cheerleaders

anne

How is it that the "NEW" Saintsations are easily overshadowed by their highschool counterparts at half-time entertainment?

The Spirit Squad (Cheerleaders of years gone by) had more attractive and talented girls, the guys were a welcome addition for the stunting, and overall those squads put the present group to shame.

Check out the squads at any "Name" college and you will see co-ed cheerleaders. They work on outstanding stunts and tumbling. All that is head and shoulders above the present Saintsations. The name even lacks any imagination. Come on, this is the college level, I would expect that sort of name at grade school. Heck, even high school would be more creative than that.

The signs, stunting, and gymnastics of the cheerleading squad are sorely missed thses days. The "Dance" squad is really lacking in direction and talent. I am a fan of cheerleaders, you can have the so called "Dance Squad" (Yawn). Maybe there are just a reflection of thier leadership?

This is crazy talk.

Jumbo,

You are a victim of "He'll do anything if you show him some skin".

The Saintsations are lame at best. A couple of them are hold overs from the past Cheerleading squad. They are the talented ones who are credible at tumbling and stunting. They are also the best looking of the squad.

At the Dayton game, the half-time dance squad from a local high school out shined a college squad hands down. The overall talent of the present squad has gone down hill this year.

Put the squad back on track with the rest of the college programs. D1 schools have dancers and cheerleaders and elect the best talent for both. SLU athletics screwed up when they ditched the cheerleaders for a single "Saintsations" squad.

Parks

Parks 68 --You are welcome to leave at the half time show, no one is forcing you to stay and watch.

Jumbo,

The Saintsations are lame at best. A couple of them are hold overs from the past Cheerleading squad. They are the talented ones who are credible at tumbling and stunting. They are also the best looking of the squad.

At the Dayton game, the half-time dance squad from a local high school out shined a college squad hands down. The overall talent of the present squad has gone down hill this year.

Put the squad back on track with the rest of the college programs. D1 schools have dancers and cheerleaders and elect the best talent for both. SLU athletics screwed up when they ditched the cheerleaders for a single "Saintsations" squad.

Parks

Sorry, didn't mean to lead a witch hunt against you, but the Saintsations have the proverbial "juice". The old cheerleaders did not have said "juice". Hence, Saintsations > Old Cheerleading Slags .

Did you graduate Parks in 1968? Just taking a flying guess based on your handle.

I was there from 1975 through 1979, 1983 if you count a couple of grad years with season tickets. And I have to beg to differ. I have to believe that has to do with "standards" that I imposed. As I have grown older, I've been able to see the better side of ladies as I've advanced with age. I don' attribute that to my growing older and wiser, but rather a natural progression of time.

Still, over that time, there is no way in god's green acre that SLU had any "talent" on those sidelines. I think you are right in that there were huge differences in dance teams and cheerleading teams but I still do not think many people pay attention to cheering with the cheerleaders. When there is a huge run, the cheerleaders, male and female, can add to that environment but it is not a stand alone environment. The dance team adds in. The band certainly adds in (that's our advantage --- great band). The crowd adds in. It all works.

I don't know what our "problem" is but we have one. Back in the recent days of yore, we had the Billiken Dance Team and the Baby Blues. I know for a fact that a certain influential alumna made that go away. To that I say nay-nay and find such behavior prudish. How come the really good dance teams, like the ones you find at Memphis, and Louisville, and Oregon, and USC and even Southern Miss, are all schools that don't sport a religious affiliation either here in the now or recent past? Coincidence? I don't think so. I have never seen anything short of what my friend calls "pasty white women" from the northern religious outfits like Marquette and RuPaul. I am sure Gonzaga is probably the same. I don't ever recall Dayton and/or Xavier having anyhting of note either. So maybe its the lineage or environment. I thnk that, unfortunately, sex sells and if you can't pull that off in totality, it should not be attempted at all. So if dancers and tight spandex and revealing outfits are against the SLU grain --- either Biondi level or backer lever ---- then they should be done and gone with. If you cna't do it right, don't do it all. And if that's the route you go, then you go for the midget young ladies that Bluto and the rest of the male gang can hoist about with ease and make "fly" through the air.

Finally, I hate to say this, but if you're going to Hooters for eyeball candy and "juice," you are dreadfully in the wrong place. I go to Hooters for the wings and the televisions. If I wanted eyeball candy, well, that's a whole different atmosphere and usually had an "east side" address or preface. Hard to believe the six founding fathers of Hooters went to jail for "impersonating restauranteurs." Oh well.

Jumbo,

Parks

Is it just me or dare I ask what "stunting" is??

While we're on this topic, anyone know why the Saintsations started the year with the one piece blue uniforms and then switched to the latest uniforms which look, to me at least, more like the traditional "cheerleader" uniforms from years past. IMO, the original uniforms looked more like an appropriate combination of the cheerleading/dance squad which I thought they were to be.

The AD made the change to a dance squad, because there were not any men who are strong enough to lift a young women that wanted to be part of a squad. If you attended a women's BB game last year, there was a second group of cheerleaders for them, and the "men" were not very athletic. Actually, that's an overstatement, they had zero athletic ability. They were the only ones interested in participating.

Is it just me or dare I ask what "stunting" is??

While we're on this topic, anyone know why the Saintsations started the year with the one piece blue uniforms and then switched to the latest uniforms which look, to me at least, more like the traditional "cheerleader" uniforms from years past. IMO, the original uniforms looked more like an appropriate combination of the cheerleading/dance squad which I thought they were to be.

Yes, I was at Parks from 68 - 71 (AME if you must know).

Stunting is when cheerleaders are hoisted over a male cheerleader and they perform stunts. Like a statue of liberty, a scorpion, etc. Tumbling were cheerleaders do a standing back tuck, or a back layout. You know, gymnastics.

Dancers dance and perform. Both squads are required for a true athletic program. Check out U of I , Michigan State, Notre Dame, Purdue, etc. Division 1 schools with athletic departments with true spirit squads.

The down fall of the squads was the previous coach. She was a dance team coach and paid little attention to the cheerleaders. A coach that was worthy of the position would have elevated the performances of both squads. Instead, both languished and now you see the result. The present squad really doesn't have an experienced coach, just a figure head. So SLU gets what they put their effort into.

It is true that public universities will have a more lenient uniform code. That said, it doesn't mean that you have to show yards of skin in order to help get the crowd into the game.

SLU crowds don't have the passion for their team at this point. The athletic dept. has to step up and really push the marketing effort to the student body. When the blue crew shows up in force, the place is electric and you can feel it.

Parks

Yes, I was at Parks from 68 - 71 (AME if you must know).

Stunting is when cheerleaders are hoisted over a male cheerleader and they perform stunts. Like a statue of liberty, a scorpion, etc. Tumbling were cheerleaders do a standing back tuck, or a back layout. You know, gymnastics.

Dancers dance and perform. Both squads are required for a true athletic program. Check out U of I , Michigan State, Notre Dame, Purdue, etc. Division 1 schools with athletic departments with true spirit squads.

The down fall of the squads was the previous coach. She was a dance team coach and paid little attention to the cheerleaders. A coach that was worthy of the position would have elevated the performances of both squads. Instead, both languished and now you see the result. The present squad really doesn't have an experienced coach, just a figure head. So SLU gets what they put their effort into.

It is true that public universities will have a more lenient uniform code. That said, it doesn't mean that you have to show yards of skin in order to help get the crowd into the game.

SLU crowds don't have the passion for their team at this point. The athletic dept. has to step up and really push the marketing effort to the student body. When the blue crew shows up in force, the place is electric and you can feel it.

Parks

Cheerleader DON'T really help get the crowd into the game. The action on the floor gets the crowd into the game. I mean the only thing IMO that they do to get the crowd in the game is throw the little balls into the stands. Which the current squad does.

Cheerleader DON'T really help get the crowd into the game. The action on the floor gets the crowd into the game. I mean the only thing IMO that they do to get the crowd in the game is throw the little balls into the stands. Which the current squad does.

If that's the case then you really don't need them. However how many people on this board have complained about the lack of participation by the crowd? Good cheerleaders would find a way to to get them involved and either open their mouths or up on their feet more often. That's what they are supposed to do.

You are right I have never seen them do that in the last couple of years at Scottstrade Center, but they never got a chance to succeed at Chaifetz!

:P

If that's the case then you really don't need them. However how many people on this board have complained about the lack of participation by the crowd? Good cheerleaders would find a way to to get them involved and either open their mouths or up on their feet more often. That's what they are supposed to do.

You are right I have never seen them do that in the last couple of years at Scottstrade Center, but they never got a chance to succeed at Chaifetz!

I wouldn't mind giving them a shot. But I don't mind the way it is.

They did not get a chance at Scottrade either after the corporate end of the basketball promotions filled every sigle timeout with yet another lame contest: guys in bubbles, on tricycles, tied to each with a bunge cord, shooting layups, 3 point and half court shots... When that wasn't going on, they were throwing out t-shirts, balls and playing shell games on the scoreboard. At least they save a few moments for the band!!