Cody Ellis to Willie Reed

http://vimeo.com/8754348

I'm convinced Cody was passing that to Willie.

Man it is really hard to tell but I agree with you. I think the body language of Ellis is the one thing that gives it away and it looked to me like he expected that to go to Willie. He didn't look like a guy that just shot an airball.

Man it is really hard to tell but I agree with you. I think the body language of Ellis is the one thing that gives it away and it looked to me like he expected that to go to Willie. He didn't look like a guy that just shot an airball.

It might even be a play. Note how Willie was just lurking behind the backboard, even skirting the baseline, as Cody was beginning his move into the lane to draw a double-team.

It might even be a play. Note how Willie was just lurking behind the backboard, even skirting the baseline, as Cody was beginning his move into the lane to draw a double-team.

Yeah I see what you are saying...if it is a set play, I'm a huge fan! Going to be a lot of fun watching these two guys work together for the next 2 1/2 years. Willie is going to have a lot more room out there to do his thing. I can't wait till Cody starts draining his 3s...then it's pick your poison between Willie and Cody for the other team. Cody also seems like a great passer that sees the court well, and that bodes very well for Willie and his production in the paint.

Did he get an assist or a shot attempt for it?

I have no idea. When Bob Ramsey made the call, it sounded like Ellis missed a shot badly and Reed had dunk-tipped in a putback. Then I saw the play a few seconds later and thought, "That might have been a pass." Seeing the play again prompted me to register for video sharing to post the play. Now I'm working on whatever happened in the first overtime that Reed missed what appeared to be an uncontested dunk.

Yeah it was described as a missed shot, but now that I see it, the timing makes it look like it was a pass. If it was, that was a very creative play. I notice Christian likes to try that too. Must be an Aussie thing!

I think te entire clip was about a set play to get Willie the ball. If you watch closely you will see Ellis look to willie from cross court but he is covered so he work to the base line and makes the pass as he is double teamed on the shot. :P These two are going to have a lot of fun playing together. :angry:

I have no idea. When Bob Ramsey made the call, it sounded like Ellis missed a shot badly and Reed had dunk-tipped in a putback. Then I saw the play a few seconds later and thought, "That might have been a pass." Seeing the play again prompted me to register for video sharing to post the play. Now I'm working on whatever happened in the first overtime that Reed missed what appeared to be an uncontested dunk.

Thicks - what app do you use to record the video stream?

Gotta agree with you Thicks. If you look, from the beginning of the video, Willie continues to run towards the basket whenever Cody got the ball. It looks like they keep trying to run some sort of alleyoop and finally Cody just improvised.

The first couple times I watched it, I thought it was just a badly missed shot. But that ball was so far off, I'm thinking it was a pass now. It's not like he could have passed the ball to him any other way. He's probably thinking, "Big Willie's almost 7 feet tall and he's got dumps like a truck, so I'll just put it up near the rim and he'll do dunking..."

Pretty hateful if you ask me...

As much as I love Willie, I don't think he has the reaction time yet to consider that a lucky rebound. If he sees a "shot" going up, he doesn't jump that quickly -- he waits for it to hit the rim and theoretically times his jump accordingly. I think he was waiting for that ball.

As much as I love Willie, I don't think he has the reaction time yet to consider that a lucky rebound. If he sees a "shot" going up, he doesn't jump that quickly -- he waits for it to hit the rim and theoretically times his jump accordingly. I think he was waiting for that ball.

Agreed. From Willie's path it looks like he knew the ball was going to be there the whole time. Still a clutch move by Cody with two defenders nearby. Willie always seems to run back up the court faster after he scores. I wonder why... :lol:

I don't think that there is any way it was a designed play. There are just too many variables to draw that one up. My guess is that ellis missed a shot and willie putback dunked it. It looked like a clear out play designed to post up cody. Then, when the double team came, he threw up a wild hook. Luckily, it airballed instead of hitting the rim, which made it a de facto alley-oop for Willie, but I don't think it was on purpose.

I don't think that there is any way it was a designed play. There are just too many variables to draw that one up. My guess is that ellis missed a shot and willie putback dunked it. It looked like a clear out play designed to post up cody. Then, when the double team came, he threw up a wild hook. Luckily, it airballed instead of hitting the rim, which made it a de facto alley-oop for Willie, but I don't think it was on purpose.

I don't agree. In every offensive set there's flexibility for players to read and react to what the defense is doing. If the defense stays with Reed, Ellis has one-on-one.

I don't agree. In every offensive set there's flexibility for players to read and react to what the defense is doing. If the defense stays with Reed, Ellis has one-on-one.

maybe you misunderstand what im saying Thicks, I think it was a designed play to post up Cody with willie clearing out, but I dont think it was designed to say "Cody, throw a lob to Willie right here" I think it was an airball with an alert play by Willie. But same result either way.