Willllllie

CO-billiken

In my opinion Reed by his junior year will be a 1st team all conference type of player. Watching the Dayton game he had a huge impact(7 blocks) while only scoring two points and in the previous six games he scored a minimum of 9 in every game. However if he is to make this type of a jump in the next few years he will need to #1 become more consistent from the line and and 2 put on LEAN weight.

He is already averaging 8 and 6 and this is in only 22 minutes. By next year I expect him to make great strides defensively with added strength and conditioning. Another point to be taken into consideration is that he will also have an all conference point guard to get him the ball.

Thoughts on the progreession(transformation) of Reed over the next couple of years

In my opinion Reed by his junior year will be a 1st team all conference type of player. Watching the Dayton game he had a huge impact(7 blocks) while only scoring two points and in the previous six games he scored a minimum of 9 in every game. However if he is to make this type of a jump in the next few years he will need to #1 become more consistent from the line and and 2 put on LEAN weight.

He is already averaging 8 and 6 and this is in only 22 minutes. By next year I expect him to make great strides defensively with added strength and conditioning. Another point to be taken into consideration is that he will also have an all conference point guard to get him the ball.

Thoughts on the progreession(transformation) of Reed over the next couple of years

Ok not to put a damper on everyone who loves Willie but he needs to work on A LOT of things...yes hes athletic and blocks shots, but he can be lazy on defense. He can have a terrible attitude as seen in the game that he back talked coach and got pulled and got an ass chewing from Kwamain. Willie can be good if he wants to...he just needs to want to

Ok not to put a damper on everyone who loves Willie but he needs to work on A LOT of things...yes hes athletic and blocks shots, but he can be lazy on defense. He can have a terrible attitude as seen in the game that he back talked coach and got pulled and got an ass chewing from Kwamain. Willie can be good if he wants to...he just needs to want to

I understand your loyalty to Brett, but there is no reason to take shots at Willie. Willie has had a great attitude this year, and is one of the hardest workers on the team. If I were you I would give a little more thought before you post.

PS, I admire Brett's attitude while on the bench, I have never seen him sulk about not playing, and is always the first one off the bench to congratulate a teammate.

Hi Trey; with all due respect, your message seems both way obvious, and also a little mean-spirited to me. First, it seems fairly obvious to say about any raw, athletic freshman, that there are many things needing work, ho hum.

More importantly; as for Willie having a "terrible attitude" at times; well, again, seems vindictive and mean-spirited, so I will say in Willie's defense, and the team's -- I'm not sure where the "line" is anymore on here, but you may be crossing the line with that sort of gunk.

PS: I also notice, as I age, that I occasionally have a "terrible attitude" at times; but that's another story (the human story).

Hi Trey; with all due respect, your message seems both way obvious, and also a little mean-spirited to me. First, it seems fairly obvious to say about any raw, athletic freshman, that there are many things needing work, ho hum.

More importantly; as for Willie having a "terrible attitude" at times; well, again, seems vindictive and mean-spirited, so I will say in Willie's defense, and the team's -- I'm not sure where the "line" is anymore on here, but you may be crossing the line with that sort of gunk.

PS: I also notice, as I age, that I occasionally have a "terrible attitude" at times; but that's another story (the human story).

Not that Trey needs defending.... Looking at a bigger picture though, emotional people do have great highs but also can have lows. I know we all want to think that Willie's emotion is always a good thing. On the Court, it is enormously refreshing and contageous. However, I am not naive enough to think that RM or another player did something that Willie does not like that he would have the same emotion about it -- good or bad.

I took the comment to be that Willie needs to better control his emotion which is legitimate point about most 18 year old kids but maybe a bigger point of emphasis for Willie.

Not that Trey needs defending.... Looking at a bigger picture though, emotional people do have great highs but also can have lows. I know we all want to think that Willie's emotion is always a good thing. On the Court, it is enormously refreshing and contageous. However, I am not naive enough to think that RM or another player did something that Willie does not like that he would have the same emotion about it -- good or bad.

I took the comment to be that Willie needs to better control his emotion which is legitimate point about most 18 year old kids but maybe a bigger point of emphasis for Willie.

I think Trey is the one who needs better control of his emotions...

I absolutely agree that he can be lazy on defense, but this is why in my original post I said with added strength and CONDITIONING I believe he will make great strides defensively by next year. I don't think that is a crazy or bold statement at all. In fact I think most of us expect it.

I think Trey is the one who needs better control of his emotions...

Why is it that every time I mention anything bad about another player on the team its some how secretly linked to me being upset about bretts playing time? Like Ive said before Im ok with it...what Im not ok with is some of the things Willie has said and done that you guys dont know about and that its not my place to mention on this board...I like Willie as a player and a person but he needs to grow metally, and physically so much. Hes made some bad choices that have really changed what I thought about him as a person. Im just trying to put a different light on this because there has been so many "I Love Willie Reed" threads posted with most everyone having their heads in the clouds because you havent had a player gifted with athleticism like this in so long youre star struck. I dont see Willie as any better or any worse than anyone else on the team...I could go right now and name every players strength and weakness and IMO Willie has just as much to work on to make an impact on next year as everyone else does...dont set the bar so high on him that hell disappoint you guys, hes only a kid. Just like everyone else, its ok for me to say things that are negative about the players, I didnt try and bash Willie in a negative way. I just have gotten frustreated with all you guys who post and post and post about how amazing Willie and Kwamain are while these guys are frosh who are just ok players right now...but you dont see almost anythng on Kyle, Brian, or Brett. These kids are just as important to the team as those two are but since they are all flash and glimmer you guys dont seem to care. Coming from a guy whos been around basketball almost 17 years basketball is so much more than dunks and fancy layups, all these kids deserve the hype you give Willie and Kwamain thats all Im saying.

Trey I like you, but I got to say family members on the board got to be careful about what they post.

And I will say to you with all due respect and all that I think I shouldnt have to be extra careful because Im Bretts brother...if it gets any crazier than Ill just change names so you guys dont know who I am...Ive not been inappropriate ever on this site and Ive never been disrespectful to anyone and I think I should be able to disagree with people and state negative things about players when I see them.

I think I should be able to disagree with people and state negative things about players when I see them.

All I'll say is that you AREN'T seeing these negative things because you're not allowed in practice (I don't think). Brett is telling you these things and whether his opinions mirror yours or not, it can easily be construed as BRETT saying these negative things about his teammates, valid or not. I know it's completely impossible to be impartial, but for Brett's sake, you have to try to be. I'm on your side, just be careful, that's all.

Why is it that every time I mention anything bad about another player on the team its some how secretly linked to me being upset about bretts playing time? Like Ive said before Im ok with it...what Im not ok with is some of the things Willie has said and done that you guys dont know about and that its not my place to mention on this board...I like Willie as a player and a person but he needs to grow metally, and physically so much. Hes made some bad choices that have really changed what I thought about him as a person. Im just trying to put a different light on this because there has been so many "I Love Willie Reed" threads posted with most everyone having their heads in the clouds because you havent had a player gifted with athleticism like this in so long youre star struck. I dont see Willie as any better or any worse than anyone else on the team...I could go right now and name every players strength and weakness and IMO Willie has just as much to work on to make an impact on next year as everyone else does...dont set the bar so high on him that hell disappoint you guys, hes only a kid. Just like everyone else, its ok for me to say things that are negative about the players, I didnt try and bash Willie in a negative way. I just have gotten frustreated with all you guys who post and post and post about how amazing Willie and Kwamain are while these guys are frosh who are just ok players right now...but you dont see almost anythng on Kyle, Brian, or Brett. These kids are just as important to the team as those two are but since they are all flash and glimmer you guys dont seem to care. Coming from a guy whos been around basketball almost 17 years basketball is so much more than dunks and fancy layups, all these kids deserve the hype you give Willie and Kwamain thats all Im saying.

Trey, I've seen countless posts about Kyle's strong points on this board, and Coach constantly praises him. Conklin is admired by a lot of the people on the board for being a banger and a warrior, and playing hard nosed basketball. As Brett has continued to improve, he's gotten credit too. I've seen multiple posts mentioning people being impressed with Brett's play of late, and the group of people I attend games with has noticed as well. Everyone is proud of how well all the freshmen are playing and improving.

I think Kwamain has started to show that right now he's head and shoulders above the rest of the freshmen. Willie has been a great spark to the team, and has played really well of late. Of course he's going to get the attention when the throws down alleyoops and blocks 7 shots in one game. That's exciting and it's always going to draw the hype.

Whatever Willie has done that has "changed what [you] thought about him as a person" doesn't matter because it doesn't belong on the board. If you are going to post something specific, it's going to create more problems for you and Brett than it is worth, so you aren't going to do that. By just vaguely saying something like that you are trying to stir the pot, which just makes you look like an ######. The kid has played above expectations this year, and I hope he continues to work hard and improve, just like the rest of the players. You are right, they all have a lot they need to work on, but there isn't anything wrong with lavishing a little credit on those who are playing well lately.

Trey, I've seen countless posts about Kyle's strong points on this board, and Coach constantly praises him. Conklin is admired by a lot of the people on the board for being a banger and a warrior, and playing hard nosed basketball. As Brett has continued to improve, he's gotten credit too. I've seen multiple posts mentioning people being impressed with Brett's play of late, and the group of people I attend games with has noticed as well. Everyone is proud of how well all the freshmen are playing and improving.

I think Kwamain has started to show that right now he's head and shoulders above the rest of the freshmen. Willie has been a great spark to the team, and has played really well of late. Of course he's going to get the attention when the throws down alleyoops and blocks 7 shots in one game. That's exciting and it's always going to draw the hype.

Whatever Willie has done that has "changed what [you] thought about him as a person" doesn't matter because it doesn't belong on the board. If you are going to post something specific, it's going to create more problems for you and Brett than it is worth, so you aren't going to do that. By just vaguely saying something like that you are trying to stir the pot, which just makes you look like an ######. The kid has played above expectations this year, and I hope he continues to work hard and improve, just like the rest of the players. You are right, they all have a lot they need to work on, but there isn't anything wrong with lavishing a little credit on those who are playing well lately.

Dude I dont know you, so the name calling is a little uncalled for...this is completely ridiculous...Ive said I like every player on this team. I also dont like some things about everyone on this team. Im one of the only guys who doesnt hide behind annomousity on this board and everyone knows who I am. I post what I know and what I feel, so does everyone else on this board. So why does it make me an ######? It doesnt. You guys dont know anything about me. I hang out with Brett, Kyle, Brian all the time and sometimes Paul. Thats who I get my info from. Nothing of what I post is biased. Im a pretty smart guy and i know the difference. Also if I did get biased info on a player it wouldnt be posted. Yeah I shouldnt have even brought up the things Willie have done that I didnt like but I did...Like everyone else on the board I have the right to my opinion. You guys are in love with Willie and I think hes a streaky, mediocre player who has a giant ceiling if he works hard. I also think right now hes better than Brett so......also they are two totally different players. Am I the only one on this board not aloud to criticize the team? Multiple times Ive posted the things I like about Willie. I also guess youre right. This thread wasnt the place to talk badly about a player who just had a pretty good game. He earned the credit he got and Im sorry for being a dick.

1.First of all get off your high horse. I highly, highly doubt you have any more insight to a players actual talent than many posters on the board, and you have more than others.

2. Kwamain was A10 player of the week, that will get him some extra praise .... can you get that.

3. Willie had 7 blocks, and 4-5 i a 10 minute span. That's attention grabbing and will also get talked about on the board .... can you see that.

4. If you're going to send out the negative tease, man up and say what you want to say and then take the fallout that comes with it ...or better yet just shut up. The Billiken message board isn't the place to air your personal negative inside info or opinion.

5. Lastly, don't let being a players brother overinflate your sense of self. My brother's a computer programer. Doesn't mean I undrstand it.

6. PS .... I still have a man crush on Willie and Kwamain. And I guarantee you there's very little you can teach me about the game with your 17 years around it.

7. PSS .... I just can't stop. You apparently don't read the board much. Plenty of good things get said about KC, BT, and BC. They haven't achieved as much on the court in games as the other 2, so clearly it's not as much.

Dude I dont know you, so the name calling is a little uncalled for...this is completely ridiculous...Ive said I like every player on this team. I also dont like some things about everyone on this team. Im one of the only guys who doesnt hide behind annomousity on this board and everyone knows who I am. I post what I know and what I feel, so does everyone else on this board. So why does it make me an ######? It doesnt. You guys dont know anything about me. I hang out with Brett, Kyle, Brian all the time and sometimes Paul. Thats who I get my info from. Nothing of what I post is biased. Im a pretty smart guy and i know the difference. Also if I did get biased info on a player it wouldnt be posted. Yeah I shouldnt have even brought up the things Willie have done that I didnt like but I did...Like everyone else on the board I have the right to my opinion. You guys are in love with Willie and I think hes a streaky, mediocre player who has a giant ceiling if he works hard. I also think right now hes better than Brett so......also they are two totally different players. Am I the only one on this board not aloud to criticize the team? Multiple times Ive posted the things I like about Willie. I also guess youre right. This thread wasnt the place to talk badly about a player who just had a pretty good game. He earned the credit he got and Im sorry for being a dick.

"Hes made some bad choices that have really changed what I thought about him as a person."

You're right, Trey, I shouldn't have called you an ######. I apologize. Either way, that line was inappropriate and you know it. That's what I took offense to about your post.

I don't think anyone on this board thinks Willie is ready for the NBA tomorrow. He needs a lot of work. He gets worked on defense one-on-one all the time. After last night's game, I don't think you'll be seeing a lot of praise for anyone all week.

Didn't see this post. Look, everyone wants you to continue posting. You're a smart guy, but hanging out with Brian, Kyle, and Brett you will probably hear opinions that are better left off this board. Also, take them for what they are .... just those guys opinions.

Trey, I hope you keep posting, but my opinion is the same for everyone-- brother or not. There should be lines, but in fact there often are not.

One example has already been hammered: you said, "He's made some bad choices that have really changed what I thought about him as a person." I'm glad you later apologized, but please realize that forgiveness is not equal to trust. So, that trust must now be rejuvenated. I agree with your own judgment: that you did cross the line with that mean-spirited comment.

The irony here is that so many others on here often post vicious and mean-spirited comments, so yours is hardly alone. For whatever reasons, a lot of folks have hammered you. Go figure.

Personally, I dislike it when ANYONE on here does that, and I used to be VERY vocal about it, until I was instructed by my younger colleagues that evidently saying scurrilous things about our players was OK -- at least, some think so. Personally, I do not do that, and refuse to do it. I think most guys on here would agree with me, but a loud minority feel it is proper do do otherwise.

This is the culture we live in, sadly; overly critical, values wildly out of whack, and the Bill Mahers of the world making millions taking pot-shots and modeling such tasteless behavior as not only acceptable but highly lucrative. Again, go figure.

It's easy to accumulate a lot of dirt on any number of folks associated with college sports (there are many, many things I could announce to the world, if I wanted to sound like I was "in the know" or somehow superior), but I do not think an internet board is the place for such matters. Many on here disagree with me, so I rarely voice these complaints anymore. I guess today is your lucky day. And I believe I speak for the silent majority.

Trey, I hope you keep posting, but my opinion is the same for everyone-- brother or not. There should be lines, but in fact there often are not.

One example has already been hammered: you said, "He's made some bad choices that have really changed what I thought about him as a person." I'm glad you later apologized, but please realize that forgiveness is not equal to trust. So, that trust must now be rejuvenated. I agree with your own judgment: that you did cross the line with that mean-spirited comment.

The irony here is that so many others on here often post vicious and mean-spirited comments, so yours is hardly alone. For whatever reasons, a lot of folks have hammered you. Go figure.

Personally, I dislike it when ANYONE on here does that, and I used to be VERY vocal about it, until I was instructed by my younger colleagues that evidently saying scurrilous things about our players was OK -- at least, some think so. Personally, I do not do that, and refuse to do it. I think most guys on here would agree with me, but a loud minority feel it is proper do do otherwise.

This is the culture we live in, sadly; overly critical, values wildly out of whack, and the Bill Mahers of the world making millions taking pot-shots and modeling such tasteless behavior as not only acceptable but highly lucrative. Again, go figure.

It's easy to accumulate a lot of dirt on any number of folks associated with college sports (there are many, many things I could announce to the world, if I wanted to sound like I was "in the know" or somehow superior), but I do not think an internet board is the place for such matters. Many on here disagree with me, so I rarely voice these complaints anymore. I guess today is your lucky day. And I believe I speak for the silent majority.

Well stated, Doc. You certainly speak for me.

All the things you hear about willie, I will say one thing, if you was not there you don't know what went on, it all hear say.

All the things you hear about willie, I will say one thing, if you was not there you don't know what went on, it all hear say.

Trey, I have absolutely no problem with you criticizing Willie's play. Everyone understands that he has some stuff to work on. The hype about Willie has a lot to do with the high ceiling that you mentioned he possessed. Furthermore, he's just an electric and exciting player. Add to that the energy he brings to the floor and it's no wonder he's a fan favorite. Some guys have that "it" factor and others don't.

The problem I did have with your post is the fact that not only did you throw Willie's character under the bus, but you compromised the group of players you hang out with. Any posts in which you insinuate that certain players are telling you about Willie's "poor choices" should never be repeated for several reasons. First and foremost, nothing good can come from these comments. If people are going to like Willie, nothing you say is going to change their mind. He's a fun player to watch. However, by making the claims you did, you run the risk of creating dissension within the team. What if someone were to tell Willie that certain guys on the team are talking about him and judging him. A team of freshman this talented will continue to grow and develop their skills. Great teams, however, have a certain level of cohesion. If there are problems within the team, that is only going to stunt the growth of the cohesion and rapport these guys must develop.

All that being said, I appreciate what you bring the board. There is some insight that you will be able to get that nobody else can. Just be careful what you choose to divulge. Otherwise, keep up the good insight!

And I will say to you with all due respect and all that I think I shouldnt have to be extra careful because Im Bretts brother...if it gets any crazier than Ill just change names so you guys dont know who I am...Ive not been inappropriate ever on this site and Ive never been disrespectful to anyone and I think I should be able to disagree with people and state negative things about players when I see them.

Trey, my advice would be to post under a different name. You don't need all the comments relating to your relationship with Brett, especially when they occur after every one of your posts.

As for what should or should not be said in a message board: we all want inside scoops and gossip, and it is disingenuous and hypocritical for some to say that those types of things should not be posted on this forum. But, it does seem inappropriate to hint at or drip feed some info but then refuse to disclose the rest because of some sort of confidentiality or ethical code. Either say it or leave it off the board, either is fine with me.

I really don't want to sound like some know it all here, just my advice and opinion. Take it or leave it.

Trey, I have absolutely no problem with you criticizing Willie's play. Everyone understands that he has some stuff to work on. The hype about Willie has a lot to do with the high ceiling that you mentioned he possessed. Furthermore, he's just an electric and exciting player. Add to that the energy he brings to the floor and it's no wonder he's a fan favorite. Some guys have that "it" factor and others don't.

The problem I did have with your post is the fact that not only did you throw Willie's character under the bus, but you compromised the group of players you hang out with. Any posts in which you insinuate that certain players are telling you about Willie's "poor choices" should never be repeated for several reasons. First and foremost, nothing good can come from these comments. If people are going to like Willie, nothing you say is going to change their mind. He's a fun player to watch. However, by making the claims you did, you run the risk of creating dissension within the team. What if someone were to tell Willie that certain guys on the team are talking about him and judging him. A team of freshman this talented will continue to grow and develop their skills. Great teams, however, have a certain level of cohesion. If there are problems within the team, that is only going to stunt the growth of the cohesion and rapport these guys must develop.

All that being said, I appreciate what you bring the board. There is some insight that you will be able to get that nobody else can. Just be careful what you choose to divulge. Otherwise, keep up the good insight!

Band Man Speaks for me

Also Steve, Nark, or Thicks, I am sick of this thread, it has the potential to be very damaging to everyone involved. Can we please close and/or delete it?