OT: Mizzou to Big 10 interview w/Alden

TheBand

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe so, but I still say if the Big 10 wants Texas and Texas wants the Big 10 it'll happen. .... not to mention the money to be gained for both sides seems to make it something that will be considered.

Current Texas governor Rick Perry is an A&M grad. I'm sure he'd like to throw cold water on something like that! :P

and you have some kind of inside knowledge that would enable you to call people who have more info than you an idiot?

It doesn't take more information to know Texas isn't going to the Big 10. The Big 10 isn't going to change their rules for one school, and ANYONE who believes they will is an idiot.

And, I'll bet I have a lot more knowledge about this than most people do.

As far as schools joining the big east are concerned (if Rutgers, Syracuse, or Pitt go to the Big 10) I have heard ECU, Memphis, and UCF as possible options. It seems as though ECU would be the front runner though.

I have also heard that the Big 10 may look to add 3 teams instead of just 1, which could really shake things up among other conferences.

A lot of people also believe that if the Big 10 expands and adds a Championship game for football, that the Pac 10 will try to do so too.

It doesn't take more information to know Texas isn't going to the Big 10. The Big 10 isn't going to change their rules for one school, and ANYONE who believes they will is an idiot.

And, I'll bet I have a lot more knowledge about this than most people do.

If you say so. I'm sure you have a considerable amount of knowledge, at least I'm sure you believe you do.

I've not heard of Texas as an option for the Big 10 before you started mentioning them in every post. Do you get some kind of finders fee if they move? Texas will never move to the Big 10. I can guarantee that.

Texas won't move without Texas A & M moving with them. Like Broy said, the BCS schools are headed to four 16-team super conferences

for a football playoff. The Big 10 is already thinking this way with a conference championship game and the Pac 10 will be forced to follow. Like it or not, it's all about football. Another likely combination will be the ACC & Big East football members which may bode well for SLU's perceived BB only Papal conference.

Also, Forbes has in recent years begun doing their own college rating system(CCAP) like USNWR because of their perceived flaws in USNWR. The link is below.

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2008/0519/030_4.html

The list is for national public universities but, if you scroll down, below info there's a link for a complete list. Now, I happen to like Forbes' list better. Do I believe it? the point is, as others have stated, these lists are BS. They are SUBJECTIVE and pointed to get a specific result. SLU fans can't be happy with their high tuition cost yet still being ranked below others at one half or a third of the cost.

I think he had to go back to get his degree. I don't know that I'd use an NFL mental capacity test to determine if someone should have a degree or not though. Add to that, one that I didn't actually know the results of.

We've had players at SLU that probably weren't the brightest kids, but they came andf worked hard and got their degree. I don't know if that somehow diminishes the worth of a degree at SLU.

Geography is a silly reason, they don't travel by horse and buggy, or even bus anymore. IF UT can bring many more dollars to the Big 10 than the next option, the money will win out over the bylaws. It always does.

I never said he should not get a degree - what I was pointing out is that if UT is such a great school then how did he get a degree from it as opposed from some place else. After all, you have to get accepted to Stanford as a student before you can sign a letter of intent - not so at UT or most places. I think the mental capacity test the NFL gives is probably as reliable as any standardized test - it is intended to measure potential and capacity to learn. His score was reported as being so low that some wondered how he stayed in school for those years. I am not trying to bash him just pointing out that if your school is such a great institution then there needs to be some kind of standards upheld or else just drop the pretense - he would never probably been accepted to UT if he did not play football as I am sure some others were also..

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/309140-...expansion-texas

I couldn't get it to link, but how about Dennis Dodd from cbssports.com or Mike DeCourcy from the Sporting News

I'm not saying it's going to happen, I don't have the great inside info the Da-Love or whatever his name is has. ;) ;)

It does however make a lot of sense for many reasons as the 2 articles linked suggest, not the least of which is the almighty dollar. I also know that there is some support for it at UT.

Footes, as I've been reading more I've read that the Texas Legislature could and possibly would attempt to block such a move. However, if it were to look like Mizzou was going to be the choice and the Big 12 was going to suffer for it, Texas would probably then look to make amove first as they aren't going to let Mizzou leave them hanging. As you suggested the Pac 10 would also be in play, but I get the sense the Big 10 is thought to be a better fit.

The question would be is there a school that could replace Mizzou without harming the Big 12? If not and Texas decided it had to leave the Big 12, and decided the Big 10 was better than the Pac 10 and asks to join the Big 10, who knows what happens. Maybe they add 3 and go to 14. If the Big 10 though was left with a choice to choose Mizzou or Texas, I doubt geography will come into play

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/309140-...expansion-texas

I couldn't get it to link, but how about Dennis Dodd from cbssports.com or Mike DeCourcy from the Sporting News

I'm not saying it's going to happen, I don't have the great inside info the Da-Love or whatever his name is has. ;) ;)

It does however make a lot of sense for many reasons as the 2 articles linked suggest, not the least of which is the almighty dollar. I also know that there is some support for it at UT.

Footes, as I've been reading more I've read that the Texas Legislature could and possibly would attempt to block such a move. However, if it were to look like Mizzou was going to be the choice and the Big 12 was going to suffer for it, Texas would probably then look to make amove first as they aren't going to let Mizzou leave them hanging. As you suggested the Pac 10 would also be in play, but I get the sense the Big 10 is thought to be a better fit.

The question would be is there a school that could replace Mizzou without harming the Big 12? If not and Texas decided it had to leave the Big 12, and decided the Big 10 was better than the Pac 10 and asks to join the Big 10, who knows what happens. Maybe they add 3 and go to 14. If the Big 10 though was left with a choice to choose Mizzou or Texas, I doubt geography will come into play

I'd hardly call a "mention" by Dennis Dodd or an opinion piece from something called the Bleacher Report to mean that much. You also keep mentioning that there is some support for this at UT. Where are you getting that information from?

I never said he should not get a degree - what I was pointing out is that if UT is such a great school then how did he get a degree from it as opposed from some place else. After all, you have to get accepted to Stanford as a student before you can sign a letter of intent - not so at UT or most places. I think the mental capacity test the NFL gives is probably as reliable as any standardized test - it is intended to measure potential and capacity to learn. His score was reported as being so low that some wondered how he stayed in school for those years. I am not trying to bash him just pointing out that if your school is such a great institution then there needs to be some kind of standards upheld or else just drop the pretense - he would never probably been accepted to UT if he did not play football as I am sure some others were also..

First of all, Texas really isn't my school. I would call SLU my school, though I don't have a degree. I'm from Texas and it's where my family calls home. I do have a family member that is a grad and was a 20 year season ticket holder. He does have the ability to and often speaks with some people that are on the inside at UT.

Next, I didn't rank UT's academics, nor did I say anything about their athletes admission standards.

I could probably get you some actual facts about Vince's degree and test scores.

We all consider SLU a good academic school, I'm sure somewhere on this board, you've said it yourself. However, there are athletes that have degrees from SLU that would make you say WTF.

There's a reason why when the story about the Big 10 wanting to add a school or more than 1 Texas wasn't even talked about. They aren't even on the Big 10's radar. And yes I do know this for a fact. Texas may want to join the Big 10, but it simply isn't going to happen. I also don't believe Mizzou will join either. I think in the end, if something does happen, it will be a Big East school.

I don't feel as though Mizzou leaving the Big 12 would hurt Texas at all. Some people believe Arkansas, TCU, or Boise State could take their spot. I feel as though either of these schools would keep the Big 12 competitive.

I agree with you on the Vince Young thing, every school has athletes like that. Look at USC they are a prime example. Heck look at our own Willie Reed.

There's a reason why when the story about the Big 10 wanting to add a school or more than 1 Texas wasn't even talked about. They aren't even on the Big 10's radar. And yes I do know this for a fact. Texas may want to join the Big 10, but it simply isn't going to happen. I also don't believe Mizzou will join either. I think in the end, if something does happen, it will be a Big East school.

I don't feel as though Mizzou leaving the Big 12 would hurt Texas at all. Some people believe Arkansas, TCU, or Boise State could take their spot. I feel as though either of these schools would keep the Big 12 competitive.

I agree with you on the Vince Young thing, every school has athletes like that. Look at USC they are a prime example. Heck look at our own Willie Reed.

The Big 10 didn't talk about anyone, they merely stated they would consider expansion. Everything else is just opinion. The Big 10 is just beginning to consider who may or may not be on their radar, I'm curious as to how you know what they don't even know themselves.

Where does a school like Memphis fit into this discussion? If the Big 10 adds UConn, would the BE want Memphis. They apparently didn't 5 years ago. If Mizzou did go the the Big 19 (which I don't see happening), would the Big 12 be interested in Memphis either? Boise State seems a better fit for the Pac 10.

I feel the same way about Boise State, but the Pac 10 expanding is a long shot at this point.

The thing that hurts a team like Memphis as far as joining the Big East goes is their lack of a solid football program. IF the Big 10 were to say grab 3 teams from the Big East, it could possibly lead to the demise of the conference. Although I don't see that happening.

Where does a school like Memphis fit into this discussion? If the Big 10 adds UConn, would the BE want Memphis. They apparently didn't 5 years ago. If Mizzou did go the the Big 19 (which I don't see happening), would the Big 12 be interested in Memphis either? Boise State seems a better fit for the Pac 10.

I have been to the campus at Boise and it looks like it is going to be one of many new options for kids who want to go to school near the real untamed

northwest and want to be around people who fish, hunt, ranch, farm with clear skies above

Memphis hired the former Big East commish to help them get into the Big East this year. Their football facilities need to be updated, basketball facilities are world class. I think they would make a big push to the BE if someone leaves. I don't think there would be mutual interest to go to the Big 12 if Missouri left. A lot of people would like TCU get added, and then move OSU up to the North Division.

There's a lot of "if's" in that. Until something happens, it's all talk. Big 10 might not even expand. Nothing has happened that would suggest to me that this time, for reals, that the Big 10 will expand. They've talked about it before and nothing happened.

First of all, Texas really isn't my school. I would call SLU my school, though I don't have a degree. I'm from Texas and it's where my family calls home. I do have a family member that is a grad and was a 20 year season ticket holder. He does have the ability to and often speaks with some people that are on the inside at UT.

Next, I didn't rank UT's academics, nor did I say anything about their athletes admission standards.

I could probably get you some actual facts about Vince's degree and test scores.

We all consider SLU a good academic school, I'm sure somewhere on this board, you've said it yourself. However, there are athletes that have degrees from SLU that would make you say WTF.

I agree with your last paragraph however, I am not sure SLU is saying they should leave the A10 because they are far superior academically from all the others in it - that was my only point. I think this academic issue as a reason to join the Big 10 for either MO or UT is just silly.

Interesting question - Memphis does not play very good football overall so that would be a big negative and since Calipari left, their basketball status is dropping so not sure what Memphis adds to the Big 10 or the Big East as a football/basketball team addition. They may still be out in the cold. Adds more credence to what Chris May said to me about the most important thing we can do is improve our basketball play if we want to be part of any conference realignments.

Interesting question - Memphis does not play very good football overall so that would be a big negative and since Calipari left, their basketball status is dropping so not sure what Memphis adds to the Big 10 or the Big East as a football/basketball team addition. They may still be out in the cold. Adds more credence to what Chris May said to me about the most important thing we can do is improve our basketball play if we want to be part of any conference realignments.

I'm sure there are more on here who have a better understanding ot the academics than I can give more insight. I doubt however, the the part of the equation to stay or go dealing with academics has anything to do with athletics.

Memphis has the best recruiting class in the nation coming in next year. Including 5 of the top 100 players, and 2 other 3 stars. Check this out: http://memphis.rivals.com/commitlist.asp?Sport=2

Studly recruiting class if there ever was one. lol