Report on the meet and greet last night-(10/28)

bauman

Give me a break. Your disdain for Majerus is obvious, and that is fine, but it is clearly clouding your judgement on our scheduling.

Majerus wants to play the best non-conference schedule he can. He says that time and time again. Unfortunately, he simply can't get other teams to do it. And neither can Chris May. We as a program don't have the juice for big-time home and homes. Yeah, we can add lower BCS teams like Georgia and Nebraska but the others simply won't do it. Him asking Biondi for some help is not shirking his job. It doesn't mean he wants Biondi to do the scheduling, he just wants some help motivating other teams to play us.

Surely, at some point in your work you have been forced to ask for assistance from a superior because someone else won't co-operate with you, no matter how hard you try. I don't consider that having someone else do my job but rather an attempt to do my job to the best it can be done.

I have to agree with Kshoe on this one.

When I attended the School of Social Work the dean was Fr Bernie Couglin. He later became president of Gonzaga U. I think he just retired but I am sure many of these Jesuit presidents passed through SLU that maybe Fr Bondi gave references for and helped out. What would be the big deal for Fr Bondi to get on the phone with one of them and say lets play a home and home.

I know this is going to set a lot of posters off but it seemed when we had Woolard as AD, we got the best schedules. Each year always a marquee game-UCLA, Arizona, Kansas, etc..

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right, at this point I am not a RM fan. I'm from Missouri and I'm waiting for RM to show me something beyond promises.

However, regarding your main point about the schedule-are you really satisfied with our home schedule? If so, good for you. However, your main point-that RM "wants to play the best non-conference schedule he can" is no where near correct. Have you never heard him discuss his scheduling principles. He defended his first two years loading up on creampuffs by saying we were not ready to play anything tougher due to the quality of our teams. If you haven't heard him talk about that aspect of the last two schedules ( and I say now make that all three years of his schedules) then you must have missed a lot of Billiken Club/MAC gatherings. I know he is always complaining about Mizzou not playing us and I agree with him, that's chicken $%!+ on their part, but no way did he want tougher non-conference schedules so far in his years at SLU. I have yet to talk to anyone who is happy with what we are paying to see this year at the Fetz. Many are patient and understanding but who is satisfied?

No, I'm not satisfied with our schedule but at least I have a good comprehension of why it is the way it is. Its because nobody decent will play us home and home. You seem to think it is by choice.

Maybe I only listen to Majerus on days that Bauman doesn't (and I listen to his radio show regularly, but no MAC meetings) but I certainly have heard him say time and time again that he wants to play good BCS teams.

Majerus wants to play the best non-conference schedule he can. He says that time and time again. Unfortunately, he simply can't get other teams to do it. And neither can Chris May. We as a program don't have the juice for big-time home and homes. Yeah, we can add lower BCS teams like Georgia and Nebraska but the others simply won't do it.

for the life of me i dont get this "pass" considering our considerably better scheduling under our previous head coaches the last 25 years.

but i'll agree not to talk about it if you agree not to bring up the lame excuse.

for the life of me i dont get this "pass" considering our considerably better scheduling under our previous head coaches the last 25 years.

but i'll agree not to talk about it if you agree not to bring up the lame excuse.

Roy, why do you think BCS schools, etc won't play us?

I just wanted to say something about student apathy. First off, I went to probably 3/4 of the home games last year and we had a descent crowd for every one. If there is something to say for the atmosphere created at home its our home record. It was pretty phenomenal last year. (contrasted with our horrifying away record) I don't think the football team thing would do all that much. There are plenty of teams who are basketball oriented with no football team and have great interest. I think if we get in the tourney in the next three years, stuff will change. Think about what makes big state schools football games the thing to do. There is tailgating and more than a sporting event, its a social event. I love the bills and I love college basketball and I will go to the games no matter what. But as soon as we start getting descent and as soon as we can get people to start wanting to have parties before and after the games, then the so so fans or even the not fans at all will come and get rowdy. And when the student section is really rowdy I think season ticket sales will go up because the random st. louis fans who didn't before have a particular allegiance will come and see the atmosphere will want to come again. Also I think once stuff like that gets started and maybe gets going for just a couple years then traditions can be started. I will be devoting my apartment Junior year to do my part in the festivities. But have faith about the student section. Its gonna be a process, but I really do believe that in 2 or three years it could be pretty sweet. It would also be cool if SLU could set aside some place for tailgating. I dont know how realistic that is but just a thought. As for blue crew, I'm not breaking new ground saying they could do a ton better. But free shirt nights have really been cool atmosphere with the blue out and white out. Also some new cheers would be good and maybe a good dosage of controlled heckling. It just takes people to go out and do it so for any current students who read, take the initiative and change the ###### that sucks right now and in a year or two things may just snowball into awesomeness.

Gee Roy, I can't possibly imagine what has changed in our situation from 91-05 and 06 and beyond. Care to take a guess?

Quick quiz, name the best home and home we have been able to start after we started playing in the A-10?

Roy, why do you think BCS schools, etc won't play us?

why do you think we had one or two every non conference schedule for years? and now we dont? and dont give me we arent good enough. we are more or less as good now as we were any average year over the last 25.

personally i dont care if we play bcs schools or not (i'd like to play one or two every year though). play more missouri valley schools or mountain west or conference usa. but dont put the likes of rockhurst on our schedules and tell us thats the best we can get. 2-3 gimmees is fine. always have done it always will. dont like it, but have resigned myself to it. but to have so many 200+ rpi teams on the schedule now is becoming embarrassing.

that said, i am glad to see the bowling green and belmont games at least that is somewhat of a step up.

Gee Roy, I can't possibly imagine what has changed in our situation from 91-05 and 06 and beyond. Care to take a guess?

Quick quiz, name the best home and home we have been able to start after we started playing in the A-10?

we played gonzaga, iowa, mississippi and north carolina in a home and away.

Ready to leave for work and thought I'd check in to see what everyone else thought about last night's event. I couldn't believe that there was nothing posted. Maybe my wife and I were the Billiken.com family members there. Here goes.

Positives:

great to finaly see the players-they are no longer members of the witness protection program;

as usual, the Band was great-mid season form-Mike even got the crowd involved;

the Saintsations (or as the big man referred to them the SLU-etts it almost sounded like he said sluts) were also very good, given the season hasn't even started yet-thanks to the young ladies and the Band for being there;

WR has gained about 20-25 lbs and BC has reduced his body fat down to 7 from 9. they have all worked hard in the weight room;

the chemistry between the players seemed very good-seems like CS is very popular with his new teammates;

Rammer did a great job as the MC and eating up some time after the player intros when it was obvious that RM was late to the event.

Not so positives:

I walked out with a real sense of disppointment over what I felt was a wasted evening. Looking back over my excitement when we hired RM, I must admit I have done a 180 since that hire. Acouple of guys were walking out just in front of us and I gotta say that one of them seemed to hit the nail on the head, to use an old guy's term. He described RM as a buffoon who probably knows a ton about the sport he coaches, but is one strange character. The buffoon tag seemed a little harsh until I looked it up this morning and it does seem to fit. Even his players were laughing at some of his comments and they were not because RM was so funny, but rather at how strange some of his comments were.

Specifics---the first question was as expected--What can you tell us about the C Ellis situation? It could have been answered thoroughly in about a minute, BUT about 7-8 minutes later, we really knew nothing about the situation and its possible resolution. Instead RM managed to fit a long rambling discourse with lots of Andre Miller talk into the reply. Before the evening was over, RM had managed to bring up Miller's name 3 times, K Van Horn, Phil Jackson, Larry Bird, J. Sloan, K Malone, J Stockton, Kobe, Jordan any other Utah or NBA players names. I just wanted to scream---WE ARE HERE TO TALK ABOUT BILLIKEN BASKETBALL, NOT THE NBA!!!!!!!!!!!!! This truly is a sick individual who cannot talk for even one minute about basketball w/o reverting in time to HIS glory days. I would estimate that he rambled for over an hour when he could have answered the questions asked in 10 minutes. The evening came to a quick halt when a fan asked BC to talk about what a RM practice was like-instead of letting Brian answer, RM quickly interjected himself and made the reply.

At the beginning of the event Rammer said that they had giveaways at least for the students and that they had a video to show. None of that happened since that couldn't get RM to shut up. A staff member even got Bob to move over close to RM to try to get him off stage and move along to the other planned activities, but with no luck.

The main positive I took home with me was the knowledge that I had wasted my last night going to an event where RM was going to talk. If this sounds too negative for some of you, I'm sorry but the night, overall, was a bust in spite of what seemed to be some excellent plans on the part of the Ath. Dept staff.

One final complaint- the sound system was horrible as was RM's ability to speak into the mike so as to be heard. For some reason the speakers kept cutting out, but especially when the big man was rambling. I could only hear him at all times since I was in the second row right in front of the podium.

I agree with you on Majerus, he is probably a good recruiter but he lacks character. Not the kind of guy I would want to be playing for or having a son play for! I have dropped my season tickets because of Majerus.

we played gonzaga, iowa, mississippi and north carolina in a home and away.

Gonzaga was scheduled while we were still apart of CUSA and UNC was scheduled because of Hansborough.

Not much difference between IOwa and Mississippi and Georgia and Nebraska.

why do you think we had one or two every non conference schedule for years? and now we dont? and dont give me we arent good enough. we are more or less as good now as we were any average year over the last 25.

personally i dont care if we play bcs schools or not (i'd like to play one or two every year though). play more missouri valley schools or mountain west or conference usa. but dont put the likes of rockhurst on our schedules and tell us thats the best we can get. 2-3 gimmees is fine. always have done it always will. dont like it, but have resigned myself to it. but to have so many 200+ rpi teams on the schedule now is becoming embarrassing.

that said, i am glad to see the bowling green and belmont games at least that is somewhat of a step up.

So Nebraska, Georgia, Iowa St. and Notre Dame or Northwestern aren't BCS schools?

The Gonzaga and Iowa series were started when we were still in CUSA. We all know why UNC scheduled us. And Mississippi at the time was about equivalent to Georgia.

The fact is, whether we like it or not, when we moved from the Great Midwest/CUSA to the A-10, the rest of the college basketball world stopped looking at SLU as a hybrid major/mid-major team and started looking at us as a mid-major, plain and simple. Mid majors only get home and homes with BCS teams if they have the juice (Xavier, Gonzaga, Memphis, Temple, etc. are examples). We don't currently have the juice so we don't get to play the big boys, unless it is a low BCS team or in some tourney.

We played UNC because of Hansbrough plain and simple. I wouldnt be surprised if UNC called us.

fine, go play washington because of suggs. or go schedule illinois because of griffey. or get minnesota because of allen, etc.

I just wanted to say something about student apathy. First off, I went to probably 3/4 of the home games last year and we had a descent crowd for every one. If there is something to say for the atmosphere created at home its our home record. It was pretty phenomenal last year. (contrasted with our horrifying away record) I don't think the football team thing would do all that much. There are plenty of teams who are basketball oriented with no football team and have great interest. I think if we get in the tourney in the next three years, stuff will change. Think about what makes big state schools football games the thing to do. There is tailgating and more than a sporting event, its a social event. I love the bills and I love college basketball and I will go to the games no matter what. But as soon as we start getting descent and as soon as we can get people to start wanting to have parties before and after the games, then the so so fans or even the not fans at all will come and get rowdy. And when the student section is really rowdy I think season ticket sales will go up because the random st. louis fans who didn't before have a particular allegiance will come and see the atmosphere will want to come again. Also I think once stuff like that gets started and maybe gets going for just a couple years then traditions can be started. I will be devoting my apartment Junior year to do my part in the festivities. But have faith about the student section. Its gonna be a process, but I really do believe that in 2 or three years it could be pretty sweet. It would also be cool if SLU could set aside some place for tailgating. I dont know how realistic that is but just a thought. As for blue crew, I'm not breaking new ground saying they could do a ton better. But free shirt nights have really been cool atmosphere with the blue out and white out. Also some new cheers would be good and maybe a good dosage of controlled heckling. It just takes people to go out and do it so for any current students who read, take the initiative and change the ###### that sucks right now and in a year or two things may just snowball into awesomeness.

What is this "controlled" heckling. GO ALL OUT!

fine, go play washington because of suggs. or go schedule illinois because of griffey. or get minnesota because of allen, etc.

If Suggs was as good as Hansborough and Washington had to promise to play in his home state, I bet we would....but he's not as good.

Three poor examples. Romar will never come back here to play. He'd rather just stay away and pick off the best talent that comes around. Thanks again LoRo. Illinois already has a local presence so they have no need to do a special game in St. Louis for one of their players. Allen is a walk-on. Doubt Minnesota is going out of their way to schedule a game to please a walk-on.

Do you really believe we don't reach out to the Illinois of the world every year to try and start a series?

Three poor examples. Romar will never come back here to play. He'd rather just stay away and pick off the best talent that comes around. Thanks again LoRo. Illinois already has a local presence so they have no need to do a special game in St. Louis for one of their players. Allen is a walk-on. Doubt Minnesota is going out of their way to schedule a game to please a walk-on.

Do you really believe we don't reach out to the Illinois of the world every year to try and start a series?

i agree with bauman. i think we are intentionally scheduling weaker. it just doesnt fall off the cliff as badly as our SOS has. i dont buy the no longer in cusa stuff. when we were in cusa we were the same disrespected middle of the road approx 100 rpi team as we are now.

and like i said a million times, dont get all wrapped up in the bcs games. i just want a touger non conference schedule. doesnt have to be bcs schools. like i said above, play the other mid major schools. just quit giving us 6 buy games plus two exhibitions a year. two or three plus the two exhibitions is sufficient.

you asked for examples of home and aways we have played since we got in the a-10. i give you a number of examples and none of them count. whatever.

If SLU wants students to show up, all they have to do is win. I remember waiting for several rotations of shuttles to get to the games in 97-98. If the team can pile up double digit wins in the non-con there will be excitement going into the conference, they just have to maintain it. A 8-12th place finish and any momentum is lost. If they are battling for the top the student support will be there no matter who is on the schedule. It is all about winning.

Oh yeah, I can't wait to see my first game at the new arena on 12/05.

I agree with you on Majerus, he is probably a good recruiter but he lacks character. Not the kind of guy I would want to be playing for or having a son play for! I have dropped my season tickets because of Majerus.

So go away! You are not a fan and although sometimes it is not obvious from the posters here--this is supposed to be a website for Billiken fans!

you asked for examples of home and aways we have played since we got in the a-10. i give you a number of examples and none of them count. whatever.

Here is what I asked "Quick quiz, name the best home and home we have been able to start after we started playing in the A-10?"

You named Iowa and Gonzaga. We started those series when we were in CUSA. UNC would count but we all know there are unique circumstances around that series.

We conceded Mississippi but really that's no different than playing Georgia or Nebraska.

Your other scenarios to play Washington, Illinois and Minnesota don't work. Maybe we'll get a KU or Florida if Beal goes there...

Its not a "whatever" Roy, its the reality.