Dayton Daily News writer doesn't think the A10 is good fit for Dayton

brianstl

Reading the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette blog, following last week's comments from the coach, my conclusion is that this latest firestorm is primarily about the chartered flights.

Does anyone close to the SLU scene know the situation, what really happened, from the beginning to today, re chartered flights?

Is any of this being addressed at SLU?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The A-10 is the best option right now for the Bills--by far. Barring some imaginary conference the A-10 is where we need to stay. Yes there are issues with the conference for sure, but it is WAY better than the Valley.

Rivals.com did their braket predictions and FIVE A-10 are on the list. How many Valley teams you ask? One. The mandated conference champ.

I do feel that MUCH more needs to be done from a marketing standpoint with the A-10. The conference had some excellent wins this year--the national press ahs picked up on it a bit.

The A-10 is basically the best 1 or 2 non-big Six basketball conferences in the country. I feel they need to market themselves as such. THE basketball conference. It would make recruiting a bit more easy--the star baksetball players at these schools are the school heros--because most of the schools don't have football. It was just a random on the fly thought, but you get the idea of where I am going. There needs to be more marketing of the A-10. Heck most people here in St Louis had never heard of Richmond and still don't realize that Mizzou lost to them and that we beat them. I took some friends to the Fordham game and they had never heard of them--neither did I for that matter until a few years ago--same can be said for several of the conference teams. Agian, there needs to be more effort made to get the word out about how good of a BASKETBALL conference the A-10 is. Obviously what will help the most is improvements to some of the schools' prgrams. It is really a divided conference with really good teams at the top with good facilities and really bad teams at the bottom with really bad facilities.

SLU needs to be on TV more. Channel 11 should carry all of theri games. Winning will hopefully bring that soon.

As far as SLU's travle schedule goes--tough. Deal with it. It is part of the job. I understand Rick wants it to be better, but take a look at teams out west--RM should know, they travel just as far geographically as we do to go to their conference games. They might get charted flights, I don't know, I do understand his position on this, but he needs to not make it public. It seems like whining, or even bad mouthing your own conference. Neither is helpful.

BTW RI is one of the teams doing right by themselves and the conference. If the rest of the programs were at that level, I don't think the trvel thing would be nearly as big of an issue.

Reading the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette blog, following last week's comments from the coach, my conclusion is that this latest firestorm is primarily about the chartered flights.

Does anyone close to the SLU scene know the situation, what really happened, from the beginning to today, re chartered flights?

Is any of this being addressed at SLU?

The best story so far appears, and I say appears b/c I lack inside knowledge, from Billikan who says, and seems logical and plausible, that SLU made its travel plans early on. Some were to be charter and some to be commercial. Does not sound like a charter flight got canceled though I'm still not clear why the team made it to the game and our broadcast team nearly missed the game.

Instead, it sounds like RM may have tried to change the commercial flight to a charter and the request was denied. As Billiken mentioned, it does not seem plausible that SLU, only a week ago, realized that the team must travel, called the charter company and then called around with the airlines to try and put this game's travel plans together. Seems to me, that travel plans were, and have been what they are, for awhile now. Also seems like RM became irritated when the team actually went to travel commercial.

Again, it's easy to say, "suck it up Rick." At the same time, our program is RM. Chris May remains an unknown. SLU has yet to win. SLU is not a Top whatever program. SLU has no winning tradition. SLU continues to have the same Fr. Biondi who was not real supportive of our prior coaches and who has been at the helm now for 23 years. Fr. Biondi bungled the firing of Brad but made up for it by getting RM. RM is here, we're finally getting close and now Fr. Biondi appears to be going cheep again. The cost of charter flights v. commercial cannot be all that great in the whole scheme of things - especially when the school is not footing the full price for RM in the first place.

Where's Chaifetz and Novelly? Why not put the aviation school to work?

I question why the A10 has zero presence here in St. Louis (no radio, TV, newspaper mention of anything conference related)...

Well, let's consider the fact that you're playing a group of schools based on the East Coast despite the fact that you live in a Midwestern city in a Midwestern state and have two considerably larger Midwestern schools playing big-time basketball (and football) against other Midwestern schools in major Midwestern conferences.

Did I use the word "Midwestern" too much?

I mean, honestly, you think the rest of the population of the St. Louis area who aren't SLU alums or fans give a rip about what's going on in Richmond or Amhurst or Fordham or Charlotte? THAT'S why there's no A-10 coverage in the Post-Dispatch or whatever.

Yes - I am a Rhode Island fan. Yes we had some success under Harrick and he has proven to be a sleaze. He had a great season reaching the Elite-8 one year at URI with his predecessors players. Harrick was at URI for all of two seasons, less time than RM has been at SLU. Rhody won NCAA games under the two coaches before him and even went to the Sweet-16. URI's success was not all Harrick and his big misdeeds were done elsewhere.

You presently have a coach that seems to have many character flaws. The stories that have been written about him portray a very disturbed individual. Your school has even recently been involved with recruiting bank robbers. All of what I have read seems to be counter to the mission of a Catholic school. I would suggest you refrain from casting stones at others given your circumstances.

Again - petition your school administration to get out of the A-10. You will not be missed. Go as fast as is possible.

Continue to celebrate your successes with Jim Harrick. You haven't done very much since he left.

Well, let's consider the fact that you're playing a group of schools based on the East Coast despite the fact that you live in a Midwestern city in a Midwestern state and have two considerably larger Midwestern schools playing big-time basketball (and football) against other Midwestern schools in major Midwestern conferences.

Did I use the word "Midwestern" too much?

I mean, honestly, you think the rest of the population of the St. Louis area who aren't SLU alums or fans give a rip about what's going on in Richmond or Amhurst or Fordham or Charlotte? THAT'S why there's no A-10 coverage in the Post-Dispatch or whatever.

Not asking for front page updates on the A10. Not asking for even a weekly A10 radio ro TV show. Instead, I would prefer legitmate coverage of SLU which does has many fans and interest here in town. At a minimum, little to no coverage of SLU having beat Richmond, the same team that Mizzou lost to. Also tired of personal stories of Kim English and now Keith Ramsey when the biggest story is Cody Ellis - a Freshman from Austrailia who got screwed by the NCAA and now, w/o practice and first half of season, is putting up 13 ppg.

The best story so far appears, and I say appears b/c I lack inside knowledge, from Billikan who says, and seems logical and plausible, that SLU made its travel plans early on. Some were to be charter and some to be commercial. Does not sound like a charter flight got canceled though I'm still not clear why the team made it to the game and our broadcast team nearly missed the game.

Instead, it sounds like RM may have tried to change the commercial flight to a charter and the request was denied. As Billiken mentioned, it does not seem plausible that SLU, only a week ago, realized that the team must travel, called the charter company and then called around with the airlines to try and put this game's travel plans together. Seems to me, that travel plans were, and have been what they are, for awhile now. Also seems like RM became irritated when the team actually went to travel commercial.

Again, it's easy to say, "suck it up Rick." At the same time, our program is RM. Chris May remains an unknown. SLU has yet to win. SLU is not a Top whatever program. SLU has no winning tradition. SLU continues to have the same Fr. Biondi who was not real supportive of our prior coaches and who has been at the helm now for 23 years. Fr. Biondi bungled the firing of Brad but made up for it by getting RM. RM is here, we're finally getting close and now Fr. Biondi appears to be going cheep again. The cost of charter flights v. commercial cannot be all that great in the whole scheme of things - especially when the school is not footing the full price for RM in the first place.

Where's Chaifetz and Novelly? Why not put the aviation school to work?

Biondi fired Brad knowing that RM was willing to take the job. If you're happy with RM, you can't really say that it was "bungled" IMO.

Biondi fired Brad knowing that RM was willing to take the job. If you're happy with RM, you can't really say that it was "bungled" IMO.

Sure it was bungled. First, I don't believe we had RM for sure as you suggest. Instead, we had a good chance at getting RM, and to Fr. B's credit, we got him. Still, Brad was not fired right after the season like most coaches are. A first class program would have negotiated the details and all but signed the contract prior to letting Brad go if they wait so long. Instead, we waited so long and then began negotiating with RM.

Also, the firing was bungled by not including Cheryl Levick, the AD and Brad's boss, in the decision. Fine, Fr. Biondi ultimately makes the decision, but Fr. Biondi could have (and should have) called CL in and told her what he was doing. Fr. could have, and should have, brought both in and told both that they were being let go, or, that Brad was being let go and that CL should start looking elsewhere. Instead, CL was as stunned as Brad and CL was publicly embarrassed. CL deserved better. Same end result? Yes. But there is a proper way to do things.

Sure it was bungled. First, I don't believe we had RM for sure as you suggest. Instead, we had a good chance at getting RM, and to Fr. B's credit, we got him. Still, Brad was not fired right after the season like most coaches are. A first class program would have negotiated the details and all but signed the contract prior to letting Brad go if they wait so long. Instead, we waited so long and then began negotiating with RM.

Also, the firing was bungled by not including Cheryl Levick, the AD and Brad's boss, in the decision. Fine, Fr. Biondi ultimately makes the decision, but Fr. Biondi could have (and should have) called CL in and told her what he was doing. Fr. could have, and should have, brought both in and told both that they were being let go, or, that Brad was being let go and that CL should start looking elsewhere. Instead, CL was as stunned as Brad and CL was publicly embarrassed. CL deserved better. Same end result? Yes. But there is a proper way to do things.

Timing was obvioulsy bad. Biondi didn't know RM was interested until after Dana Altman quit and returned to Creighton (April 2-3 timeframe). Once the wheels got moving, Brad was canned on 4/17 and RM was in place by about 4/26. Not only was the timing bad, Levick was cut out of the process after trying to hype the results after Brad's last year. Was the process tacky? Absolutely. However, IMO that's the only way the would have gotten RM. Hence, if you're happy with RM you have to accept the fact that Biondi brought him in the only way it could have happened at that time.

Timing was obvioulsy bad. Biondi didn't know RM was interested until after Dana Altman quit and returned to Creighton (April 2-3 timeframe). Once the wheels got moving, Brad was canned on 4/17 and RM was in place by about 4/26. Not only was the timing bad, Levick was cut out of the process after trying to hype the results after Brad's last year. Was the process tacky? Absolutely. However, IMO that's the only way the would have gotten RM. Hence, if you're happy with RM you have to accept the fact that Biondi brought him in the only way it could have happened at that time.

Fr. B got RM to sign and be our coach. Still, it was a roller coaster ride and RM has not a sure thing on April 17th. Maybe that was the best, and only way to get RM, I don't have the inside details. Fr. B, though, came across quite smug and appeared not in control. Hard to separate Brad from CL. Whether or not CL agreed with Fr. B, there was no reason CL should have found out about Brad the way she did. It is one thing that Fr. B usurped the power of CL. It is another thing that embarassed her. CL did a great job for us. She left a good position on the West Coast to return "home" here to St. Louis and she was embarrassed. I presume she offended Dr. Chaifetz, or that Chaifetz and/or Novelly did not want her involved, and I understand that.... still she did not need to be embarrassed.

Fr. B got RM to sign and be our coach. Still, it was a roller coaster ride and RM has not a sure thing on April 17th. Maybe that was the best, and only way to get RM, I don't have the inside details. Fr. B, though, came across quite smug and appeared not in control. Hard to separate Brad from CL. Whether or not CL agreed with Fr. B, there was no reason CL should have found out about Brad the way she did. It is one thing that Fr. B usurped the power of CL. It is another thing that embarassed her. CL did a great job for us. She left a good position on the West Coast to return "home" here to St. Louis and she was embarrassed. I presume she offended Dr. Chaifetz, or that Chaifetz and/or Novelly did not want her involved, and I understand that.... still she did not need to be embarrassed.

I'm not saying the situation was handled in a classy manor. Far from it. You won't find me defending Biondi's behavior in most matters.

...is the Big 10 taking 1, 3 or 5 teams into their new conference? And how do the dominoes fall after that?

I take at shot at it...

The Big Ten will take one school: Missouri.

Arkansas will forego some short-term revenue and will reunite with the Texas schools in the Big 12.

Memphis will replace Arkansas in the SEC.

Troy will replace Memphis in Conference USA.

I take at shot at it...

The Big Ten will take one school: Missouri.

Arkansas will forego some short-term revenue and will reunite with the Texas schools in the Big 12.

Memphis will replace Arkansas in the SEC.

Troy will replace Memphis in Conference USA.

And in an effort to satisfy the big man's desire to play in a conference whose members are primarily in the Central timezone, SLU will replace Troy in the Sun Belt Conference.

:lol:

No Sun Belt w/o 85 football scholarships...

Speaking of football, did you notice that Cleveland State is having a student referendum on whether to start a football team? They would be in the same nonscholarship league as Butler, Valparaiso, Drake, and Dayton. If Cleveland St. jumps in, Detroit Mercy won't be far behind.

• 4 weeks later...

I get it. You don't like the A-10 or many of its programs even though most have had more success than SLU. So I say again - LEAVE. Most of the fans of other A-10 schools could care less. It is not like we would lose something special. Stop your constant whining. Petition your school to get you out. GO AS FAST AS POSSIBLE.

Do you think we are going to hear from this ###### sucking, mother ######ing piece of ###### from URI today? (just checking out the new filter)

No wonder he wants us to leave the A10 so badly. :lol: