Daniel Lisch now a Billiken

why should he have walked on? it makes absolutely no sense the lisch's shold have just bucked up $160,000 so daniel could be a walkon at slu instead of taking a scholarship offer elsewhere.

Roy, if every kid has that same attitude SLU will never get a quality walk-on again. Any player of quality (i.e. can contribute a lot to practice and may actually contribute in games) is going to have options to play D2 or D3 at little to no cost. Lets just hope your view is in the minority and some kids choose to be a walk-on because they want to go to SLU AND play basketball.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Roy, if every kid has that same attitude SLU will never get a quality walk-on again. Any player of quality (i.e. can contribute a lot to practice and may actually contribute in games) is going to have options to play D2 or D3 at little to no cost. Lets just hope your view is in the minority and some kids choose to be a walk-on because they want to go to SLU AND play basketball.

there is a reason we rarely have any quality walk ons. to find an eckerle or john redden like student athlete that can qualify for both athletic and academic money is rare. to expect a kid to just come to slu and pay to play when he has other options isnt likely.

Roy. can you pick me up some of that east side weed you are smoking. On this side of the river, we like our elite players to score in double figures. There is no way he should be on the all=metro team. He doesn't even live in the metro area. No one gives a ###### about what happens on the other side of the river. They are all crazies like you. The only thing that side of the river is good for is weed and strippers.

Roy. can you pick me up some of that east side weed you are smoking. On this side of the river, we like our elite players to score in double figures. There is no way he should be on the all=metro team. He doesn't even live in the metro area. No one gives a ###### about what happens on the other side of the river. They are all crazies like you. The only thing that side of the river is good for is weed and strippers.

Heres what we do Roy you pick 12 east side players and Nate picks twelve MO players then they scrimmage each other with ROy and nate as the respective coaches.

I find your statement that Daniel had a full ride at Fontbonne puzzling. Fontbonne is a D3 school and unable to offer athletic scholarships. If Daniel was in fact offered a full academice scholarship (which would be very rare ) then I would think he could have had a substantial academic scholarship at SLU as well. My opinion is that he is being brought in as a practice player for a year, with the hope of improving his game enough to garner interest from other schools. Maybe he will surprise us. I certainly would never rule out a Lisch.

As an outside observer who doesn't have any first hand knowledge of the situation, this assessment seems spot on to me and makes a lot of sense. Factor in that this is Kevin's senior year and he will have Daniel with him on the team and it strikes me as a tremendously sensible move (assuming that the scholly wasn't going to be used)

why should he have walked on? it makes absolutely no sense the lisch's shold have just bucked up $160,000 so daniel could be a walkon at slu instead of taking a scholarship offer elsewhere.

as to your seeing daniel for the one game, so he was knocked off the team because you saw him outplayed in a game vs ruben (arguably one of the 2-3 best players in the area and by all accounts just a fabulous offensive player) in a game that alton needed to win to have a shot at possibly tying for the league championship and the opposing coach keyed on daniel.

ok.

Roy, do you believe Daniel would have been offered a scholarship had he not been Kevin's brother?

When the coaches in his own conference only name him 3rd team all conference, it doesn't seem that far fetched that he would be left off of an all metro team ... even honorable mention, especially when his stats certainly don't jump out at you. Naming him 3rd team would insinuate to me that the coaches in his own conference don't think as highly of his intangibles as you do.

All this tells us is RM is done recruiting for anyone coming in in 08 and giving the scholarship to a practice player. Its a no lose situation for RM. He knows Daniel Lisch is going to work his tail off in practice and be a good influence on the other players. If he surprises people and can contribute in games he'll keep the scholarship. If not, I'll bet he hasn't been promised a 4 year deal. RM even said in the press release scholarships are renewable each year. I'm sure Daniel thinks he can show he has enough to stay on scholarship and I wouldn't bet against him.

Heres what we do Roy you pick 12 east side players and Nate picks twelve MO players then they scrimmage each other with ROy and nate as the respective coaches.

I have a feeling Roy would be like Homer in this one episode of the Simpsons. Everyone knows Nelson is the teams best quarterback but Homer is so blinded by his love for Bart that he benches Nelson and makes Bart the starting QB much to everyones chagrin. Roy loves Daniel Lisch so much that he would design every play for him and personally see to his after game rubdown :angry:

The best part of that Simpsons episode was when Homer announced all of those standing in front of him had made the team--and the kids cheered wildly....then he pointed at a few individually and said: "except for you, you, and you".

Good stuff.

I think us Billiken Boarders are missing the obvious story within the story: Next asst coaching hire....Russell "Rusty" Lisch.

(and Rachel Diener better rent, not own, because Teresa will be graduating before you know it)

All this tells us is RM is done recruiting for anyone coming in in 08 and giving the scholarship to a practice player.

While you are probably right, we did have 2 scholarships to give so there could always be one more late signing or transfer...but I'm not holding my breath.

Roy, do you believe Daniel would have been offered a scholarship had he not been Kevin's brother?

When the coaches in his own conference only name him 3rd team all conference, it doesn't seem that far fetched that he would be left off of an all metro team ... even honorable mention, especially when his stats certainly don't jump out at you. Naming him 3rd team would insinuate to me that the coaches in his own conference don't think as highly of his intangibles as you do.

Skip, Roy won't respond. He knows he has made an ass of himself and everyone has grown tired of his bully antics.

isnt it unbelieveable. especially since nate assured us earlier this year that daniel wasnt good enough to be on the all metro team and definitely not good enough to be on a division one roster with a scholarship. good for daniel.

while it is just for a year, the difference between this and what mitchell and relephorde got is that they were never told up front this is only a one year deal. assuming daniel redshirts, he still will have a four year career elsewhere on his terms.

What's unbelieveable is that you're trying to use something like this as yet another cheap shot at Nate. Good for Daniel if he's a hard worker, but this might be your silliest post ever.

Skip, Roy won't respond. He knows he has made an ass of himself and everyone has grown tired of his bully antics.

Though I disagree with Roy, I'm sure he's just tiring of the argument. I don't see how he bullies anyone one. He like the rest of us, just believes he is right and tries to make his points. No need to make it personal, we have enough posters who go there and far to frequently

I have a feeling Roy would be like Homer in this one episode of the Simpsons. Everyone knows Nelson is the teams best quarterback but Homer is so blinded by his love for Bart that he benches Nelson and makes Bart the starting QB much to everyones chagrin. Roy loves Daniel Lisch so much that he would design every play for him and personally see to his after game rubdown :lol:

f you postjerk. you are still the dick and you do not have permission to make jokes at my expense.

f you postjerk. you are still the dick and you do not have permission to make jokes at my expense.

Huh? I need permission from you to post on the board? Go back to working on you "I Heart Danny Lisch" sequined tee shirt that you'll be wearing to next years games.