Observations from tonight's game

House

I don't post often, but after tonight's game I feel compelled to blow of some steam.

1) We were totally and completely outclassed tonight in regards to talent. A healthy TF would have helped, but he would not have provided anywhere close to a 30 point swing.

2) We haven't really seen this from a Billiken squad in recent history, but the showed very little heart tonight. This was an important game against a team you are tied with in the conference standings. The game had obvious seed consequences for the conference tourney and our heards were down 5 minutes into the game.

3) If Polk is not ready to step in from day one next year, we are in serious trouble. I know this is asking alot from a true frosh, but we have no other guards to handle the ball (with Fish graduating). AD can't dribble, can't pass, and his shot is entirely too inconsistent. At least in the past, we could count on his defense, but even that is lacking lately. I know he was still slightly injured tonight, but this has been evident for a few weeks. I love RB, but he scared me every time he tried to bring the ball up under pressure tonight and his inbounds passing was terrible. RB, TF and IO are capable of playing huge roles for us offensively next year, but someone has to get the ball to them. There is no one returning from this current roster capable of doing that against any pressure.

4) I have been reserving judgement on JJ and even though he missed the dunk, it was great to FINALLY see a Billiken go up strong on a post move. However, he has been practicing in this systen for two years and he still has the deer in the headlights look everytime he is on the court. I am not giving up on him yet, but I have serious concerns that he will never be the player we had hoped.

Now that I have vented, the one positive note from tonight was Fish. He was under pressure all game. He was our only guard able to handle the pressure. And as usual, he worked his butt off on defense. I know he fouled out with a lot of time left, but he was called for some weak fouls. I have never been a big fan of his, but he has been solid throughout his career and especially this year. It was good to see the crowd show him some love when he fouled out.

The most frustrating thing to me about tonight was that it appeared that the guys gave up fairly early. Am I wrong, just bitter, correct, or is the cyanide just starting to take effect....?

I hear and feel your pain as it is never easy to get hammered especially at home. Hopefully, the new recruits coming into the program will be better gifted athletically... we'll need that to compete on a more level playing field.

On your No. 4, let's remember that JJ was a transfer from K-State and not Duke. He may never turn out to be anything, but he was more or less an emergency recruit after the LoRo days. My guess is that Brad and the staff are working hard to find a 4 who could play major minutes next season.

I also will be disappointed if Polk doesn't see his share of minutes at the PG slot next year.

I thnk what House is saying is that Polk will HAVE to see ALL the minutes at point next year as there is no one else available ... bsed on House's rant. I have contended all along that the loss of Morris will not be an obvious one this year, but will be next year as Polk basically is given the keys to the engine and told to run the car.

If you listen to the pundits, most will tell you that the most key position in college basketball is the point. Without a decent point, the finishers don't get the ball. Krauser at Pitt. Duhon at Duke. Brown at Illinois. Nelson at St. Joes. Stepp at Gonzaga. Deiner at MU. Dean with UofL. Even Marshall at Dayton and Chalmers at X. The multi-headed monster at UConn. We have JFisher and while he is adequate and gives it his all, I still don't think he is a "point' in the true sense of a point. I think Dwayne will be an upgrade, but will approach it with caution as he will be a freshman .... who said the best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores ... Al McGuire?

At this point it will be interesting to see what happens IF it is true that Brad doesn't play folks until they've learned his system. I don't know who we turn to next year if its not Polk.

drejaj will be fine. let's keep in mind the last two games anthony has been playing out of necessity on a badly sprained ankle. the kid is loaded with heart and i am betting when told of his role change next year will relish in it and make the step up.

>>At this point it will be interesting to see what happens IF it is true that Brad doesn't play folks until they've learned his system. I don't know who we turn to next year if its not Polk.<<

I'm absolutely certain Anthony Drejaj will be our starting point guard at the start of next season. Brad won't start a freshman at point on day 1 (short of nuclear holocaust). However, I also have great hope that Dwayne will be playing significant minutes from day 1 which will at least give him the opportunity to wrest control of the PG position as the season progresses. As long as Dwayne plays a minimum of 15 minutes per game early in the year, I don't have a problem with that approach.

Although I too am concerned over the inconsistency of Drejaj's shot, I have never questioned his defense. The guy is definitely playing hurt right now.

Does anybody out there think that IV and JJ should have had a lot more minutes last night? The only way these guys will improve is to compete against top flight competition. There was obviously no way that we were going to come back and steal a win last night - why not let these guys play the whole game?

Soderberg has stated on numerous occasions that his goal or preference is to have the majority of his team's playing minutes going to more experienced/stronger/more mature juniors, seniors or redshirted juniors and seniors. That being said, his objective is to WIN. So if Polk gives SLU the best chance to WIN, he plays, even as a freshman. At the same time, picture Soderberg having Polk, Lidell and Meyers as juniors and seniors!

b. roy, you're right. drejaj is loaded with heart, but he also looks like he's loaded with donuts and cheeseburgers as well. for him to become close to a full-time player at the c-usa/a-10 level, he has to knock off about 15 to 20 pounds. i think some of those ankle issues have come from carrying too much extra baggage this year. watching him and ian lumber up and down the court like a couple of pillsbury doughboys against louisville's gazelles was a little unsettling for me. if he gets his weight back down and regains a little step, he should be o'kay. still not certain i want him as our full-time point guard next year, but we may not have a choice.

i heard that the foster kid from chipola is quite a player. the chipola website lists him as 6-4 and 205 pounds. that may not be a bad "alternative."

dwayne and luke go against each other on saturday. it's too bad vashon and borgia haven't met before. vashon has too much talent for this borgia team. in past years, this would have been quite a game.

bad boyz for life

> Does anybody out there think that IV and JJ should have

>had a lot more minutes last night? The only way these guys

>will improve is to compete against top flight competition.

>There was obviously no way that we were going to come back

>and steal a win last night - why not let these guys play

>the whole game?

Was thinking that too while watching it. However, I think Brad might have been hoping we could go on another shooting tear like against DePaul and that we needed guards. Even L-ville adjusted their starting line-up to go smaller and more guard oriented, bringing Whitehead off the bench. I think it was just a questions of match-ups. At least Brad didn't give up as early as the players did.