OT: ESPN Feature on Former SLU Assistant Cameron Dollar

Pistol

I forgot that Dollar was the same age as I am. I don't think I could picture myself as a HC!

The article kind of made me wonder if we would have been in a similar situation had we gone DII back in the 70s, as some had advocated. Sounds like SLU and Seattle have a lot in common.

I hope Seattle can get into the WCC somehow - they would be a perfect fit.

I forgot that Dollar was the same age as I am. I don't think I could picture myself as a HC!

The article kind of made me wonder if we would have been in a similar situation had we gone DII back in the 70s, as some had advocated. Sounds like SLU and Seattle have a lot in common.

I hope Seattle can get into the WCC somehow - they would be a perfect fit.

I would think that if the WCC is going to add Seattle, there would have to be another team to make it 10. Then again, the Big West has 9, and all are California schools. I'm guessing the WCC would pluck Pacific if it could choose one of those, as it's the most successful of them by a long shot and is also the only private school in the BWC. The other current D-I independents out west are Utah Valley and Cal State Bakersfield, and North and South Dakota are probably too far away to consider.

Dollar's a great guy- young, dynamic, strong recruiter. I know he got slapped on the wrist a few years ago for some out-of-season contact with a recruit, but I think that was more a one-off occurrence than a pattern of behavior. I think he'll do well at Seattle and I'd love to see them find a good fit for a conference and become nationally competitive again.

• 6 months later...

I would think that if the WCC is going to add Seattle, there would have to be another team to make it 10. Then again, the Big West has 9, and all are California schools. I'm guessing the WCC would pluck Pacific if it could choose one of those, as it's the most successful of them by a long shot and is also the only private school in the BWC. The other current D-I independents out west are Utah Valley and Cal State Bakersfield, and North and South Dakota are probably too far away to consider.

Dollar's a great guy- young, dynamic, strong recruiter. I know he got slapped on the wrist a few years ago for some out-of-season contact with a recruit, but I think that was more a one-off occurrence than a pattern of behavior. I think he'll do well at Seattle and I'd love to see them find a good fit for a conference and become nationally competitive again.

Re the WCC, there is also talk about Denver. Seattle U and Pacific were both once members of the WCC. Pacific was a charter member, but left due to football, which it has since dropped. Gonzaga is believed to not be keen about Seattle U rejoining the WCC, which could affect Gonzaga's fiefdom in the Great Northwest, including Seattle proper. That's interesting since both Gonzaga and Seattle U are Jesuit schools.

I saw Gonzaga in person last Thursday at St. Mary's. Gonzaga has reloaded and may well be the best team in the West.

I saw this at least six months ago.

Look at the date of the first post. Box was just updating us on Seattle's progress. They're 9-11 now with a few impressive wins. Not bad for an independent that most teams on the schedule consider a buy game.

I found this part interesting:

Dollar says he will seek out opponents looking for an extra game during the bye weeks, perhaps lower echelon teams from the major conferences who are often shut out from TV. One reliable opponent is Washington, which recently agreed to a five-year series with Seattle U. Dollar says he also would welcome games with Gonzaga.

When Frank Cusumano interviewed Washington's Coach Romar a number of years ago, when Brad Soderberg was SLU's coach, Romar told him that he wouldn't schedule a series against SLU as long as Soderberg (a former assistant — albeit for just one year) was SLU's coach. So now he's going to schedule a series against a school coached by a former assistant? Perhaps it's to help Dollar get the program on the map, whereas SLU was already on the map.

I found this part interesting:

When Frank Cusumano interviewed Washington's Coach Romar a number of years ago, when Brad Soderberg was SLU's coach, Romar told him that he wouldn't schedule a series against SLU as long as Soderberg (a former assistant — albeit for just one year) was SLU's coach. So now he's going to schedule a series against a school coached by a former assistant? Perhaps it's to help Dollar get the program on the map, whereas SLU was already on the map.

Romar and Dollar also have a much different relationship. Romar was an assistant and Dollar was a player on that 1995 UCLA team that won the championship. Dollar was then an assistant for him after playing overseas for a few years, and went to SLU and then Washington with him before taking the Seattle job.

Soderberg was asked by Romar to join his staff at SLU after Soderberg was fired from Wisconsin. They only spent one year together on the same staff. While I know there is a great deal of respect between the two, Romar would be more likely to play against the younger guy at the independent program across town and get him a good game and some attention than to come back to the city he used to coach in and play the school he left against a guy who used to be his assistant.

The WCC is probably going to add Seattle and Pacific. Denver is out! Secondly CD is a solid coach and is going to do good things at Seattle U. The WCC is on the rise and those of you who think SLU is better than St. Mary's have no idea what they are talking about. Randy has done a hell of a job at SMC and would hammer SLU if they played.

The WCC is probably going to add Seattle and Pacific. Denver is out! Secondly CD is a solid coach and is going to do good things at Seattle U. The WCC is on the rise and those of you who think SLU is better than St. Mary's have no idea what they are talking about. Randy has done a hell of a job at SMC and would hammer SLU if they played.

Would hammer SLU? How do you define that? 10, 20, 30 point victory?

If we didn't hire Majerus, Randy Bennett was at the top of my wish list and when Majerus retires I wouldn't mind us going after Bennett. He has done a great job building the St. Mary's program and he was an assistant here under Romar. On one hand I'm not sure he would leave the SMC program he built but on the other hand a million dollar salary and state of the art facilities could go a long way to changing someone's mind.

If we didn't hire Majerus, Randy Bennett was at the top of my wish list and when Majerus retires I wouldn't mind us going after Bennett. He has done a great job building the St. Mary's program and he was an assistant here under Romar. On one hand I'm not sure he would leave the SMC program he built but on the other hand a million dollar salary and state of the art facilities could go a long way to changing someone's mind.

I like him too, but at this point I would probably just like to see Moser slip into the role when Rick is done unless we can get another big name.

I like him too, but at this point I would probably just like to see Moser slip into the role when Rick is done unless we can get another big name.

Agreed, I'm a big Porter fan. I think he is undoubtedly one of the most important parts to the upward trend SLU is on.

Agreed, I'm a big Porter fan. I think he is undoubtedly one of the most important parts to the upward trend SLU is on.

I doubt Biondi would make the West Coast mistake again and I hope RM stays until he is 70

Lots of people with his body type and history learn to be productive until they are 85 with modern medicine

and the workout routine he has at the MAC. I really think it is poor taste for certain people to keep

speculating on the after Rick era. If he wins big for a few years he certainly will be coach longer than Grawer

and Spoon