Xavier Coach Posts on X Message Board

Postcard

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball...k-to-rock-arena

From CBSSPORTSLINE:

Final thought: Most coaches insist they don't read message boards (or even newspapers and websites, in some cases) just like celebrities swear they don't read gossip magazines, but I've never believed them. So I was thrilled when I learned that Xavier coach Chris Mack posted on XavierHoops.com on Thursday night and pleaded with his fans to bring energy to the Cintas Center for Sunday's A-10 showdown with Richmond.

The post -- filed by "Coach Mack" at 8:57 p.m. -- reads as follows:

"Asking for the LOUDEST game ever in the history of the Cintas Center. You say NO students. I say NO excuse. We need our fans to be a TRUE 6th man this Sunday at 1pm. Our team needs you early. Our team needs you loud. If you're just going to come to the game to watch, give your tickets up. Heck, you can WATCH from home. I want our arena rocking!! Calling all PARTICIPANTS. This isn't a marketing ploy. This is your head coach, sitting at his home computer asking for the best fans in the country to come alive for 40 game minutes on Sunday LIKE NEVER BEFORE. A-10 teams dislike coming to our incredible arena. They need to FEAR it. I know the 5 guys on the floor and our bench will play very hard for you on Sunday. We need the 10,250 in blue seats to be one big, living, breathing, loud and raucous 6th man. I want EVERYTHING you have. I want a curfew of midnight for all ticket holders. You're going to need your rest. Sunday will be the most fun you've ever had at a Xavier game. ... Wear blue. Stand. Be loud. Get it done. I realize not all Xavier fans come to message boards. That's okay. Copy and paste this and email your X friends. ... I want to win. Our players want to win. Help be the reason we win! Let's get it!!!!!"

Seriously, what's better than that?

"Our students are gone [on spring break] ... and I wanted to make sure the people who are coming are participants," Mack told me by phone late Thursday. "I want them to be excited, and I want them to want to win just as badly as the kids because it's harder for a team to win on the road when the fans are going nuts. So I want a great atmosphere because I think it'll help our kids."

After speaking about the game -- a huge game considering Xavier and Richmond are in a three-way tie with Temple for first in the A-10 -- I spent time talking to Mack about message boards in general. He said he doesn't read XavierHoops.com nearly as much as his staff, but admitted he does pop on every once in a while, mostly when Xavier director of basketball administration Mario Mercurio mentions it.

"If Mario says there's something good or funny on there, I'll go on there," Mack said. "But you just have to have thick skin and know that in today's world everybody is going to be a critic. ... It's easier to go on there when you're winning."

Because message boards are more fun with an 11-2 league record.

"That's right," Mack said with a laugh. "That's exactly right."

I just read this on CBSsportsline, and while Rickma probably can't even work the keyboard it does make one think that our assistant coaches could be reading alot of our asinine posts. You think they've told Majerus about Broy?

Guest BillikenReport

Anyone think that players look at message boards? I would think it would be hard not to, but then again I wouldn't want to read some of the stuff posted about players if it was about me.

I have been told by one of the assistant coaches that the players see the things posted here.

I have been told by one of the assistant coaches that the players see the things posted here.

I have no doubt about that. I guarantee you ever single one of them does. I hope Porter does because we love Porter. Yeah that's right Porter, we are part of your crew in 108. Go get um.

I sure hope the players understand that there are a bunch of idiots who are not Bills fans who post here and yet pretend to be fans and then rip the players and coaches, etc. They probably do understand that to be the case but it would be terrible if they thought those folks were real Bills fans!

I sure hope the players understand that there are a bunch of idiots who are not Bills fans who post here and yet pretend to be fans and then rip the players and coaches, etc. They probably do understand that to be the case but it would be terrible if they thought those folks were real Bills fans!

Billikan, these kids are smart. They know. Just like we know. It doesn't take long to recognize when a poster has an agenda other than the support of Billiken basketball.

Anyone think that players look at message boards? I would think it would be hard not to, but then again I wouldn't want to read some of the stuff posted about players if it was about me.

my roommate saw a player on billikens.com while working in a computer lab over in the bschool. i won't say which one, in order to keep him out of trouble.

Also of note about Xavier Coach Chris Mack:

I was visiting my best friend from high school at Xavier the same weekend they trashed Dayton on ESPN. After the game Coach Mack showed up at Dana's which is Xavier's bar, a combination ofHumphrey's/Laclede's, where he was given a free pitcher of beer that he then chugged as the bar chanted "Miller Sucks!" as a slight to their former coach Sean Miller who left for more money at Arizona.

Mack gained lots of respect from me for that. Not only for chugging a pitcher, but also just showing up to hang out with the rowdy students and fans. Also of note, the tipoff of that game was 10 am. So this was happening just after noon.

I guess it's to be expected. This internet thing has affected the way nearly all of us live. So the players and their families, the coaches, the athletic department, and members of the media are monitoring what gets posted here, and possibly even contributing in some way or another. It might not be the best thing, but once the horse is out of the barn there's not much sense in closing the door.

DON'T CHANGE. Don't change the way you post as fans. This board is by fans for fans. Don't change your style just because players and/or coaches may be reading. On the other hand, this notion of the team being exposed to our content will make me consider more carefully what's here as I moderate — but I'm not planning on making any drastic changes, either.

My feeling, though, and Steve probably agrees, is that we want to be careful not to allow someone to PRETEND to be a coach or player and post on here using the name of a coach or player. Yes, Coach Mack of Xavier posted on Xavier's board, but I like how the CBS Sportsline writer checked with the coach to verify that it was him. It's too easy for any yahoo to register "coach_moser" and start posting as him when it's really not. That's what we want to be careful of. DARN THE ANONYMITY OF THE INTERNET! And it's not like we have press credentials to easily get in touch with the basketball department.

Also of note about Xavier Coach Chris Mack:

I was visiting my best friend from high school at Xavier the same weekend they trashed Dayton on ESPN. After the game Coach Mack showed up at Dana's which is Xavier's bar, a combination ofHumphrey's/Laclede's, where he was given a free pitcher of beer that he then chugged as the bar chanted "Miller Sucks!" as a slight to their former coach Sean Miller who left for more money at Arizona.

Mack gained lots of respect from me for that. Not only for chugging a pitcher, but also just showing up to hang out with the rowdy students and fans. Also of note, the tipoff of that game was 10 am. So this was happening just after noon.

Absolutely awesome...haha

Well, to any current Bill's player reading this board, we love what you guys have done this year and will do in the future. Each and every one of you have given us thrills and pride for the way you've played. Keep it up, please. And while we think you'll have a great season this year... you'll have a better one next season (we're patient). And by the way if Mr. Loe from NZ is happening to take a trip on here once in a while, COME TO ST. LOUIS U! You will learn under RM (that's coach Majerus), you'll be loved, and you'll love the toasted raviolis (a ST. LOUIS delicacy).

ps... to any former Bills' players reading this board... you were appreciated as well.

I know for a fact almost all of them read this board.

I find it interesting that Coach Mack posted on the Xavier Board and asked for a rowdy and loud crowd. I think it directly speaks to SLU and how well we did and how loud we got for the Xavier game. Coach Mack experiences the SLU Blizzard and realizes that it almost cost him a win and then goes and tells his fans to come out and be loud.

Opposing players and coaches are affected by a loud and crazy crowd. Great job SLU fans!

I find it interesting that Coach Mack posted on the Xavier Board and asked for a rowdy and loud crowd. I think it directly speaks to SLU and how well we did and how loud we got for the Xavier game. Coach Mack experiences the SLU Blizzard and realizes that it almost cost him a win and then goes and tells his fans to come out and be loud.

Opposing players and coaches are affected by a loud and crazy crowd. Great job SLU fans!

I also love how after the game Jordan Crawford said "that was our biggest win of the year"

as to posting on the board...i doubt it

but i was at the library tonight and talked to porter moser who was there... highlights:

-he came to the library cause of all the SLU love there. ...very respectable man.

- i told him i was a student season ticket holder....he thanked me for the support

- he promised he would teach the ball players as best he could and the players would give the hardest effort every game and make my tickets worth it

- i told him i couldnt make the last 5 conference games because i play lacrosse for slu(club). he wished me the best of luck and said he wish i could make it but love the support me and the rest of the students have for the team...

overall: it was coach talk and i could not have been more appreciative of the time he gave me. great to see him out and giving love to any fan that would recognize him. stand up guy....he made me believe more in the team...