Jon Smith

I saw the stat line, 11 pts. Did he make those mostly in mop up duty at the end? Was he shooting from the outside at all? It is really promising to see. From the only games I have seen, I think he is the most talented (highest upside) player on the team, even more than WR. Some on this board have said he cannot play the 3 spot, but I humbly disagree, he has the quickness to defend, and needs only to learn ball control skills... which mostly will come with some upper body strength. He is still at least a year away from becoming a contributor, but 11 pts is a start.

I saw the stat line, 11 pts. Did he make those mostly in mop up duty at the end? Was he shooting from the outside at all? It is really promising to see. From the only games I have seen, I think he is the most talented (highest upside) player on the team, even more than WR. Some on this board have said he cannot play the 3 spot, but I humbly disagree, he has the quickness to defend, and needs only to learn ball control skills... which mostly will come with some upper body strength. He is still at least a year away from becoming a contributor, but 11 pts is a start.

I didn't see the game, but I listened to it and I'm pretty sure he had the majority of his points in the first half. They sounded like they were close to the basket.

who is this jon smith of which you speak? i heard that our jon smif had a very solid game last night. glad he's coming around a bit. i guess there was plenty of inside play to be had since WR and BC apparently stayed home last night.

He was the only player who had a field goal inside the arc for most of the first half. Willie+Conklin+Cory<Smith

He brought it in his home state. Too bad no other players went to the game.

He has no shot. He needs to play close to the basket where he's at his best hustling rebounds and getting dunks and put backs. I only listened to part of the game, but I'd be willing to bet he didn't take a shot more than 2 feet from the basket. There's a reason he was 5 for 5. I think he has upside as a 4, but he'll never be a 3.

He has no shot. He needs to play close to the basket where he's at his best hustling rebounds and getting dunks and put backs. I only listened to part of the game, but I'd be willing to bet he didn't take a shot more than 2 feet from the basket. There's a reason he was 5 for 5. I think he has upside as a 4, but he'll never be a 3.

If a player can score in double figures getting all his points from within 2 feet why shoot from farther out. Furthermore, you don't know what he will wind up being. The front line players (JS and CR) are learning RM's system at a slower rate but seem to be progressing and improving faster than the guards. I'm basing that on results so far. Each game the two of them seem to improve. If only BC would go 5 for 5 from 2 feet out.

Interestingly enough, recruiting websites predicted Smith would be one of the most athletic players in the A10 this season. Obviusly he isn't there yet, but his upside is tremendous. He is a very raw athlete, that with time I believe can be an impact player.

smith has been one of the biggest surprise freshmen in my time at slu. while i admit he has fabulous potential because of his build and his athleticism, his lack of basketball skills and knowledge is incredible imo. it is hard to believe in this day and age of aau and all the year round basketball that he comes in so raw.

that said, he might be the perfect "clay" for rickma to work with and form something special since he has no previous basketball faults to untrain. it will be interesting to see what he picks up over a summer after a year of intense true basketball.

I really don't care if we call him a 3, 4, 7, 8 etc. if he can put the ball in the basket then get him minutes. I am so sick of scoring 40-50 points on the road, it is embarassing.

Plus he makes a mean sub for those of you who have been to Jon Smith Subs in FL.