Back to basketball

slufanskip

If you were the coach who would you start and who would you bring off the bench

I'd start

Tommie and Kevin at the 1 and 2, I don't care who is called the pg

Luke at the 3

Barry at the 4

Bryce at the 5

Bryce and Adam split all 40 minutes at the 5 whoever is playing better gets the most minutes

Barry plays 25-30 minutes at the 4, Luke plays the rest

Luke plays 10-15 at the 4 and 20 at the 3.

Tommie and Kevin play about 32 each.

That leaves 36 minutes at the 1, 2, and 3.

Danny gets 20 of those as long as he keeps playing as he has this year. Paul gets 10 and DP gets 6

I have no problem not playing AM or MR until they show they are the better option than one of the above.

That's an 8 man rotation ... I don't think we have the talent to go deeper

I'd start

Luke at the 3

Barry at the 4

Bryce at the 5

Bryce and Adam split all 40 minutes at the 5 whoever is playing better gets the most minutes

Danny gets 20 of those as long as he keeps playing as he has this year. Paul gets 10 and DP gets 6

I have no problem not playing AM or MR until they show they are the better option than one of the above.

I pretty much agree with your line-up. I would probably juggle the minutes for three guards offf the bench depending on who we are playing. On most nights I would probably give Danny most of those minutes.

I'd start

Luke at the 3

Barry at the 4

Bryce at the 5

i like almost all your thinking skip. the only thing i do is indeed give mitchell and relphorde at least a total of ten minutes between them. how you do that, could be accomplished by simply shaving one minute off of everyone else and maybe a couple extra as fouls or situations present themselves. i dont think beyond kevin, tommie and luke we have the talent not to give all ten players minutes. otherwise i like your splits a lot.

Perhaps that lineup can be tried. However, I would be concerned about the ball handling/point guard duties for the whole game, and fatigue at the end of games for Liddell and Lisch if they have to handle the ball that much. I also expect teams will press SLU, and that the turnovers will mount. IMO, Liddell and Lisch are better as wing players, although I realize there is a difference of opinion there. I also think they are both very good ballplayers, and I like watching both play.

If only Polk could shoot, even hit a third of his outside shots. IMO he is SLU's best and quickest ball handler. But when he is in the game, teams simply sag off and dare him to shoot in the half court.

Perhaps that lineup can be tried. However, I would be concerned about the ball handling/point guard duties for the whole game, and fatigue at the end of games for Liddell and Lisch if they have to handle the ball that much. I also expect teams will press SLU, and that the turnovers will mount. IMO, Liddell and Lisch are better as wing players, although I realize there is a difference of opinion there. I also think they are both very good ballplayers, and I like watching both play.

If only Polk could shoot, even hit a third of his outside shots. IMO he is SLU's best and quickest ball handler. But when he is in the game, teams simply sag off and dare him to shoot in the half court.

bay area, keep in mind that in skip's thinking when polk is in the game polk brings the ball down. also i would think cutting back on polk's minutes gives polk the ability for the few short times he is in the game to just really rachet up his defensive efforts and maybe he takes the opposing star guard for that time period. i think between splitting handling duties between lisch and liddell and still using polk effectively, fatigue would be less of a factor than what it has been on lisch the last couple of games.

I'd start

Luke at the 3

Barry at the 4

Bryce at the 5

That's my ideal rotation except that I'd give Eckerle and Brown about equal minutes, esp. given the fact that Eckerle will be here next year and Brown won't. Although I was surprised w/ the hops that Brown showed on a defensive rebound in the 2nd half last game - didn't know he still had any. Dwayne has just got to lose minutes. I think it may be inaccurately attributed to Einstein, and I'm paraphrasing, but the epitome of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Polk's gone scoreless in exactly half of our games this year, and I don't expect that to change. Danny Brown's scoring slightly more in half the minutes, and Paul Eckerle's scoring twice as much in 2/3 the minutes. Something's gotta give, and it needed to happen weeks ago.

I want the hockey substitution rule for Polk. Lol

I tried that in my girls scrimmage at the SLU ladies game last week as they had the band playing while we were and you couldn't hear anything. It caused a pretty good collision.

I would have Polk bring it up when he is in which would leave Tommie and Kevin with help from Paul and Danny to bring it up the other 34 minutes or so. Once the ball is in the front court it doesn't matter who is considered the point.

I have no problem giving AM and MR minutes if they earn them in practice. At this point it doesn't look as if they have, and I haven't seen them play enough to know if I'd give them minutes. I'm not going to give them time just because or to get them ready for next year.

I'd give Danny more minutes than Paul because RM seems to have made something click with Danny. He is much more focused on D and under control on offense. I also think his upside is higher than with Paul. I doubt Danny is 100% recovered fromhis surgery and as he gets more time we may see more of the Danny we thought we had a couple of years ago. I like Paul's consistency and the fact he never appears to be intimidated, I just think Danny brings more to the table as long as he plays as he has been.

Skip,

You're preaching to the choir!

We simply need some kind of post game. Your line-up puts our 3, 4 and 5 in their natural positions -- at the same time. Playing Barry as a 5 makes no sense. Plus, playing him with Bryce should keep opponent's post defense honest. Playing Luke at 4 -- except where needed to give Barry a break -- also makes no sense.

Kevin and/or Tommie are athletic enough to handle the ball. Agreed -- not as good as Dwayne -- but not signficantly worse.

The result: more or less 5 on 5 in the half court. Much better than the 3 on 5 we usually see.

Now the question: can you sell it to Rickma?

Skip,

You're preaching to the choir!

We simply need some kind of post game. Your line-up puts our 3, 4 and 5 in their natural positions -- at the same time. Playing Barry as a 5 makes no sense. Plus, playing him with Bryce should keep opponent's post defense honest. Playing Luke at 4 -- except where needed to give Barry a break -- also makes no sense.

Kevin and/or Tommie are athletic enough to handle the ball. Agreed -- not as good as Dwayne -- but not signficantly worse.

The result: more or less 5 on 5 in the half court. Much better than the 3 on 5 we usually see.

Now the question: can you sell it to Rickma?

If I could just get him out to see how good my 5/6th and 7/8th girls teams are, maybe he'd listen. In 4 years I've finished 1st twice, 2nd once, fourth once, and this year I'm 5-0.

Anyone with some free time come out and watch the ladies play tonight. I'll be officiating the half time game with our 7th and 8th grade select teams.

I divide the minutes like this

PG:Tommie 17, Kevin 8, Dwayne 15

SG:Kevin 23, Tommie 10, Danny 3, Paul and Anthony:divide 4

SF: Luke 23, Danny 12, Tommie 5

PF:Barry 25, Marcus 10, Luke 5

C:Bryce 15, Adam 20, Barry 5

Note:

Tommie and Kevin never bothe out at the same time unless we have a big lead.

Tommie and Kevin can switch PG-SG if both in the game together

Dwayne is in for at least the 9 Kevin is out due to Defense. Paul and Anthony switched based on opp. personnel.

Total Minut Breakdown

Tommie: 32

Kevin:31

Barry:30

Luke:28

Adam:20

Dwayne: 15

Danny: 15

Bryce:15

Marcus:10

Paul and Anthony: divide 4

I divide the minutes like this

PG:Tommie 17, Kevin 8, Dwayne 15

SG:Kevin 23, Tommie 10, Danny 3, Paul and Anthony:divide 4

SF: Luke 23, Danny 12, Tommie 5

PF:Barry 25, Marcus 10, Luke 5

C:Bryce 15, Adam 20, Barry 5

Note:

Tommie and Kevin never bothe out at the same time unless we have a big lead.

Tommie and Kevin can switch PG-SG if both in the game together

Dwayne is in for at least the 9 Kevin is out due to Defense. Paul and Anthony switched based on opp. personnel.

Total Minut Breakdown

Tommie: 32

Kevin:31

Barry:30

Luke:28

Adam:20

Dwayne: 15

Danny: 15

Bryce:15

Marcus:10

Paul and Anthony: divide 4

HA! Paul playing around 2 minutes a game? Are you being serious?

I know that will not happen but I just dont see what everyone else sees in Paul. I appreciate the effort he puts forth but I dont see the bball IQ that others see

How much basketball do you watch? He's probably the 4th best shooter on the team, plays good defense and is always hustling. Sure he makes freshman mistakes, but if you honestly think that him playing 4 minutes a game is best for the program you are flat out wrong.