I am ready to watch K Mitchell next year

brianstl

I loved this bit from TT's blog:

Majerus said he wants his players to have access to the building 24 hours a day.

”I’m trying to sell that it’s going to be open all the time,” he said. “I’m going to make sure they have 24/7 access. I’m trying to recruit 24/7 players.”

He then pulled out his cellphone and hunted around to find a text message from incoming point guard Kwamain Mitchell. “I’m looking for these kind of guys,” Majerus said, who then read Mitchell’s message: “It’s going to take a lot of hard work but I am not a quitter so I know I can accomplish … it goes on and on.”

Kwamain Mitchell will be the most ready to play SLU recruit in year one, compared to the other guys. 1) He is simply further along than anyone else SLU has coming in, 2) You have to be patient with the big guys, it'll take a little time for them.

What kind of player is he? I imagine him as having some of the same quickness of Marque, but perhaps more of a pure point guard/playmaker type, than a scorer. Maybe not a great 3-point shooter at this point, but at least an upgrade over DP.

What kind of player is he? I imagine him as having some of the same quickness of Marque, but perhaps more of a pure point guard/playmaker type, than a scorer. Maybe not a great 3-point shooter at this point, but at least an upgrade over DP.

Kwamain is the kind of player who goes under the radar. People will come watch his games to see someone else with a higher profile, and then during it, turn to someone and say, "who is that kid" who is seemingly dominating the game with assists, points, mid range game and occasional jaw dropping flashy plays(but that isn't his game, he is substance over style). And those people will just not give him a lot of thought, though he simply puts up the numbers and wins time and time again. He quietly goes about his business as a natural combo guard who is a pass first player after taking someone off the dribble. He gets into the lane and can finish at the rim and create for others. He does a lot of things very well, not off the charts in anything. He's very efficient, and he's a winner. Plays hard every game. Athletic but not freak athlete, good shooter, but not great, good at a lot of things, not great, but very good. Wiry strong, but stronger than many others of his size and position(6' plus point guard). He gets better all the time, every year. Consistent. Quiet. Tough. If he were a little bit taller and slightly, though not a lot more athletic, he would have been BCS front and center...and they did come lately. The big boys can get the big huge tall guards. He's long for his height, which is about 6'. I think people will be very impressed with Kwamain at SLU. He'll contribute right away, and in time be strong solid point for SLU. He has many solid attributes, but his positive competitiveness on a regular basis combined with that ability is what makes him standout for me.

Sounds to me he is going to the leader in a good way of this batch... Can't wait!

People just need to be realistic. Lisch and Liddell struggled a great deal the first half of the Freshman year. Mitchell will play a lot right away, and he'll contribute, ups and downs his first year. He'll be far from perfect or great, but he'll "get it," and adjust to the pace and physicality of the college game. It'll help that he has a few talented veterans to help him out his first year.

If you ever catch some AAU ball, he's not as athletic as Korie Lucious,(Michigan St) so his ceiling is not as high, but he's solid in all aspects, and though he'll be told his ceiling isn't that high, he'll likely push that ceiling each year.

People just need to be realistic. Lisch and Liddell struggled a great deal the first half of the Freshman year. Mitchell will play a lot right away, and he'll contribute, ups and downs his first year. He'll be far from perfect or great, but he'll "get it," and adjust to the pace and physicality of the college game. It'll help that he has a few talented veterans to help him out his first year.

If you ever catch some AAU ball, he's not as athletic as Korie Lucious,(Michigan St) so his ceiling is not as high, but he's solid in all aspects, and though he'll be told his ceiling isn't that high, he'll likely push that ceiling each year.

I have heard his work ethic is unbelievable. Mitchell and Conklin, IMO, will be the most ready freshman when they arrive campus. Both should get major minutes early on.

I have heard his work ethic is unbelievable. Mitchell and Conklin, IMO, will be the most ready freshman when they arrive campus. Both should get major minutes early on.

What about Thompson? Based on one photo I'd seen from a while back, I speculated on here that his growing pains would be mostly because he's kind of a beanpole, but other posters assured me he was bigger than I thought. I understand that the learning curve can be more pronounced for bigs, but if he's that tall, has at least a little meat on the bones, and has the multitude of skills we all think he has, he should be an instant contributor too, right? Quite honestly, what other choice do we have than to get him some significant minutes?

What about Thompson? Based on one photo I'd seen from a while back, I speculated on here that his growing pains would be mostly because he's kind of a beanpole, but other posters assured me he was bigger than I thought. I understand that the learning curve can be more pronounced for bigs, but if he's that tall, has at least a little meat on the bones, and has the multitude of skills we all think he has, he should be an instant contributor too, right? Quite honestly, what other choice do we have than to get him some significant minutes?

He is big. He is not tough enough for D-1........ yet.

Thompson was having a tough time dominating guys that were 6'2 in high school. He just needs to learn how to use his strength and skills to the best of his ability. Under Majerus I believe he will do that but it will take a while and a lot of growing pains. He has all the skills you want in a big man he just needs the proper coaching and dedication to get better.

Thompson was having a tough time dominating guys that were 6'2 in high school. He just needs to learn how to use his strength and skills to the best of his ability. Under Majerus I believe he will do that but it will take a while and a lot of growing pains. He has all the skills you want in a big man he just needs the proper coaching and dedication to get better.

You said it much better than me.

People grossly underestimate the learning curve for big men. It gets the "yeah yeah, but he's 7 feet, he should be able to come in right away and do this and that etc...). There are very few of those guys out there.

A big man who can shoot it, pass it, is hard to come by, and poses plenty of matchup problems. Rick's had many face the basket big men over the years and he's one of the best in the country at coaching "bigs."

Lateral quickness, defense, toughness, playing with back to basket etc....all things to work on. He's a very good recruit. He'll likely get to play a lot his first season out of necessity in the front court. He'll make more mistakes than Mitchell his first year, and that's expected. Hell contribute and get better. His last two years will be light years better than his first two.

I understand people are excited with the new facilities, recruiting class, returning good players, etc...but it is a shame to some extent that Lisch and Liddell only have one more season. It'll take some time.

People grossly underestimate the learning curve for big men. It gets the "yeah yeah, but he's 7 feet, he should be able to come in right away and do this and that etc...). There are very few of those guys out there.

A big man who can shoot it, pass it, is hard to come by, and poses plenty of matchup problems. Rick's had many face the basket big men over the years and he's one of the best in the country at coaching "bigs."

Lateral quickness, defense, toughness, playing with back to basket etc....all things to work on. He's a very good recruit. He'll likely get to play a lot his first season out of necessity in the front court. He'll make more mistakes than Mitchell his first year, and that's expected. Hell contribute and get better. His last two years will be light years better than his first two.

I understand people are excited with the new facilities, recruiting class, returning good players, etc...but it is a shame to some extent that Lisch and Liddell only have one more season. It'll take some time.

any thoughts or knowledge of Conklin?

I recall in a past interview RM compared him to Dee Brown from the Illini a few years back...but with a better jump shot. If he can be anything close to what Dee Brown was for the Illini we are really in for quite the treat.

I recall in a past interview RM compared him to Dee Brown from the Illini a few years back...but with a better jump shot. If he can be anything close to what Dee Brown was for the Illini we are really in for quite the treat.

and most coaches at the time said that sean dockery was better than dee brown coming out of high school as well.

i.e. why dont we give mitchell the space to come to town and be whatever he is before we set him up as dee brown. personally i think he should be given until after his sophomore season to see what he is at least. if he comes in next year and is immediately derrick rose, awesome. but if he sits on the bench because he didnt set a 6 inch screen in practice or didnt shoot with enough arch on his jumper in workouts, i hope he is given a chance to make it better.