Kramer Soderberg

What about the potential of Brad taking over at Miami soon? I know Charlie Coles has had some health problems recently and many speculated he'd step down after this past season. I could see Coles retiring during or after this season, based on how his health holds up, and Brad coming in next spring. Miami's the kind of school he'd do well at, and the job would come pre-loaded with his son and his former assistant.

Granted, this is just a far-off possibility right now. If all the assistants are Miami grads, it could be a tough bunch to leap over for an outsider like Brad.

Why would you say this? Have you ever seen him play? Kramer, dominated HS basketball in this area, has tremendous ball skills, and is an outstanding shooter. Recently I heard Ryan Robertson comment about Kramer, and he stated, that he has the most fundamentally sound shooting form that he has ever seen. I'm tired of all of the sterotypical comments about how he isn't quick enough. You don't score 25 points a game while being double teamed, with out having good quicknesss. Additionaly many on this board underesimate the importance of having SKILL. I've seen many quick athletes who were never very good basketball players.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you say this? Have you ever seen him play? Kramer, dominated HS basketball in this area, has tremendous ball skills, and is an outstanding shooter. Recently I heard Ryan Robertson comment about Kramer, and he stated, that he has the most fundamentally sound shooting form that he has ever seen. I'm tired of all of the sterotypical comments about how he isn't quick enough. You don't score 25 points a game while being double teamed, with out having good quicknesss. Additionaly many on this board underesimate the importance of having SKILL. I've seen many quick athletes who were never very good basketball players.

What are you talking about? You're replying to a statement no one made. How is my post about Coles' health and the long-term possibility of Brad getting a shot at the Miami job a knock on Kramer's skills? I encourage you to go back and read my post. It had nothing to do with Kramer, except that I thought Brad would do well at Miami if Coles in fact did retire soon, and therefore he could be coaching his son.

I think, and always have, that Kramer has fantastic ability and the only possibly negative thing I could say about him is that he is a little small and a little short. Despite those facts, he is absolutely a DI talent and would have been a lock for a big-time program if he were 3 inches taller.

What are you talking about? You're replying to a statement no one made. How is my post about Coles' health and the long-term possibility of Brad getting a shot at the Miami job a knock on Kramer's skills? I encourage you to go back and read my post. It had nothing to do with Kramer, except that I thought Brad would do well at Miami if Coles in fact did retire soon, and therefore he could be coaching his son.

I think, and always have, that Kramer has fantastic ability and the only possibly negative thing I could say about him is that he is a little small and a little short. Despite those facts, he is absolutely a DI talent and would have been a lock for a big-time program if he were 3 inches taller.

Brian, reading comprehension has never been a strongpoint of this board. Am sure KS will do just fine at MU. UB may have a leg up on others for the MU job should Coles be unable to coach, but not a lock just because his son is there. I know you didn't imply that. Again, UB has to jump back into the fray soon, or he's gonna' go the way of the buggy whip.

Brian, reading comprehension has never been a strongpoint of this board. Am sure KS will do just fine at MU. UB may have a leg up on others for the MU job should Coles be unable to coach, but not a lock just because his son is there. I know you didn't imply that. Again, UB has to jump back into the fray soon, or he's gonna' go the way of the buggy whip.

72, I'll agree with every word of that post except the first one.

I'm sorry my post was directed toward A-Bombs comments... I clicked on the wrong post by accident. I agree with your comments.

LOL. huh?

I think A-bomb was talking about Brad.

Yeah I was talking about Brad. I don't know about Kramer. I see the key skills a Head Coach must have are: Game Preparation, Recruiting, Game Coaching and Ambassador of the Program. I think Brad was average to above average in Game prep, game coaching however he was way below average in Recruiting and Ambassador for the program. A few years ago they had "Mid-day Madness" in the Quad with the basketball team. Brad barely talked to anyone it was strange because a few months earlier I had met Kelvin Sampson, Sherri Coale and Bob Stoops and each of them had the salemenship skill for their program (ethical faults aside for KS). Lorenzo was an awesome representative. You have to be able to win over fans, donors etc, inspire people with an excitement for the program. I bet Lou Fusz sales went down while Brad was around.

So what I'm saying is it maybe the Peter Principle with Brad. He got one too many promotions and he is passed his ceiling in skill level.

Anyway that's history. We need some new stuff to talk about.

Mike Jarvis will be the next head coach at FAU.

It is highly unlikely that Brad Soderberg will be the next head coach at Miami. My speculation ;) is the next head coach will be current #1 assistant Jermaine Henderson. Coles will coach no more than one more year, 2008-09, and then retire to take a position in the athletic department. There is no deal whatsoever that Brad becomes the coach for Miami to land Kramer. The two are mutually exclusive. My understanding is Kramer was highly impressed with the school over a two day visit in April and that sealed the deal. Kramer has a 78 rating from ESPN/Scout for those familiar with their rating system. #43 ranked PG in the class on 2008 per ESPN/Scout. Dave Telep of Scout has an article up today regarding Kramer's signing with Miami University.

What about the potential of Brad taking over at Miami soon? I know Charlie Coles has had some health problems recently and many speculated he'd step down after this past season. I could see Coles retiring during or after this season, based on how his health holds up, and Brad coming in next spring. Miami's the kind of school he'd do well at, and the job would come pre-loaded with his son and his former assistant.

Granted, this is just a far-off possibility right now. If all the assistants are Miami grads, it could be a tough bunch to leap over for an outsider like Brad.

I wasn't thinking Brad would get the miami job, just that the MAC is the kind of conference where he should be.

Guest BillikenReport

I'm hearing that he's destined for Central Missouri State, joining a local class that already include Sanijay Watts and Zach Redel.

Didn't you say Watts would be a D-1 player?

Watts had several D1 offers, but didnt meet the academic requirements to transfer to a D1 institution. Didn't you say Anthony James wouldn't be a D1 player?

fight. fight. fight. fight.

Guest BillikenReport

Watts had several D1 offers, but didnt meet the academic requirements to transfer to a D1 institution. Didn't you say Anthony James wouldn't be a D1 player?

I did say I didn't think James would be. He proved me wrong.

I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong.

So I'll take that one time compared to your history of touting kids who weren't as D-1 players.

One of the problems lies with these supposed credible sources/experts. The "experts" don't have enough faith in the local talent. I remember a list that STLHI posted for the c/o 2009. He named about 10 players who he felt had the potential to land at a D1 school. Nate, I think you only agreed with maybe 3-5 kids. Nate this is not a shot at you, but that's an awfully low number & the STL metro area has probably never had a number that low.

If the experts won't give the kids a chance, how can we expect college coaches to do so? The local 16U and 15U teams have been extremely successful this Spring. However, you can't find an article mentioning them on scout.com, rivalshoops.com, etc. Meanwhile, I'm constantly reading about a host of Kansas City players. The scouts/experts in the KC area pump/hype up their kids early and often. Nobody throws IT in their face if they are wrong in their evaluation.

Many were convinced that Dustin Maguire was much better than Bobby Hill (LOL!!). Many rejected Josh Harrellson because he only held an offer from Western Illinois in the Fall. Many did not see enough in Leon Powell. Many thought Eckerle was going to be limited to the scout team.

I love when a sleeper gets his time to shine, but players like Anthony James should have never been sleepers in the first place.

In conclusion, GIVE THE KIDS A CHANCE. IF WE DON'T...WHO ELSE WILL?

Guest BillikenReport

Actually, stlsfinest, I predicted there would be about 15 St. Louis area kids from the Class of 2009 going to D-1 schools because this was one of the deeper groups to have come out of the area in a while. (I even talked about this on a radio a couple times.)

That group also includes Ron Waller, who was committed to a D-1 school. I didn't think James would go D-1 and he got two or three offers. I also thought Sean Rakers could be a mid-major D-1 prospect and he ended up going to a lower level school.

- Nate

Here's the link.

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?s...t=0&start=0

What really happened is I gave a list of 15 players from 2009 who I thought would be D1 grades permitting. You said, there were 3 for sure and two others that probably would be D1. In hindsight you probably want to expand your number. Please post the link where you stated there were about 15 kids from 2009 that would go D1 and that it was one of the deeper classes. And at the time when the thread was created Waller hadn't even left for Milestone Academy yet.

Guest BillikenReport

Here's the link.

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.php?s...t=0&start=0

What really happened is I gave a list of 15 players from 2009 who I thought would be D1 grades permitting. You said, there were 3 for sure and two others that probably would be D1. In hindsight you probably want to expand your number. Please post the link where you stated there were about 15 kids from 2009 that would go D1 and that it was one of the deeper classes. And at the time when the thread was created Waller hadn't even left for Milestone Academy yet.

I was talking about 2008. That's why I mentioned Ron Waller and Sean Rakers, who are both seniors.

That 2009 list is not very impressive. I still don't think there are very many D-1 kids in that group.

I was talking about 2008. That's why I mentioned Ron Waller and Sean Rakers, who are both seniors.

That 2009 list is not very impressive. I still don't think there are very many D-1 kids in that group.

Do you still stand by your stance that there are 3 for sure and two probables? Thats a total of 5

Griffey has already committed to Illinois

You stated that Lonnie Boga has at least one D1 offer

Bryant Allen has offers

Richard Anderson is definitely a D1 recruit

Thats 4 guys.

Between Gavin Wiss, Will Clark, Jerome Jones, Ben Hoener, and Sean Duff; at least two of them will get D1 offers, bringing us to a total of at least 6 and you will be wrong. I gave a grades permitting disclaimer also. This area will NEVER produce a number as low as 5 D1 recruits, EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On another note, Nate you do an excellent job covering the area, making it to games and your work with billikenreport.com. What you do is very good for the area and you are one of the hardest workers. I dont think you truly understand the influence you have and how it can be critical to changing the lives of these young men. Under the assumption that you talk to college coaches and scouts, you can help get some of these players names out early and often. On the other side of the state Kansas City is fortunate enough to have Eric Bossi, Tom Tietze, and Jerry Mullen covering their prospects throughout the year and to various AAU tournaments and the nearby Jayhawk shootout where annually several new names are added to the scout.com database from that area. You can be to Saint Louis what those guys are to that area. I understand that you have the opportunity and not obligation to do so, but its something to think about. With your tenured reputation in the area and scout.com as a platform, there are limitless possibilities. While we will never agree on most prospects, I do respect your opinion. None of my comments are intended as a personal attack on you. And as feel free to contact me as you have in the past if you have any questions/concerns.