Willie Reed

davidnark

I think the kid can best be described as a "Pogo-Stick on No-Doz." I can't wait to see him play some more.

Willie could be an absolute star for this team in a couple years. Add some muscle, game experience, an outside shot, etc. and he will be terrific. He is already providing a great spark off the bench but teams will soon scout him and the easy baskets he's gotten will be better defended and they'll know to put their best rebounder on him. Still, I absolutely love the energy he provides right now.

Gotta wonder if maybe he should start for two reasons; 1) we may never win a tip without him 2) he tires pretty easily so why not get him on the floor as soon as possible so that he can take breaks more often and thus see the court more.

Gotta wonder if maybe he should start for two reasons; 1) we may never win a tip without him 2) he tires pretty easily so why not get him on the floor as soon as possible so that he can take breaks more often and thus see the court more.

I agree with the benefit of him taking the tip, but the bigger benefit comes from utilizing his energy and athleticism 5 minutes into the game when the opposing team's starters are winded or he can face undersized or less athletic backups.

I agree with the benefit of him taking the tip, but the bigger benefit comes from utilizing his energy and athleticism 5 minutes into the game when the opposing team's starters are winded or he can face undersized or less athletic backups.

He certainly does add spark off the bench but anyone who knows anything about the beatings centers give

and take over a game has to realize the job BT is doing for us as a freshman. Many times in this game we

controlled not only the boards but the entire inside cirlcel of 10-12 feet from the basket; Conklin, BT, and

either TL. KM, or a thrid player had the opposition way away from the basket.

He certainly does add spark off the bench but anyone who knows anything about the beatings centers give

and take over a game has to realize the job BT is doing for us as a freshman. Many times in this game we

controlled not only the boards but the entire inside cirlcel of 10-12 feet from the basket; Conklin, BT, and

either TL. KM, or a thrid player had the opposition way away from the basket.

Completely agree. I thought BT played an outstanding game.

Yes, there was no doubt why Trapani did not shine in this game-his space was eaten up. Willie worked harder than any of our other bigs to keep his defense at their performance level. Conklin is more showee

than BT because he runs faster and repositions himself more often. However, Willie showed excellent offensive skills even slightly further out from the basket-six feet or so instead of his usual 3-4 feet; but where Willie has really performed and Conklin and BT and BE is free throws. These are the best free throw shooting bigs we have seen in years. So if the opposition want to hack Willie, let them they will pay at the line.

Agree with just about everything said in this thread. Those around me at the game yesterday were saying that Willie needs to be starting soon. I completely disagree. For thing, he still needs to improve his stamina a little bit, and like Nark said Willie can come in, go all out for a few minutes jumping over guys who are on the floor for longer stints, then take a seat and get rested so that he can go do it again.

20 minutes is the maximum that Reed will probably play this year in a single contest. He needs to get in better shape. His energy is perfect for off the bench as a change of pace. Right now Thompson and reed really complement each other in the post.

"Teams will soon scout him and the easy baskets he's gotten will be better defended and they'll know to put their best rebounder on him".

I don't know if you can scout or defend what Willie is doing. What Willie is doing is taking advantage of opportunities created by KM,KL, & TL.

The price teams pay for overplaying our guards is leaving our young bigs free to roam the interior. 5 out of 8 shots missed by Tommie in the 1st half were were either rebounded by Reed (3) or Conklin(2). These 5 offensive rebounds directly led to 8 points. 4 by Conklin, 2 by Reed, and 2 by Mitchell as Reed had 3 offensive rebounds off of a Tommie missed fg which led to a short jumpshot by KM.

I like what BT is doing also, he was very sound with the ball and his passing. He is providing a presence in the lane along with Reed. One can easily overlook his contribution if your not paying attention but he has been a huge upgrade compared to last year post players.

I don't know if you can scout or defend what Willie is doing. What Willie is doing is taking advantage of opportunities created by KM,KL, & TL.

The price teams pay for overplaying our guards is leaving our young bigs free to roam the interior. 5 out of 8 shots missed by Tommie in the 1st half were were either rebounded by Reed (3) or Conklin(2). These 5 offensive rebounds directly led to 8 points. 4 by Conklin, 2 by Reed, and 2 by Mitchell as Reed had 3 offensive rebounds off of a Tommie missed fg which led to a short jumpshot by KM.

Which points up the fact that Tommie should attack the basket more. It draws the defense to him and either the shot goes in or we have a great chance at an offensive rebound. This Billikens team is strong on the offensive glass with mobile, active bigs in Reed and Conklin.

20 minutes is the maximum that Reed will probably play this year in a single contest. He needs to get in better shape. His energy is perfect for off the bench as a change of pace. Right now Thompson and reed really complement each other in the post.

Coach Moser said in the postgame show, that Willie can only play about 3 minutes at a time at this point. He has a lot of work to do on his stamina and that comes from not playing much over the last year.

Willie will see plenty of time this year. Even with young guys, it's nice to have some depth for the first time in close to ten years.

I keep saying, WOW! -- in short bursts, Reed is probably the most exciting freshman big we have seen in my time here at SLU. Maybe the most exciting anyone--apologies to Marque Perry, up to now the most exciting (Larry was the year before I arrived). Reed's arms are, like, REALLY long. His hands are so soft; he gets tips and blocks on plays where he hardly even jumps. Yes, the big boy at BC was pushing him around like a rag doll at times. But he has excellent quickness for a big guy. How tall is he going to end up, anyway? what if he lifts weights for the next 2 years--what is this guy going to be like as a junior? He keeps the ball high and tips to himself pretty well--I am trying to think of who he reminds me of and am drawing a blank. Will I get hammered on here if I mention Robert Parrish??

The others are great: in particular Conklin looks like a 10-10 guy for the next 4 years, and Mitchell, well, obviously we have some talent. But for sheer gosh-darned excitement, and crowd-pleasing-- this is great stuff so far.

in case I am not being clear-- this guy, as they say, has tremendous "upside."

I repeat: WOW!

I keep saying, WOW! -- in short bursts, Reed is probably the most exciting freshman big we have seen in my time here at SLU. Maybe the most exciting anyone--apologies to Marque Perry, up to now the most exciting (Larry was the year before I arrived). Reed's arms are, like, REALLY long. His hands are so soft; he gets tips and blocks on plays where he hardly even jumps. Yes, the big boy at BC was pushing him around like a rag doll at times. But he has excellent quickness for a big guy. How tall is he going to end up, anyway? what if he lifts weights for the next 2 years--what is this guy going to be like as a junior? He keeps the ball high and tips to himself pretty well--I am trying to think of who he reminds me of and am drawing a blank. Will I get hammered on here if I mention Robert Parrish??

The others are great: in particular Conklin looks like a 10-10 guy for the next 4 years, and Mitchell, well, obviously we have some talent. But for sheer gosh-darned excitement, and crowd-pleasing-- this is great stuff so far.

in case I am not being clear-- this guy, as they say, has tremendous "upside."

I repeat: WOW!

It is great to read these reports re the freshmen.

SLU's win over Boston College was important on multiple levels. SLU made the Boston Globe on Sunday. The positive publicity is important to the growth of the program.