Some stats to keep this season in perspective

slufanskip

well isn't that nice.

I appreciate your optimism Skip but I agree with Saluki. Is the program in that sad of shape that we need to be happy about an 11-8 record against the 210th rated schedule while currently enjoying an RPI of 197? So maybe by the time all the frosh are seniors will boost that RPI to top 100. Wow. Next year when we lose KL and TL will we brag about how well were doing with a bunch of sophmores? 11-8 would be a nice surprise against a half decent schedule which is not close to what we've played this year.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious, but how are the Salukis doing on the recruiting front this year? Have they signed anybody worth getting excited about?

No, i think we are building around this years class and waiting for 2010 and 2011 classes in Illinois which are loaded. The 2009 class has role players I believe. We signed a 6'5" sharpshooter from Nashville, a back up point guard and a big man that probably needs a redshirt. We also ahve Tony Freeman coming in next year. He was leading scorer at Iowa last year.

I said nothing with ill intent, I was just pointing out how the 2 programs were really similar this year and how many SIU fans are unhappy with their results as well. Are you trying to be an ######?

no, what you basically posted was ....you all are content with being mediocre and we are better

If you have true freshmen playing 45% of your minutes ... you aren't doing badly. My question would be ... why do you have true freshman playing 45% of your minutes? How many years has Lowery been there? We know why we have ours playing 53% ... lack of past recruiting.

How many other teams in the country have true freshmen playing over 50% of their minutes? I don't know where to find the info, but I bet it's not many. Of those that do, how many are doing better than we are? again, I bet it's not many.

Why can't we just watch our very young team grow and enjoy the ride?

no, what you basically posted was ....you all are content with being mediocre and we are better

If you have true freshmen playing 45% of your minutes ... you aren't doing badly. My question would be ... why do you have true freshman playing 45% of your minutes? How many years has Lowery been there? We know why we have ours playing 53% ... lack of past recruiting.

Forgive the ###### question I deleted it, not fast enough I guess.

It is a combo of bad recruiting the past 3 years as well as the strength of our freshman class, I am in the camp that Lowery hasn't been doing a good enough job but he really appears to be improving. If no one bolts after this season I think CLO has made improvements. If we lose someone else, we may be wishing he had left for a BCS job after the last sweet 16.

We have 5 freshman in the top 8 by minutes played.

I guarantee you that all 5 of our freshmen will be better as sophs.

Again, Duquense is a younger team than SLU and they are doing just fine this year with those young players. And I bet their fresh and sophs will be better next year also. As will Dayton, Temple and Xavier's. The optimism of your posts does not reflect the reality that is SLU basketball.

How many other teams in the country have true freshmen playing over 50% of their minutes? I don't know where to find the info, but I bet it's not many. Of those that do, how many are doing better than we are? again, I bet it's not many.

Why can't we just watch our very young team grow and enjoy the ride?

I couldn't agree more. Majerus took over a moribund program les than 24 months ago and people are expecting miracles. We just beat out Wake Forest for a very promising recruit out of Australia. We grabbed a Kansas guard averaging over 30 points per game away from K State. We have the last year's Gatorade player of the year from Wisconsin running the point for us. Point being, our recruiting is at a level it never has been. The wins will come. I have no doubt in my mind. I think that if in two years we aren't winning 20 games a year and among the top 3-4 teams in conference then the investment in Majerus can be questioned.

I am not a shill for the program. I have thought all along we were all to satisfied with mediocrity, but we have to give things a chance to develop.

For those of you that say true freshmen are regularly called on to contribute in college basketball, I understand where you are coming from. However, those that have a truly huge impact are blue chip players that are few and far between. Look at Scott Suggs. He was considered an elite recruit, and will probably still wind up being a stud, but as of right now he is averaging 1.2 points per game.

My oint being that I think we see and here about a few stud freshmen each year (Durant, Oden, Beasley, Mayo) or any of the McDonald's All-Mericans that litter the rosters of the Dukes and UNCs of the world, and assume that it is the rule that freshmen make big contributions everywhere instead of the exception.

As far as our freshmen go, I am more excited about Kwamain Mitchell than I have been with any freshmen we have had since Larry Hughes

But how would Suggs do at SLU against our schedule? I would tend to think that he would have a greater impact here. But your general point is well taken.

I couldn't agree more. Majerus took over a moribund program les than 24 months ago and people are expecting miracles. We just beat out Wake Forest for a very promising recruit out of Australia. We grabbed a Kansas guard averaging over 30 points per game away from K State. We have the last year's Gatorade player of the year from Wisconsin running the point for us. Point being, our recruiting is at a level it never has been. The wins will come. I have no doubt in my mind. I think that if in two years we aren't winning 20 games a year and among the top 3-4 teams in conference then the investment in Majerus can be questioned.

I am not a shill for the program. I have thought all along we were all to satisfied with mediocrity, but we have to give things a chance to develop.

A moribound program that won 20 games? And turned it into one that may have a losing record this year? You can talk all day about how good things look on paper as far as recruiting but results on the court matter and this year has not been pretty. Nothing wrong with saying Majerus has recruited well but has not coached well so far.

A moribound program that won 20 games? And turned it into one that may have a losing record this year? You can talk all day about how good things look on paper as far as recruiting but results on the court matter and this year has not been pretty. Nothing wrong with saying Majerus has recruited well but has not coached well so far.

players play

Again, Duquense is a younger team than SLU and they are doing just fine this year with those young players. And I bet their fresh and sophs will be better next year also. As will Dayton, Temple and Xavier's. The optimism of your posts does not reflect the reality that is SLU basketball.

Freshmen play 30% of the Dukes minutes. There is a big difference between Freshmen and Sophs. I'll stick with my optimism, you keep on complaining

Freshmen play 30% of the Dukes minutes. There is a big difference between Freshmen and Sophs. I'll stick with my optimism, you keep on complaining

Damn you skip, always the optimist. I bet everyone eats rainbow covered cupcakes and has strawberry shortcake dreams in your world.

Is the program in that sad of shape that we need to be happy about an 11-8 record against the 210th rated schedule while currently enjoying an RPI of 197?

Yes, the program is in sad shape. Majerus inherited 2 good players, 2-3 decent players and a bunch of bums last year and turned in a winning record. This year he has 2 good players and a TON OF FRESHMEN and will probably turn it into a winning record. Next year he will have 1 Junior, 5 Sophomores and 5 Freshman, 1 of whom redshirted. And at least 3 or 4 of those sophomores will be well on their way to being, if not already, good players. We hear potentially even better things about our incoming freshmen. I don't get how you guys don't get it, honestly. I mean this is like getting in a fairly major car accident and being expected to run a half-marathon a week later. Don't get me wrong, I think Majerus could do some things differently to get a little bit more out of the guys for the time being, but he has recruited beyond ANYONE'S expectations, I think, and history has shown that he can right ships through his superior coaching, though this one has been slower than most. For God's sake, have a little patience. For the time being, enjoy that the play IS more exciting this year than it has been in a long time, and that's thanks solely to Mr. Willie Reed and Mr. Kwamain Mitchell. It's only going to get better. Sure they shoot like clowns but Majerus' shooter was a crybaby and quit and we've got two more coming in next year. I'm not directing this at only Postcard, but somehow the quoted statement above flat-out belies reasonable expectations to me.

I'm out and the booze will be flowing in 2.5 hours for Dayton, regardless of whether we get destroyed or make a game of it. See you in the GDT, you sockcuckers. :P

There is also a big difference between sophmores and Seniors. You seem to focus entirely on the fact that SLU has alot of freshman and then want to ignore the fact that their are 3 seniors. What percentage of minutes are played by seniors of both teams?

There is also a big difference between sophmores and Seniors. You seem to focus entirely on the fact that SLU has alot of freshman and then want to ignore the fact that their are 3 seniors. What percentage of minutes are played by seniors of both teams?

Yes, the program is in sad shape. Majerus inherited 2 good players, 2-3 decent players and a bunch of bums last year and turned in a winning record. This year he has 2 good players and a TON OF FRESHMEN and will probably turn it into a winning record. Next year he will have 1 Junior, 5 Sophomores and 5 Freshman, 1 of whom redshirted. And at least 3 or 4 of those sophomores will be well on their way to being, if not already, good players. We hear potentially even better things about our incoming freshmen. I don't get how you guys don't get it, honestly. I mean this is like getting in a fairly major car accident and being expected to run a half-marathon a week later. Don't get me wrong, I think Majerus could do some things differently to get a little bit more out of the guys for the time being, but he has recruited beyond ANYONE'S expectations, I think, and history has shown that he can right ships through his superior coaching, though this one has been slower than most. For God's sake, have a little patience. For the time being, enjoy that the play IS more exciting this year than it has been in a long time, and that's thanks solely to Mr. Willie Reed and Mr. Kwamain Mitchell. It's only going to get better. Sure they shoot like clowns but Majerus' shooter was a crybaby and quit and we've got two more coming in next year. I'm not directing this at only Postcard, but somehow the quoted statement above flat-out belies reasonable expectations to me.

I'm out and the booze will be flowing in 2.5 hours for Dayton, regardless of whether we get destroyed or make a game of it. See you in the GDT, you sockcuckers. :P

See ya. Drink lots.

You seem to forget that Duquesne is 4-2 in conference because their 4 wins are over the 4 worst conference teams!!! Although the non conference wins against High Point, St Francis Pennsylvania, and Robert Morris are very impressive. They had 3 very tough non conf games (Duke, Pitt, West Virginia) and lost them all. The rest of their non conference looks like Notre Dame's football schedule.

Oh and did anyone take into account that perhaps Aaron Jackson has put his team on his back, unlike our seniors. Shooting 54% from the field and 38% from 3. All while averaging 17 ppg.

So we can end the Duquesne comparisons, please.

I like posting things three times.

What specifically did some of you expect from our million dollar coach? Seriously, I am curious. It's very apparent by many that they expected more. I get that. But, what specifically did people expect.

Can those of you who expected more please give me a bulleted list of things you expected of this team with our million dollar coach? If you say wins, how many? Again, just curious.

You seem to forget that Duquesne is 4-2 in conference because their 4 wins are over the 4 worst conference teams!!! Although the non conference wins against High Point, St Francis Pennsylvania, and Robert Morris are very impressive. They had 3 very tough non conf games (Duke, Pitt, West Virginia) and lost them all. The rest of their non conference looks like Notre Dame's football schedule.

Oh and did anyone take into account that perhaps Aaron Jackson has put his team on his back, unlike our seniors. Shooting 54% from the field and 38% from 3. All while averaging 17 ppg.

So we can end the Duquesne comparisons, please.

They have played a tougher schedule than SLU and they have won way more games including several road wins. SLU couldn't even beat Detroit Mercy on the road. There s no comparison right now Duquense is clearly a much better team by any objective measure. The question is should they be when they are actually younger than SLU?