Majerus on KTRS Last night

TheBand

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

See, he could have phrased it like this. Good interview. Said some very nice things about the school and said he'd rather talk ball but people keep leading him to the A10 conversation, which has been my experience with him, as well.

I'm editing as I listen.. He also pimps out the Dayton game, invites everyone to come out and see the game. I invite you all to listen to that; it's at the beginning of the second clip. Also glows about his team.

Was asked about the expansion of the NCAA. He says no, that if the system isn't broke, which it's not, then don't fix it. It's all about working really hard to get there and fighting for something you want.

Crazy how people keep leading him to that discussion.

Rick Majerus gave a good interview to Mike Claiborne on 550 KTRS last night. Majerus did not sound like a coach that wants to leave. He noted he is being led into these conference discussions. When I hear Majerus actually speaking, I like much (but not all) of what he has to say. He was pumping up the team, trying to beat the drum for fan support and attendance for Saturday's big home game against Dayton.

The motives of elements of the St. Louis media, many of whom are Mizzou grads/supporters/apologists with an agenda to suppress SLU, are fair game to question. Other media types are courted heavily by the St. Louis based Missouri Valley Conference, another adversary of St. Louis U., which competes with SLU for media attention and whose schools recruit in SLU's backyard. And don't listen to the rubbish coming from MVC fans re not wanting SLU. There is no question that the Missouri Valley Conference would covet having St. Louis U. as a member. It would elevate that mid-major league on multiple levels, nonetheleast of which would be in academics.

When you come from St. Louis U., like us, you become conditioned to think that doom is imminent re Billiken Basketball. Why? Because we've been disappointed and burned so many times, really since the early 1970's. We've been close to completely turning the corner in the right direction with Rich Grawer, with Charlie Spoonhour, and now with Rick Majerus.

Frankly, this young team is exciting and has the potential to take SLU to places it hasn't been in over 5 decades. We need to keep the faith. Rick Majerus may be controversial, but he is getting the job done.

Rick Majerus gave a good interview to Mike Claiborne on 550 KTRS last night. Majerus did not sound like a coach that wants to leave. He noted he is being led into these conference discussions. When I hear Majerus actually speaking, I like much (but not all) of what he has to say. He was pumping up the team, trying to beat the drum for fan support and attendance for Saturday's big home game against Dayton.

The motives of elements of the St. Louis media, many of whom are Mizzou grads/supporters/apologists with an agenda to suppress SLU, are fair game to question. Other media types are courted heavily by the St. Louis based Missouri Valley Conference, another adversary of St. Louis U., which competes with SLU for media attention and whose schools recruit in SLU's backyard. And don't listen to the rubbish coming from MVC fans re not wanting SLU. There is no question that the Missouri Valley Conference would covet having St. Louis U. as a member. It would elevate that mid-major league on multiple levels, nonetheleast of which would be in academics.

When you come from St. Louis U., like us, you become conditioned to think that doom is imminent re Billiken Basketball. Why? Because we've been disappointed and burned so many times, really since the early 1970's. We've been close to completely turning the corner in the right direction with Rich Grawer, with Charlie Spoonhour, and now with Rick Majerus.

Frankly, this young team is exciting and has the potential to take SLU to places it hasn't been in over 5 decades. We need to keep the faith. Rick Majerus may be controversial, but he is getting the job done.

-ok, i admit i have not listened to the interview, so disregard if you must, but i call ###### on rick being led into these conf discussions

-i will listen tonight and see

-ok, i admit i have not listened to the interview, so disregard if you must, but i call ###### on rick being led into these conf discussions

Prior to being asked a question, RM expressed his dissatisfaction with being stuck in Philly for 7 days. RM greased the skid for the conference discussion.

RM is also too smart and savvy to be led into a discussion he didn't want to have.

Majerus talked about a lot of different things after the LaSalle game. The guy who wrote the story for the Post could have written a lot if differented things, but he clinged to the part about the A-10. We all know Majerus is going to be candid when asked a question, but frankly the story that was presented was old news. The stuff about the conference has already been discussed previously by Majerus. I am pretty certain that if our normal beat writer was covering the game, that conference affiliation angle would not have been the focus of the story.

-B oy, this filter is set at a very sensitive level

-U nder normal circumstances

-L etting this go

-L ooks to be a

-S harp thing to do

-H owever

-I have never been accused of

-T hat

Perhaps. I don't know Majerus. He made a similar comment re being led in the WGN Radio interview when he was asked about his comments at the Hillary rally.

But my gut feeling is that Majerus would rather have SLU be in the Big East. One basis for that is when Majerus was asked if SLU's travel issues would be similar in the Big East, he responded that SLU would be flying charter in the Big East.

I wish we could get audio of Kim Tucci's call into KFNS last night. He reportedly mentioned former SLU AD Doug Woolard, who steered SLU into the A-10, left and became the AD at South Florida, which was invited into the Big East.

To me the A-10 is a tweener, between the Big East and the Missouri Valley. Majerus' recent comments (sans last night's interview on KTRS) could be interpreted as him saying that if SLU will not make the commitment to be big time (as in the chartered flights), then SLU should be in the MVC. Perhaps, the Coach is trying to push SLU forward.

The contra school of thought is that Majerus thinks he could dominate the MVC. I do not think that would happen.

Stay tuned, as I'm sure SLU is tuned, as the conference dominoes are about to start falling again. The Pac-10 is expanding by two teams, the Big Ten is adding one team. And a poster on the Dayton board (udpride.com) quotes a source, Rumors on Hoops, that Pitt will announce its move into the Big Ten. If that happens, then a spot opens in the Big East, although the Big East would probably want to fill that spot with a football school.

To me the A-10 is a tweener, between the Big East and the Missouri Valley. Majerus' recent comments (sans last night's interview on KTRS) could be interpreted as him saying that if SLU will not make the commitment to be big time (as in the chartered flights), then SLU should be in the MVC. Perhaps, the Coach is trying to push SLU forward.

I have been told by Coach several times that he thinks SLU should have gone into the Big East when it had the chance, so that would not surprise me if your assessment aligns with his. And, in any case, the AD has made it clear that we are in the A10 to grow and be ready to jump into a BCS conference when the splits happen. Again, old news.

I have been told by Coach several times that he thinks SLU should have gone into the Big East when it had the chance, so that would not surprise me if your assessment aligns with his. And, in any case, the AD has made it clear that we are in the A10 to grow and be ready to jump into a BCS conference when the splits happen. Again, old news.

I don't think we ever were invited to that party. We'd discussed w/ Marquette, DePaul, and Charlotte about all sticking together after UL and UC departed CUSA, but as soon as the BE knocked on MU's and RuPaul's doors Charlotte and SLU were left searching for a new home. Sometimes I think we'd have been wiser to stay in CUSA, but sure do like what the A-10 offers in terms of competition. Now if they'd just nail down a decent TV deal.

I was told by a Jesuit priest from an East Coast school, who was in the know re SLU, that the A-10 would not be big enough for SLU, citing TV. When I asked where he thought SLU should be, he thought about it and ultimately said the Big East.

I'd love to get my hands on some of those Bay Area hallucinogenics. They apparently do wonders.

I was told by a Jesuit priest from an East Coast school, who was in the know re SLU, that the A-10 would not be big enough for SLU, citing TV. When I asked where he thought SLU should be, he thought about it and ultimately said the Big East.

Well now, the experts have spoken. We can put this issue to be.

someone needs to clue majerus in that slu never had a chance to go into the big east.

I'd love to get my hands on some of those Bay Area hallucinogenics. They apparently do wonders.

Well now, the experts have spoken. We can put this issue to be.

Postcard, I've read some of your posts in the past. Exactly whose side are you on? I think we all know that answer.

Re the Jesuit priest, with all due respect, I'm confident that he knows much more than you do about the inner workings in DuBourg Hall, and I do not feel that I'm at liberty to say more on that subject.

Agreed. Not unless they were going to 18 teams. I think Memphis would have been added well before us.

Speculation re the dominoes has Colorado headed to the Pac-10, Arkansas moving to the Big 12, and Memphis replacing Arkansas in the SEC. Meanwhile, Pitt goes to the Big 10, opening a spot in the Big East.

Dare we dream there? If SLU only had football ...

Charlotte is adding football, but unless something has changed, first at the FCS (D1-AA Level). Still perhaps Charlotte would return to C-USA, replacing Memphis.

Postcard, I've read some of your posts in the past. Exactly whose side are you on? I think we all know that answer.

Re the Jesuit priest, with all due respect, I'm confident that he knows much more than you do about the inner workings in DuBourg Hall, and I do not feel that I'm at liberty to say more on that subject.

I'm on the nondelusional side. I don't feel that every boogieman or newspaper is out to get SLU.

Would SLU like to be in the Big East? Yes. Will they be? No. I don't care what the priest said. He knows nothing more than the rest of us. Keep taking those drugs. They make everything better.

I'm on the nondelusional side. I don't feel that every boogieman or newspaper is out to get SLU.

Would SLU like to be in the Big East? Yes. Will they be? No. I don't care what the priest said. He knows nothing more than the rest of us. Keep taking those drugs. They make everything better.

Delusions? Stereotypes, perhaps?

See, the Bay Area is really a big place, over 5 million people, and not all of us are on chemicals.

As for the media, it was Randy Karraker who said that SLU should be in the Valley, as in the Ohio Valley. What was that given that it was coming from a member of the St. Louis Media on a St. Louis Area radio station? That was just about as low as it could get- nearly akin to that Mizzou fan at the old Hearnes Center with that sign shown on St. Louis TV: "St. Louis U In Division 2."

Delusions? Stereotypes, perhaps? See, the Bay Area is really a big place, over 5 million people, and not all of us are on chemicals.

As for the media, it was Randy Karraker who said that SLU should be in the Valley, as in the Ohio Valley. What was that given that it was coming from a member of the St. Louis Media on a St. Louis Area radio station? That was just about as low as it could get- nearly akin to that Mizzou fan at the old Hearnes Center with that sign shown on St. Louis TV: "St. Louis U In Division 2."

Delusions? Stereotypes, perhaps? See, the Bay Area is really a big place, over 5 million people, and not all of us are on chemicals.

That's the same guy who earlier this week said the Mizzou - Kansas game should get the same coverage and have the same type of hoopla on ESPN as Duke - UNC. Talk about delusional. :lol: