What did "bernie" do for Josh Harrellson?

So, obviously, I'm not a SLU guy, but I see people mentioning that "Bernie" did something that helped Josh in some way.....what was that?

mm

Bernie Miklasz is the assistant editor/editor of the local newspaper (St. Louis Post Dispatch), columnist and radio/sports talk show host who used his position, power and contacts to bring attention and shame WIU into providing Josh with a full release from WIU. One week later, Josh received his release. Ever since his arrival, Bernie and Majerus became friends and some thought Bernie did this to help Majerus as much as Josh.

Curious. How well did Billy G. this year recruiting other than landing Josh this Spring?

Bernie Miklasz is the assistant editor/editor of the local newspaper (St. Louis Post Dispatch), columnist and radio/sports talk show host who used his position, power and contacts to bring attention and shame WIU into providing Josh with a full release from WIU. One week later, Josh received his release. Ever since his arrival, Bernie and Majerus became friends and some thought Bernie did this to help Majerus as much as Josh.

Curious. How well did Billy G. this year recruiting other than landing Josh this Spring?

Gillispie signed DeAndre Liggins, the #28 recruit on Rivals list. He is a 6-5 guard from Chicago. 6-6 Darius Miller, the #43 player, is a small forward from Kentucky. He also signed a 6-6 junior college forward in Kevin Galloway, who chose Kentucky over offers from Memphis, Tennessee, Oklahoma, etc.

I'm sorry, but I can't agree with that. I sat with Derek Thomas (WIU's former coach) for the past three weekends and had many a long conversation about Josh well before that article was written.

The reason WIU kept Josh to his LOI the first year was cause he told WIU so late that he wasn't coming. There was no way they could fill that scholarship. Derek also felt that Josh was "tampered" with by some other programs.....

There was NO way that the new coach was going to hold Josh to his LOI for the second year. If he had, he would not have been able to use that scholarship on a new player.....meaning he would have only 12 scholarship players instead of 13. What new coach would want to hold a kid to an LOI that he never recruited and never has a chance to have play.....none.

WIU would have been releasing Josh to go elsewhere regardless of any article written. It would have made no sense to try to hold him to his LOI another year and forfeit the scholarship.....the new coach had no intention of doing that.

So, while it's nice that local media support the cause, it was not the reason Josh got released. Josh was going to be released long before the date on that article......

mm

top 15 class for 08 with another ride to use perhaps......

Also got verbals from 2010 #8 player in the nation, Jon Hood, 2010 #39 (and rising) player will be announcing for UK soon, 2011 top player, Vinny Zollo will verbal monday, GJ Vilarino, a top PG in 2009, KC Ross Miller, a top PG in 2010 and Dakotah Euton and top player from 2010 are also committed.

He had a pretty good year on the recruiting trail.

I'm sorry, but I can't agree with that. I sat with Derek Thomas (WIU's former coach) for the past three weekends and had many a long conversation about Josh well before that article was written.

The reason WIU kept Josh to his LOI the first year was cause he told WIU so late that he wasn't coming. There was no way they could fill that scholarship. Derek also felt that Josh was "tampered" with by some other programs.....

There was NO way that the new coach was going to hold Josh to his LOI for the second year. If he had, he would not have been able to use that scholarship on a new player.....meaning he would have only 12 scholarship players instead of 13. What new coach would want to hold a kid to an LOI that he never recruited and never has a chance to have play.....none.

WIU would have been releasing Josh to go elsewhere regardless of any article written. It would have made no sense to try to hold him to his LOI another year and forfeit the scholarship.....the new coach had no intention of doing that.

So, while it's nice that local media support the cause, it was not the reason Josh got released. Josh was going to be released long before the date on that article......

mm

Yeah um if that were the case why did they grant Josh a conditional release and not a full release? Also why would the AD wait until his e-mail inbox and phone lines were flooded with messages about the whole affair before doing anything? Finally, I am also pretty sure that WIU will not use all of their scholarships again this season.

Yeah um if that were the case why did they grant Josh a conditional release and not a full release? Also why would the AD wait until his e-mail inbox and phone lines were flooded with messages about the whole affair before doing anything? Finally, I am also pretty sure that WIU will not use all of their scholarships again this season.

The proof will be in the pudding there. Why did they wait so late in the game to let him go after one year if they weren't at least entertaining the idea of holding him back? Seemed like they were going to continue to be spiteful to me. It's WIU, it's not like they have a lot to lose by screwing this kid over.

Kentucky seems like they are on the rise. They got helped into the tourney this year by the name on the front of their jersey. The SEC was WEAK last year, and they got pummeled in non-conference.

mm

So where is the logic in that? If you are going to release a kid, and know you are going to release him, why wait so long to do it? Why run the risk of a Bernie writing an article that makes you look petty and spiteful? If it was truly a done deal to release JH before that article happened then there is no reason whatsoever to not do it immediately.

top 15 class for 08 with another ride to use perhaps......

Also got verbals from 2010 #8 player in the nation, Jon Hood, 2010 #39 (and rising) player will be announcing for UK soon, 2011 top player, Vinny Zollo will verbal monday, GJ Vilarino, a top PG in 2009, KC Ross Miller, a top PG in 2010 and Dakotah Euton and top player from 2010 are also committed.

He had a pretty good year on the recruiting trail.

Marc. What positions do these guys (other than GJ which you say is a PG) play? Curious as to how the depth charts now looks and will look for JH. Understand that many variables are at play, but what type of playing time do you foresee for JH?

Also, if JH were coming out of highschool today, what ranking number and/or number of stars would he merit?

mm

maggie, could you forward the link to the ncaa rule that says the max number of loi's cannot exceed the current used scholarships. i dont think that is correct. but i cannot find the rule that specifies either. i believe the loi's do not matter but the number of scholarshipped players is limited. another "just wrong" ncaa loophole that favors the schools and not the kids.

Broy

I read in the Belleville News-Democrat this morning that Jay and Campo were pushing SLU for Josh. I was wondering what your thoughts on that were? I thought they would be pushing Kentucky?

yeah that would be the correct thing say in the local paper.

Feel free to believe what you choose. I'm just telling you that I'm certain that WIU was going to grant Josh his release from a few months ago. The AD wasn't waiting for emails and phone calls....he was waiting for the Derek Thomas to be let go and then to see if there was any chance they could keep him.

And of course there was some "spite" involved. Josh kinda messed up their recruiting. When a kid signs and LOI and then doesn't go to the school, it puts the program in a real bind.

WIU will most certainly try to sign all their unused scholarships.....why would they NOT?

mm

So where is the logic in that? If you are going to release a kid, and know you are going to release him, why wait so long to do it? Why run the risk of a Bernie writing an article that makes you look petty and spiteful? If it was truly a done deal to release JH before that article happened then there is no reason whatsoever to not do it immediately.

Cause you want to see if you can keep the kid. You had him on LOI all year....might as well wait and exhaust all options to get him to your school. Firing DT was the kicker.....He was the one PO'd about the whole thing. Once he was gone, there was no reason to keep Josh when they figured out that he wouldnt' be coming no matter who they hired.

And I'm pretty sure WIU doesn't give a damn about articles like that....Josh was just as much to blame for the situation as WIU was. It's pretty bad to sign an LOI and then back out....you really can hang a program out to dry like that.

mm

Marc. What positions do these guys (other than GJ which you say is a PG) play? Curious as to how the depth charts now looks and will look for JH. Understand that many variables are at play, but what type of playing time do you foresee for JH?

Also, if JH were coming out of highschool today, what ranking number and/or number of stars would he merit?

Josh will play a big role on UK's team next year if he plays as expected. UK is missing a big that can handle the job in a high/low kinda offense. None of the other guys coming this year are 4/5's. It takes more time and effort to land the big men....not nearly as many of them.

mm

maggie, could you forward the link to the ncaa rule that says the max number of loi's cannot exceed the current used scholarships. i dont think that is correct. but i cannot find the rule that specifies either. i believe the loi's do not matter but the number of scholarshipped players is limited. another "just wrong" ncaa loophole that favors the schools and not the kids.

No. I don't know where the rule is....but I don't know where the rule is saying you can't kill someone either....but both are rules...lol.

You can't hold a kid to an LOI and then use the scholarship that he's supposed to be using. IF you want to keep him bound, you have to keep a scholarship open for him to accept. It's a rule, regardless of my ability/desire to go find it in print.

mm

And I'm pretty sure WIU doesn't give a damn about articles like that....

mm

Maybe that's why they are ranked the #300 + team in D-1. Gotta believe that this negative p.r. does have an affect on a school, especially one that isn't highly regarded to begin with.

Maybe that's why they are ranked the #300 + team in D-1. Gotta believe that this negative p.r. does have an affect on a school, especially one that isn't highly regarded to begin with.

Any negative publicity was being received long before any recent article. The timing of the release was exactly as most expected it (at least those who work in recruiting).....after DT was let go. We've been told for months that he'd be released when DT was let go....that's exactly what happened.

mm

Any negative publicity was being received long before any recent article. The timing of the release was exactly as most expected it (at least those who work in recruiting).....after DT was let go. We've been told for months that he'd be released when DT was let go....that's exactly what happened.

mm

I don't know a thing about the release, but I don't think that "average joe" sports fan in St. Louis knew what was going on before the article was released. Perhaps, certain insiders and maybe even recruits knew, but I doubt the masses had a clue.

mm

Something is wrong with that timeline.

DT was fired on March 7.

Bernie wrote his article on March 29.

JH was released on or about April 10.

If it was such a done deal that JH was going to be released after DT was fired, why did the school allow 3 weeks to pass with no action whatsoever?

OT: FYI. ACT scores transmitted today from the April 2008 test. I assume that means RC will know either way and the staff/we will know soon as well.

I thought they were out last week? or was last week the earliest they could be released?

I thought they were out last week? or was last week the earliest they could be released?

My high school Jr. took the test on the same day as RC. I got an email this AM from the ACT. Perhaps the online results were available last week, but it looks like the great majority of people will have been notified by this e-mail or by the snail mail official results, which they'll probably get by Monday.

It wouldn't put it past Bernie to write an article making himself look like the liberator when he knew full well the kid was going to be released after the Thomas firing. Not an original thought on my part, one of our posters suggested as much before this all went down. Can't remember his handle at the moment.