Who is the Best Team in College Basketball?

Postcard

There doesn't seem to be one standout team this year. I would say Duke, NC, Kansas and Memphis are all top dogs but all beatable as well. I wouldn't call any of them as a lock for the Final Four. I would say Memphis is the most likely to upset of that group. I think Texas and UCLA can play with most anyone. Connectictut and G-Town can be scary. I think it's pretty wide open which should mean it's going to be a good tourney.

There doesn't seem to be one standout team this year. I would say Duke, NC, Kansas and Memphis are all top dogs but all beatable as well. I wouldn't call any of them as a lock for the Final Four. I would say Memphis is the most likely to upset of that group. I think Texas and UCLA can play with most anyone. Connectictut and G-Town can be scary. I think it's pretty wide open which should mean it's going to be a good tourney.

YOu really have to put Xavier as a final four contender. Last year they should have beat Ohio St, in the second round and then after that OS blasted everyone until the final. Xavier really is a good team and if they get any less than a 3 seed it is bc people hate on the A-10. I wish we could start the non conference schedule now.

The A-10 would certainly represent.

I think Memphis will blow it bc they are not used to good competition night in and night out...top four teams right now for me are....

Kansas

Duke

Memphis

Texas

When I fill out my bracket I will have Xavier making serious noise.

Best team in NCAA- I'm gonna have to say SLU. We had a rocky start getting to know our new system, but since our 20pt game we have really pulled it together. If we somehow find a way into the dance I don't see us losing to anybody.

YOu really have to put Xavier as a final four contender. Last year they should have beat Ohio St, in the second round and then after that OS blasted everyone until the final. Xavier really is a good team and if they get any less than a 3 seed it is bc people hate on the A-10. I wish we could start the non conference schedule now.

I think Memphis will blow it bc they are not used to good competition night in and night out...top four teams right now for me are....

Kansas

Duke

Memphis

Texas

I understand that people have trouble giving Memphis the respect they deserve because of the weak conference they play in. However, I think when you make a comment that Memphis is not used to good competition you really are overlooking their overall SOS (based on RPI). They have a much more difficult SOS than Kansas and Georgetown, and they have a comparable SOS to teams like Xavier and UCLA. Thus far Memphis has beaten Oklahoma, UCONN, USC, Georgetown, Arizona, Gonzaga, and Houston twice. All of those teams have a top 50 RPI and many have a top 25 RPI. Based on this, I don't think somebody can make the claim that Memphis has played weak schedule and is more susceptible to an early upset than any of the other top teams.

I guess this whole theory will be tested on Saturday when they faceoff against the Tennessee Vols.

Kansas

Duke

Memphis

Texas

Good point about Xavier. I don't really think their is an established second tier of teams that stands out from the rest of the group. YOu could certainly include Xavier in that second tier of teams that can contend. I think the only thing that will prevent Xavier from getting a 3 seed is if they flounder down the stretch and have a hiccup in the conference tourney. I agree with you on Memphis. Come tourney time when they play teams with athletes who can stay with them they might not find it so easy.

Good point about Xavier. I don't really think their is an established second tier of teams that stands out from the rest of the group. YOu could certainly include Xavier in that second tier of teams that can contend. I think the only thing that will prevent Xavier from getting a 3 seed is if they flounder down the stretch and have a hiccup in the conference tourney. I agree with you on Memphis. Come tourney time when they play teams with athletes who can stay with them they might not find it so easy.

If almost anyone besides Frank Martin was coaching K-State, I would include them in my final four. Even with Frank Martin coaching them, I still think they have a decent shot.

If I was forced to pick a final four today:

UCLA

UNC

KU

Louisville

i think memphis indeed is the best team talentwise in the country. the fact they are undefeated and are undefeated with a top ten overall strength of schedule with wins against the likes of decent teams like richmond, oklahoma, uconn, southern cal, cincy, georgetown, arizona and conference foes, uab and houston proves they have been challenged regardless of the rest of conference usa.

however they have one of the worst floor coaches in calipari imo. the guy has squandered some awesome talented teams at memphis over the years. and that is ultimately what i would guess is going to happen again.

the game upcoming vs tennessee will be huge. and i would guess that the winner of that game will be the top ranked number one seed in the country.

as much as i hate to say it, tennessee has a good team as well. but if i root against any coach of the top teams, pearl is it. here's hoping for an early crash for his team. but they have a lot of players. they will be hard to beat.

i also like ucla. while they have less talent than memphis, they have a superb floor coach in howland. there is a reason howland keeps getting to the sweet 16. talent is one thing, but in the tourney, talent doesnt always win out. you need both talent and the right plan. howland does that.

my fourth team would be kansas. just real solid in a traditional sense. guards. forwards. no real gimmicks. just good players.

the team that i think is interesting is uconn. they werent expected to do as well as they have done. but that center they have, hasheem thabeet, is a monster. he just keeps getting better and better and better. while his season stats look ok, they are only a shadow of how much he really dominates a game as of late. in the tourney many times a player gets hot or emerges to carry a team. and add to their good players a great coach in calhoun uconn could really be a player next month.

if i have to pick a "little engine that could" team to root for, i am rooting for butler to get a great seed. so much of the tourney really is about the journey each team is handed. if butler could get a seed where they dont have to play a top team the first couple of rounds, that sure might help their chances of getting real deep.

of course i will be rooting for our 4 or 5 A-10 teams. :-)

xaiver finishes out the season strong, they should get at worst a 3 seed and that will help their cause. i am doubting the other 3 or 4 A-10 teams get higher than a 7 seed. so while we might get some immediate love there is a good chance most if not all will be bounced quickly and then we'll have to hear from our A-10 haters again. sighhhh.

Roy, I realize that you don't like Calipari, but if there is a team in the top four we should be pulling for to win the whole thing it is Memphis. It will be much easier for the A10 to get respect and every other non BCS school should be pulling for Memphis to win. I know they have my vote to win it all for the rest of us.

If almost anyone besides Frank Martin was coaching K-State, I would include them in my final four. Even with Frank Martin coaching them, I still think they have a decent shot.

If I was forced to pick a final four today:

UCLA

UNC

KU

Louisville

I'm not feeling the Louisville love. I know they've had some injuries but the couple/few times I've watched them they just didn't do it for me. That's a good point about K-State. They could be a one and done or I could see them making a run. With Beasley and Walker they certainly have the superstar talent to carry them.

A couple mid tier teams that we'll learn a lot about the next week or so are Stanford and Notre Dame. I could see both of them making runs. A couple more BCS longshots would be Syracuse and Clemson(granted they both make the tourney).

i think memphis indeed is the best team talentwise in the country. the fact they are undefeated and are undefeated with a top ten overall strength of schedule with wins against the likes of decent teams like richmond, oklahoma, uconn, southern cal, cincy, georgetown, arizona and conference foes, uab and houston proves they have been challenged regardless of the rest of conference usa.

however they have one of the worst floor coaches in calipari imo. the guy has squandered some awesome talented teams at memphis over the years. and that is ultimately what i would guess is going to happen again.

the game upcoming vs tennessee will be huge. and i would guess that the winner of that game will be the top ranked number one seed in the country.

as much as i hate to say it, tennessee has a good team as well. but if i root against any coach of the top teams, pearl is it. here's hoping for an early crash for his team. but they have a lot of players. they will be hard to beat.

i also like ucla. while they have less talent than memphis, they have a superb floor coach in howland. there is a reason howland keeps getting to the sweet 16. talent is one thing, but in the tourney, talent doesnt always win out. you need both talent and the right plan. howland does that.

my fourth team would be kansas. just real solid in a traditional sense. guards. forwards. no real gimmicks. just good players.

the team that i think is interesting is uconn. they werent expected to do as well as they have done. but that center they have, hasheem thabeet, is a monster. he just keeps getting better and better and better. while his season stats look ok, they are only a shadow of how much he really dominates a game as of late. in the tourney many times a player gets hot or emerges to carry a team. and add to their good players a great coach in calhoun uconn could really be a player next month.

if i have to pick a "little engine that could" team to root for, i am rooting for butler to get a great seed. so much of the tourney really is about the journey each team is handed. if butler could get a seed where they dont have to play a top team the first couple of rounds, that sure might help their chances of getting real deep.

of course i will be rooting for our 4 or 5 A-10 teams. :-)

xaiver finishes out the season strong, they should get at worst a 3 seed and that will help their cause. i am doubting the other 3 or 4 A-10 teams get higher than a 7 seed. so while we might get some immediate love there is a good chance most if not all will be bounced quickly and then we'll have to hear from our A-10 haters again. sighhhh.

Roy why do you hate Pearl? He's actually one of my favorite coaches. I admire what he did by turning in Dione Thomas and Illinois. College basketball would be a lot better off if people had the guts to turn in cheaters. Besides I don't think Pearl takes himself so seriously.

as reluctant as i am to state this, Kansas in the tournament is absolute trouble, Bill Selfish has his studlies cooperating on a level that rivals any squad in the country since the 2004 fighting illini, if sherron collins gets this club on a roll come mid march, this team might cut the nets down, but not before i chop Bill Self's head off with my liquid sword

Roy why do you hate Pearl? He's actually one of my favorite coaches. I admire what he did by turning in Dione Thomas and Illinois. College basketball would be a lot better off if people had the guts to turn in cheaters. Besides I don't think Pearl takes himself so seriously.

he made the entire thomas thing up. and the ncaa absolved illinois of any of the pearl accusations.

however in the course of chasing the thomas made up stuff, they found asst coach jimmy collins other transgressions. and that was why illinois got in trouble. collins paid dearly for those mistakes as had he not made those errors he would likely be the illinois coach today or at the very least would have been henson's successor.

but to make up the crap pearl did because he got beat on thomas was dispicable. thus he earned my lifetime hate award.

he made the entire thomas thing up. and the ncaa absolved illinois of any of the pearl accusations.

however in the course of chasing the thomas made up stuff, they found asst coach jimmy collins other transgressions. and that was why illinois got in trouble. collins paid dearly for those mistakes as had he not made those errors he would likely be the illinois coach today or at the very least would have been henson's successor.

but to make up the crap pearl did because he got beat on thomas was dispicable. thus he earned my lifetime hate award.

I'm not feeling the Louisville love. I know they've had some injuries but the couple/few times I've watched them they just didn't do it for me. That's a good point about K-State. They could be a one and done or I could see them making a run. With Beasley and Walker they certainly have the superstar talent to carry them.

A couple mid tier teams that we'll learn a lot about the next week or so are Stanford and Notre Dame. I could see both of them making runs. A couple more BCS longshots would be Syracuse and Clemson(granted they both make the tourney).

After watching their back to back wins against Marquette and Georgetown they made a beleiver out of me. I think Pitino has them rolling now.

I'm with you - I like what I've seen from UCLA, and Howland is a fantastic coach.

Bull. Illinois was guilty,just because they didn't get nailed doesn't mean they were innocent. Next your going to tell me Eddie Sutton didn't send Kemp cash in a fed x envelope. Do you really think the NCAA wants to confirm that schools pay players. They always hang them on lesser issues.

I am sure Thomas paid for that Blazer out of his pocket.

Roy, you are the last person that I thought I would see making excuses for a cheater like Collins. If Collins would have followed the rules he would have had nothing to worry about. Collins got what he deserved. Hell in many ways Pearl paid a higher price for many years than Henson and Collins had to pay for what was going on at Illinois.

I am sure Thomas paid for that Blazer out of his pocket.

Roy, you are the last person that I thought I would see making excuses for a cheater like Collins. If Collins would have followed the rules he would have had nothing to worry about. Collins got what he deserved. Hell in many ways Pearl paid a higher price for many years than Henson and Collins had to pay for what was going on at Illinois.

i am not making excuses for collins. he got his and deservedly so. my point was only that the pearl allegations were found to be totally ficticious and while illinois was completely wrong for their other transgressions, pearl's malicious accusations were deplorable.

as to collins paid (and deserving) price. being sentenced to coach the flames instead of the illini for eternity compared to pearl now being at tennessee doesnt seem like pearl got the short end. again, i am not defending collins. i just think pearl making up his allegations was horrible.

i am not making excuses for collins. he got his and deservedly so. my point was only that the pearl allegations were found to be totally ficticious and while illinois was completely wrong for their other transgressions, pearl's malicious accusations were deplorable.

as to collins paid (and deserving) price. being sentenced to coach the flames instead of the illini for eternity compared to pearl now being at tennessee doesnt seem like pearl got the short end. again, i am not defending collins. i just think pearl making up his allegations was horrible.

Pearl paid a price. He was banished to D-2 ball. Pearl didn't make up the allegations. He had Thomas on a taped conversation admitting to receiving cash and an SUV.

the blazer ended up being a relatives that was a beater. and thomas testified he contrived the phone call because he was sick of pearl's continued attempt to try to get him to change his mind so he patronizingly answered pearl's questions about his allegations.

look it up.

i am sure our old friend sheltiedave can assist up on this one.

At this point I would take Memphis, UCLA, Kansas, and Duke. Those four teams have tremendous talent and other than Memphis play great team basketball. Kansas has so many guys who can beat you and those guys are seasoned. Duke has been my team this year from early on and I just love how they play. They really get after it on defense and speed teams up forcing turnovers and poor decisions. On offense they are loaded with guys who can hit the 3 and drive to the basket. Their weakness is inside so matchups will determine how confident I am with them. UCLA is just so sound and they have a lot of talent as well with Love, Shipp, Collison, Westbrook, and Mbah a Moute. They defend as well as any team in the country and this has seemed to make them immune to the upset.

I am a little hesitant to pick Memphis. They have amazing athleticism, but in the past they have shown to be upset prone. It seems like in the past teams were able to get them out of their comfort zone and frustrate them. This year may be different with them finally having that point guard who can control the game in Rose. As far as people questioning their schedule I think that is ridiculous when you look at the nonconference teams they have beaten. The game this Saturday with Tennessee will give everyone an idea just how legit they are.

Xavier has a nice team and could definitely make some noise. My concern with them is that they are a little soft inside. That mutant power forward they have, Josh Duncan, is more comfortable outside and does not seem to like to bang.

UConn is a quality sleeper team due to their size and athleticism. AJ Price seems to have really elevated his game for them to go along with long leaper after long leaper they throw at you. It would be nice if they could get Dyson back to get another scorer from the guard position.

Things seem to be wide open this year and that will make for an exciting tournament.

the blazer ended up being a relatives that was a beater. and thomas testified he contrived the phone call because he was sick of pearl's continued attempt to try to get him to change his mind so he patronizingly answered pearl's questions about his allegations.

look it up.

i am sure our old friend sheltiedave can assist up on this one.

I know what Thomas said and I don't beleive him. I don't think anybody is going to say they recieved it if they didn't. Thomas thought he was good buddies with Pearl and didn't realize he was being taped. He thought there was nothing that could come out of him admitting it. The Illini pulled a bunch of crap back in those days.

At this point I would take Memphis, UCLA, Kansas, and Duke. Those four teams have tremendous talent and other than Memphis play great team basketball. Kansas has so many guys who can beat you and those guys are seasoned. Duke has been my team this year from early on and I just love how they play. They really get after it on defense and speed teams up forcing turnovers and poor decisions. On offense they are loaded with guys who can hit the 3 and drive to the basket. Their weakness is inside so matchups will determine how confident I am with them. UCLA is just so sound and they have a lot of talent as well with Love, Shipp, Collison, Westbrook, and Mbah a Moute. They defend as well as any team in the country and this has seemed to make them immune to the upset.

I totally agree with you about Duke. They are loaded on offense but it seems like they rely on the 3 too much and could be offset by a team with a good inside game or if they get cold from outside.

I am a little hesitant to pick Memphis. They have amazing athleticism, but in the past they have shown to be upset prone. It seems like in the past teams were able to get them out of their comfort zone and frustrate them. This year may be different with them finally having that point guard who can control the game in Rose. As far as people questioning their schedule I think that is ridiculous when you look at the nonconference teams they have beaten. The game this Saturday with Tennessee will give everyone an idea just how legit they are.

I have to admit I was wrong about Memphis. I didn't realize how strong of schedule they had played until I looked it up. They have some real quality wins. You are right though, they are prone to the upset at times. Kansas is a beast and will tough to beat. Self has always found a way to blow if before so I'm sure he'll do it again.

Xavier has a nice team and could definitely make some noise. My concern with them is that they are a little soft inside. That mutant power forward they have, Josh Duncan, is more comfortable outside and does not seem to like to bang.

UConn is a quality sleeper team due to their size and athleticism. AJ Price seems to have really elevated his game for them to go along with long leaper after long leaper they throw at you. It would be nice if they could get Dyson back to get another scorer from the guard position.

Things seem to be wide open this year and that will make for an exciting tournament.

Memphis will fold in tournament. Not used to day to day pressure.

Duke, NC, UCLA, Tennessee Final 4.

Duke got hosed Sunday, all five starters fouled out @ Wake Forest. WF fought for win for deceased coach. Biggest fix since New Orleans Saints won Monday night game year after Katrina. Before that, The Warren Commission.

Memphis will fold in tournament. Not used to day to day pressure.

Duke, NC, UCLA, Tennessee Final 4.

Duke got hosed Sunday, all five starters fouled out @ Wake Forest. WF fought for win for deceased coach. Biggest fix since New Orleans Saints won Monday night game year after Katrina. Before that, The Warren Commission.

If Duke got hosed it would be the first time.