The Kwamain Mitchell Show

It's Kwa's world, we're just living in it!

That drive was one of the best I've seen. I was right behind that basket and couldn't believe what I saw. That camera angle doens't do the drive justice. After he beat the first guy with that amazing double move he had his arm fully extended out with the ball to shoot it around the second defender, off the glass. Pure Athleticism! After the play, they played a replay of the drive that was shot by the camera guy directly under that basket. I don't even know what happened on the other end of the court following that drive, I was too busy watching that replay.

Potentially the best recruit in the history of SLU basketball. Leadership, athleticism, maturity - the kid has it all. Watching him play is a privilege.

Like Frank C has said, the best college basketball player in the state is pretty clearly Kwamain Mitchell

Potentially the best recruit in the history of SLU basketball. Leadership, athleticism, maturity - the kid has it all. Watching him play is a privilege.

kwamain is fantastic. but he is no hughes or claggett or bonner yet.

Roy, I think Kwamain Mitchell compares favorably to Erwin Claggett, at similar points in their careers, though KM is more of a lead guard and Claggett was an off guard. I agree that he's no Larry Hughes, but KM can probably do more in his last two years than Hughes did in his year. It's hard to compare him to Anthony Bonner, since he was a forward.

i'm only pointing out that yes he is good, but the end isnt determined yet. ryan grant was one of the best billiken recruits in my days of watching but tore his knee up and was gone. we remember the potential of julian winfield who not only never came close to ever fulfilling it he left town for some little podunk location west of here.

i just prefer to wait until all is done to hand out lofty rankings.

i'm only pointing out that yes he is good, but the end isnt determined yet. ryan grant was one of the best billiken recruits in my days of watching but tore his knee up and was gone. we remember the potential of julian winfield who not only never came close to ever fulfilling it he left town for some little podunk location west of here.

i just prefer to wait until all is done to hand out lofty rankings.

Okay, but you can still be optimistic. KM's performance through his sophomore season compare's favorably to EC's through his sophomore season. Mitchell may wind up being the best of all, though I agree it's too early to declare that. And Mitchell's teams have accomplished more in his first two years than Claggett's did his first two. It's easy to remember the two NCAA Tournament runs with Waldman and easy to forget the sub-.500 seasons.

Claggett probably would have given up an organ to have guys like Willie Reed, Brian Conklin, Cody Ellis, and Cory Remekun in his frontcourt rather than Eric Bickel, Smith (can't recall his first name at the moment), and Pedersen (even though his contributions and Conklin's are widely disparate).

I'd agree. Knowing where Lisch and Liddell finished among the top scorers in the history of the program, and also knowing that they were good scorers as freshmen and sophomores, I had been comparing Kwamain's stats as a freshman and sophomore to theirs. With this topic in mind, I decided to look through my media guide from this year and see where Kwamain ranks to date with some of our all-time leading scorers through their sophomore years at SLU, or in Larry Hughes' case, his freshman year.

Kwamain Mitchell-845 through last night in 62 games for an average of 13.6 points per game, with possibly a few games left in his sophomore season.

1. Anthony Bonner-745 through sophomore year in 63 games for an average of 11.8 points per game.

2. Erwin Claggett-840 through sophomore year in 56 games for an average of 15.0 points per game.

3. Roland Gray-919 through sophomore year in 64 games for an average of 14.3 points per game.

4. Monroe Douglass-946 through sophomore year in 63 games for an average of 15.0 points per game

5. Scott Highmark-834 through sophomore year in 57 games for an average of 14.6 points per game.

6. Kevin Lisch-798 through sophomore year in 61 games for an average of 13.1 points per game.

7. Tommie Liddell-805 through sophomore year in 62 games for an average of 12.9 points per game.

Larry Hughes-670 in frosh year in 32 games for an average of 20.9 points per game.

As you can probably tell by knowing who is our all time leading scorer, and looking at this list, Anthony Bonner scored a lot of points as a junior and senior. He holds the SLU single season points scoring records for both the junior and senior seasons.

In looking at top career numbers for the top 7, only Douglass and Liddell failed to at least equal their freshman-sophomore point totals in their final two years. Neither missed it by much though; Douglass came up 15 points short, while Liddell scored 63 fewer points in his final two seasons at SLU. So, with that said, if Kwamain were to match his point total to date (remember he has 1-5 games left), he would finish with 1,690 points, which would put him 6th all time, 3 points ahead of Kevin Lisch and 13 behind Scott Highmark.

an advantage that kwamain will have as did bonner, claggett, highmark, douglas and gray, is he will have the advantage of extra games via deep runs likely in the conference tourneys and post season games.