CBI Quarterfinals

Pistol

http://www.gazellegroup.com/events/cbi/cbi10_bracket.pdf

So if I'm reading this right, we've got another home game. This time it will be the winner of Akron-UWGB tonight in Akron. I don't know much about either of these teams- who would we rather see?

Also, now that GW lost to VCU, who gets the home floor on that side of the bracket? It looks like GW was supposed to have it for the first two rounds, but I can't imagine the VCU vs. EKU/Charleston game would still be played at GW.

6 CBI games tonight, it will be interesting to see how these brackets shake out.

http://www.gazellegroup.com/events/cbi/cbi10_bracket.pdf

So if I'm reading this right, we've got another home game. This time it will be the winner of Akron-UWGB tonight in Akron. I don't know much about either of these teams- who would we rather see?

Also, now that GW lost to VCU, who gets the home floor on that side of the bracket? It looks like GW was supposed to have it for the first two rounds, but I can't imagine the VCU vs. EKU/Charleston game would still be played at GW.

6 CBI games tonight, it will be interesting to see how these brackets shake out.

Let's go Charleston. I would love to see a Cremmins/Majerus final on our side of the bracket. Purely selfish since I play golf w/ a lot of Cougar fans who are always telling me how they'd kick SLU's a**.

Virginia Commonwealth is tough! I bet on them a few times this year, so I watched a couple of their games online...I'm pretty sure we will be welcoming them to the 'Fetz...The Colonial Athletic Association is almost as tough as the A-10

Think we do. Ticket article on the SLU website.

Yup, it sounds like we get home court throughout. I believe the CBI is run similarly to the NIT. The higher seed has the home court advantage. So I assume that would pertain for the GW side of the bracket. I'm guessing the lowest seeds can assume they do not get a home game ever, but other teams probably have to have contingency plans in place in case of upsets...but just a guess.

I thought I heard that we have home court throughout.

Could be. The brackets just don't spell it out past the first two rounds.

I did a little quick and dirty homework on GB and Akron:

Looks like all of UWGB's points come from the guards: Fletcher (16.1), Perine (13.8), and Cotton (11.8), with Perine running the point (4.8 APG). I like that, as we would have Mitchell, Cassity, and Salecich on these guys. The only guy putting up numbers down low is Berry, with 8 and 8 a game. He's a senior, as is Cotton, and the other two are juniors. They're a fairly low-scoring team, averaging 68.6 for and 66.9 against on average. They shoot free throws well as a team, and Cotton appears to be the biggest threat from downtown, 89/218 on the season (41%). Coach Tod Kowalczyk has been there 8 years and has a winning record, and was a Marquette assistant before that. They started out 9-2 this season, with the losses vs. UAB and Long Beach State. Beat Kent State in OT, and the big shocker, they beat Wisconsin in OT. They followed that up by losing 3 of their first 4, and 4 of 6, in conference. Smashed by Butler twice; finished third in conference at 11-7. 8-6 on the road, and the game is in Akron tonight.

The Zips look like the more dangerous team at 24-10 on the season, 12-4 in the MAC, for a second-place finish to Kent State. Wins over Drake, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Ohio twice, and common opponent Bowling Green twice. Lost to Rhode Island by 5, VCU, Texas A&M, NC State, Austin Peay, and the rest were in conference. Average 70.8 a game and give up 65.4 a game. 13-4 at home, 7-4 on the road. Scoring is inverse from GB in that the top 3 are forwards: Conyers (10.1), B. McKnight (10.1), and C. McKnight (9.5). 4 more guys average between 6.9 and 8.5, so they really spread it out and might be a tricky scouting assignment for that reason. Excellent rebounding team, which doesn't bode well for our skinny bigs (Conk better show up). The big scorers and rebounders are also the seniors and juniors on the squad. The guards seem young and mediocre, so we'll have a big advantage with Mitchell. Not a great three-point shooting team (.335), and a guy named McNees shoots the most (8.3 PPG). Not a great FT team either, at .658 as a team. The bigs shoot them pretty well, though. They lost their last game to Ohio in OT, which is why the Bobcats are in the Tournament and the Zips are here.

Verdict: I'm pulling for a UWGB upset tonight and would rather see them come to Chaifetz.

Did I do all right? Does anyone know more than I can pull out of the stats?

I thought I heard that we have home court throughout.

From what I understand we get homecourt throughout the regular tournament.... but when we make it to the best of three finals the first game of the series is played at the opposing team's court. That's the only scenario where we could play away, from what I understand.

Could be. The brackets just don't spell it out past the first two rounds.

I did a little quick and dirty homework on GB and Akron:

Looks like all of UWGB's points come from the guards: Fletcher (16.1), Perine (13.8), and Cotton (11.8), with Perine running the point (4.8 APG). I like that, as we would have Mitchell, Cassity, and Salecich on these guys. The only guy putting up numbers down low is Berry, with 8 and 8 a game. He's a senior, as is Cotton, and the other two are juniors. They're a fairly low-scoring team, averaging 68.6 for and 66.9 against on average. They shoot free throws well as a team, and Cotton appears to be the biggest threat from downtown, 89/218 on the season (41%). Coach Tod Kowalczyk has been there 8 years and has a winning record, and was a Marquette assistant before that. They started out 9-2 this season, with the losses vs. UAB and Long Beach State. Beat Kent State in OT, and the big shocker, they beat Wisconsin in OT. They followed that up by losing 3 of their first 4, and 4 of 6, in conference. Smashed by Butler twice; finished third in conference at 11-7. 8-6 on the road, and the game is in Akron tonight.

One interesting UWGB connection is that the athletic director, Ken Bothof, was Associate Athletic Director at SLU before he took his current position. If I figure correctly, he left SLU in 2003.

One interesting UWGB connection is that the athletic director, Ken Bothof, was Associate Athletic Director at SLU before he took his current position. If I figure correctly, he left SLU in 2003.

Just read that in Timmerman's blog.

And wow, I had totally forgotten that former Soderberg assistant Angres Thorpe is now an assistant at UWGB. Awesome guy, great to have on any staff.

Just read that in Timmerman's blog.

And wow, I had totally forgotten that former Soderberg assistant Angres Thorpe is now an assistant at UWGB. Awesome guy, great to have on any staff.

I hadn't seen Timmerman's blog, but I was thinking there was someone else up there with a SLU connection. Didn't he stick around for a year with RM?

I hadn't seen Timmerman's blog, but I was thinking there was someone else up there with a SLU connection. Didn't he stick around for a year with RM?

He did. He stayed around during the transition and Rick's first season before moving onto Green Bay. I know Cardinal Ritter standout Terry Evans was a starter for them last season and had a nice career there.