atlantic 10? Will the Atlantic 10 be the same? What will changes be like elsewhere?

Because it wasn't talked enough about during the regular season? There are literally dozens of threads on this subject and until something new happens (i.e. the Big 10 makes a move) its hard for me to see why we need another thread on the subject.

It is all about the money.

When speculating on moves it's always best to keep money in mind. Trophies do not matter. To suggest Butler would not leave the Horizon is ridiculous. I would venture to guess that SLU as a member of the A-10 received more NCAA dollars than Butler did this year. Since many conferences simply split NCAA money amongst their members it doesn't matter if you make the tourney. What matters more is how many teams from your conference make the tourney. I see Butler on the move somewhere once realignment takes place. And lastly, St. John's and Georgetown are going nowhere. The Big East is not about to turn their back on the New York and DC markets.