Next Year's Dayton Game

I don't mind Mizzou discussion if it involves any of these conditions:

-It has to do with SLU in any way

-It involves local recruits

-It is about postseason play

-It discusses a matchup with an A10 team

-It recaps some big event or game

AND

-It isn't obnoxious, name-calling, taunting, etc.

Let's face it, they're the bigger program in state. I want to play them every year and I don't mind healthy, relevant conversation about them. Problem is we don't get much of that without "we're better, nyah nyah nyah!"

I agree with everything you've posted here. If I come off as trying to say "we're better, nyah nyah nyah!" it's really not my intent. I've stated in the past I'd love to see the tigers play SLU, I think it'd be great. And to be honest, I don't know the real reason they don't. I'm only offering up my opinions on why.

I don't know why other mizzou fans on here bring them up to taunt you guys (specifically this year). I only taunt those who taunt me, and even then I only really taunt when it comes to the old garbage of "you can't afford to go to a real school" that plagues these conversations sometimes.

To sum up my feelings on a SLU v Mizzou game:

-I'd love to see it.

-I think there are legitimate reasons it doesn't happen, though I agree that "we're too good for you" isn't one of them.

-I do think SLU fans want it more than MU fans do, but I don't mean that as a slight. I just think only the MU fans in St. Louis really get the enjoyment from that game, and for most of the rest of the fanbase it's just another game.

-I want both SLU and Mizzou to rise to the level of perennial top 25 teams, so that a matchup like this would not only be good for St. Louis (the city, not the school) but also give both programs a chance at a nationally televised game with a rocking crowd. I think Mizzou is only one step ahead on this front because we've had one more year with our current coach. Next year will be the year where we're see if SLU can take the next step, and Mizzou can sustain this momentum.

-I want to sit next to Billiken Roy.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I echo Dr. K's comments.

Cheesy. Further, in response to your comments:

SLU, in a game like that, is (like i said) a very loseable game. If Mizzou were a bubble team this year, it would then represent a "key loss" on our resume were we to lose.

We're not hurting for cash, we have two neutral site rivalry events that regularly sell massive amounts of tickets. So why replace an easy win over a cupcake with a decent chance for a loss against SLU?

I'd say that it must get quite embarrasing that you Mizzou fans are so AFRAID of playing any local school: SLU, MO State, SIUC. Enjoy the artificial world you create.

Frankly, I don't believe that conference/rival wins are the best indicator of a team's ability. How many times do the objectively lesser team (stats, records...) win against their rival. The grudge matches are great for fans, exciting and are the basis behind a team ability to brag. How many times have seen that the failure to beat a rival causes a coach to lose his job even if he succeeds in all the other games. 16 to 18 conference games is too much. A conference tournament afterward only adds to this. Playing Kansas 3 times a year is too much. So are games against Colorado, Nebraska, etc. 2 is enough. Faced with this, BCS schools are afraid to play anyone good OOC. To me, that is what is wrong with college basketball.

Since all you care about is Mizzou, I would think a Mizzou fan would like to play N. Carolina like they did under the Stipo/Sundvold years, play Arizona or UCLA, possibly UConn or a Big East team like Syracuse. If you don't wan to come to St. Louis twice per year, go play Missouri State or SIUC. These games don't happen anymore - and if they do - they are on neutral courts at the very beginning of the season. The NCAA tournament is the first real chance to see how good the BCS schools are.

I would love to play only top 50 schools all season, so long as we were able to be competitive in them. wouldn't you?

I agree with everything you've posted here. If I come off as trying to say "we're better, nyah nyah nyah!" it's really not my intent. I've stated in the past I'd love to see the tigers play SLU, I think it'd be great. And to be honest, I don't know the real reason they don't. I'm only offering up my opinions on why.

I don't know why other mizzou fans on here bring them up to taunt you guys (specifically this year). I only taunt those who taunt me, and even then I only really taunt when it comes to the old garbage of "you can't afford to go to a real school" that plagues these conversations sometimes.

To sum up my feelings on a SLU v Mizzou game:

-I'd love to see it.

-I think there are legitimate reasons it doesn't happen, though I agree that "we're too good for you" isn't one of them.

-I do think SLU fans want it more than MU fans do, but I don't mean that as a slight. I just think only the MU fans in St. Louis really get the enjoyment from that game, and for most of the rest of the fanbase it's just another game.

-I want both SLU and Mizzou to rise to the level of perennial top 25 teams, so that a matchup like this would not only be good for St. Louis (the city, not the school) but also give both programs a chance at a nationally televised game with a rocking crowd. I think Mizzou is only one step ahead on this front because we've had one more year with our current coach. Next year will be the year where we're see if SLU can take the next step, and Mizzou can sustain this momentum.

-I want to sit next to Billiken Roy.

actually you should sit right between skip and me.

Cheesy, you still haven't answered why a Missouri fan comes to a SLU board to post so often.

Steve is a good friend of mine. I live in St. Louis. I follow SLU basketball. I drive past chaifetz and SLU every day on my way to work. I think that for the most part there's great discussion here, that tends to fall apart when the elitist SLU fan types show up with grand proclamations of superior fandom.

Steve is a good friend of mine. I live in St. Louis. I follow SLU basketball. I drive past chaifetz and SLU every day on my way to work.

Fair enough. You follow SLU basketball, but are you a SLU fan? just curious. I haven't seen you post too many positive things about SLU and only see you around here when we're discussing Missouri.

I think that for the most part there's great discussion here, that tends to fall apart when the elitist SLU fan types show up with grand proclamations of superior fandom.

It also tends to fall apart when you come onto a SLU board as an unabashed Missouri fan and take shots at SLU. I have no issues with you being a missouri fan, but let's not act like you're an innocent bystander.

I think that for the most part there's great discussion here, that tends to fall apart when the elitist SLU fan types show up with grand proclamations of superior fandom.

what you really mean to say is:

".......tends to fall apart when slu fans wont admit slu is an inferior program to mi$$ouri." got it.

Fair enough. You follow SLU basketball, but are you a SLU fan? just curious. I haven't seen you post too many positive things about SLU and only see you around here when we're discussing Missouri.

It also tends to fall apart when you come onto a SLU board as an unabashed Missouri fan and take shots at SLU. I have no issues with you being a missouri fan, but let's not act like you're an innocent bystander.

I don't take shots at SLU. I want SLU to be great at basketball again, and have said as much many times over.

I tried my hand at letting my billiken fandom show back in 2004 when i joined the board but was quickly shot down by those on this board who would rather tear down mizzou fans than willingly accept that people can enjoy and follow both programs. That's the elitism I was speaking of. There are some folks on this board who complain about lack of support out of one side of their mouth and then push away local fans of multiple programs away with the other side.

I don't take shots at SLU.

That's a lie. You took shots at SLU in the recent thread when postcard posted the tv ratings.

I want SLU to be great at basketball again, and have said as much many times over.

I don't remember you ever saying that.

I tried my hand at letting my billiken fandom show back in 2004 when i joined the board but was quickly shot down by those on this board who would rather tear down mizzou fans than willingly accept that people can enjoy and follow both programs. That's the elitism I was speaking of. There are some folks on this board who complain about lack of support out of one side of their mouth and then push away local fans of multiple programs away with the other side.

Oh, you poor thing. These big bad SLU-fan bullies keep you from supporting SLU on a message board, yet, oddly enough, the same bullies do not keep you from constantly defending missouri. Odd indeed.

I'd find your purported SLU fandom a bit more credible if you ever actually discussed SLU on this board outside of a context involving missouri.

One thing I have never understood about this board. Being a SLU fan or a different team's fan does not have to mutually exclusive.

That's a lie. You took shots at SLU in the recent thread when postcard posted the tv ratings.

Only after posters took shots at missouri.

I don't remember you ever saying that.

Haven't been reading this thread, then.

"-I want both SLU and Mizzou to rise to the level of perennial top 25 teams, so that a matchup like this would not only be good for St. Louis (the city, not the school) but also give both programs a chance at a nationally televised game with a rocking crowd. I think Mizzou is only one step ahead on this front because we've had one more year with our current coach. Next year will be the year where we're see if SLU can take the next step, and Mizzou can sustain this momentum."

Oh, you poor thing. These big bad SLU-fan bullies keep you from supporting SLU on a message board, yet, oddly enough, the same bullies do not keep you from constantly defending missouri. Odd indeed.

I'd find your purported SLU fandom a bit more credible if you ever actually discussed SLU on this board outside of a context involving missouri.

You try discussing SLU when the only responses you get are those like the ones from billiken_roy in this thread.

Only after posters took shots at missouri.

Ok, so you did take shots at SLU.

Haven't been reading this thread, then.

"-I want both SLU and Mizzou to rise to the level of perennial top 25 teams, so that a matchup like this would not only be good for St. Louis (the city, not the school) but also give both programs a chance at a nationally televised game with a rocking crowd. I think Mizzou is only one step ahead on this front because we've had one more year with our current coach. Next year will be the year where we're see if SLU can take the next step, and Mizzou can sustain this momentum."

I think that's a little different that just wanting SLU to be great because you are a fan of SLU. But ok.

You try discussing SLU when the only responses you get are those like the ones from billiken_roy in this thread.

Lame. Put Roy on ignore and discuss SLU hoops. Not that hard unless you don't want to discuss SLU outside of the Missouri context and/or you want to continue bickering with Roy.

QUOTE (Majerus Magic @ Feb 24 2009, 12:28 PM)

One thing I have never understood about this board. Being a SLU fan or a different team's fan does not have to be mutually exclusive.

bingo

agree

That is true, but if you are a fan of another program, it seems odd that you would come into somebody's else's house and act like a jerk. There seems to be too much of that on this board at times in my opinion.

We've played a home-and-home with Dayton since joining the A10, so hopefully the league keeps that up. They've been changing the home-and-home matchups each year and most of them don't make sense (e.g. we don't play Xavier twice this year).

I like the idea of some annual slogan like that for our rivalry games, since UD is maybe the closest thing we have to that right now. SLU and Mizzou should use Marquette and Madison for a model but the Mizzou side doesn't seem to want that (and I know it's been discussed lately and all constructive conversation about it was hijacked by SLU-bashing Mizzou fans who post here for some reason).

I would like you to show me a post bashing the bills. I bet you don't because you can't.

Anyway...about that Dayton game next year...

Go Bills. I hope we can take both the home and road games against UD next year. I'm thinking about taking my first Billiken basketball road trip for it next year.

EDIT: That is, unless we make the NIT. Then I think a road trip is in order.

I would love to play only top 50 schools all season, so long as we were able to be competitive in them. wouldn't you?

But Mizzou doesn't come close to that ideal. Mizzou plays is Big 12 games, its annual game against Illinois and then 1 or 2 more games against good competition. This year, believe you played Georgia (and Cal and X in a tournament??). Why no more games against local competition? SLU, MO State, SIUC?? In addition to our conference schedule, we have been playing games against MO State and SIUC each year, we have played home/away with Nebraska, Kent State and BC. We recognize that we need a tougher schedule are have been trying to play Memphis, Marquette, DePaul, Georgetown, Notre Dame, Mizzou and others. Dont' flatter yourself about our desire to play Mizzou. Frankly, I for one would rather play Marquette or GTown each year than your Tigers.

Mizzou, on the other hand, seems quite content with its "buy games", playing almost no one outside of Hearnes Center (except for a neutral court tourney) and then saying you beat Kansas at home. No wonder attendance is poor in Columbia.

But Mizzou doesn't come close to that ideal. Mizzou plays is Big 12 games, its annual game against Illinois and then 1 or 2 more games against good competition. This year, believe you played Georgia (and Cal and X in a tournament??). Why no more games against local competition? SLU, MO State, SIUC?? In addition to our conference schedule, we have been playing games against MO State and SIUC each year, we have played home/away with Nebraska, Kent State and BC. We recognize that we need a tougher schedule are have been trying to play Memphis, Marquette, DePaul, Georgetown, Notre Dame, Mizzou and others. Dont' flatter yourself about our desire to play Mizzou. Frankly, I for one would rather play Marquette or GTown each year than your Tigers.

Mizzou, on the other hand, seems quite content with its "buy games", playing almost no one outside of Hearnes Center (except for a neutral court tourney) and then saying you beat Kansas at home. No wonder attendance is poor in Columbia.

I would much rather play Illinois. Better program, stronger fan support. The SLU/Illinois game at the Dome drew a much bigger crowd than the SLU/Mizzou game. BTW, both of those games won by the Bills.