Temple by 2 over Bills

The Wiz

I don't know how much of this you can blame on the coaching. Certainly RM does deserve some criticism, particularly for his personnel choices in crucial situations. For example, the lineup for most of the stretch run of the game and OT featured LM as the tallest guy on the floor. Although BH is a huge liability on the offensive end of the floor he does alter some shots on defense. Also, AK was serviceable to me. Also, I know I'm probably in the minority on this, but at the end of the game I would prefer DP over PE. Yes, DP can't hit the broad side of the barn shooting the ball, but he has an awareness of the floor, he handles the ball fairly well, and he plays under control. PE at times plays like a freshman and gets out of control.

Aside from those few personnel decisions, I don't think you can blame RM for this team's lackluster play. I have previously defended this teams saying that the talent was sufficient, but the more and more I watch this team I really question the talent, athleticism, and basketball IQ of this entire team. I can really see now that the loss of IV has really hurt this team. Certainly he struggled much of the time last year and didn't develop into the kind of player we anticipated, but you'd be hard pressed to find games where he hurt the teams chances of winning. BH is a liability out there at times. He loses concentration on defense and the other team is able to draw him way out of the paint. On the offensive end of the floor he simply isn't very talented. He has terrible hands and not much foresight. He doesn't seem to be able to anticipate when the ball might come his way when the guards are driving. DP's weaknesses are obvious - he can't shoot the ball. His speed, agility, and awareness are really mitigated in a half court set. Although KL is a very good shooter, that might be his only real strength. There have been countless times this year where he has played out of control and handled the ball with his head down. Also, his lack of true athleticism hurts him. He really has trouble generating shots for himself, and his attempts to drive the ball don't work when his outside shot is cold because he lacks that explosive first step. TL is a great player with a great feel for the game. However, he is not the type of game changer that guys like Larry Hughes once were for SLU. He needs a supporting cast to be at his best and he certainly doesn't have much of a supporting cast. LM is a solid and tough player, but he just isn't as athletic as other forwards on other teams. BE is a wildcard to me. We have seen flashes of good play, but then there are times when he really struggles. He may have an impact next year though. Finally, the lack of depth is obvious.

I understand that everyone, including myself expected a lot from the team this year with RM at the helm, and it is very easy to blame RM for these recent struggles. However, if you really do objectively consider this team, there is not much talent to work with. As next year's (and subsequent year's) recruits begin to filter into the system, we'll truly be able to see why we are paying RM to revive our program. Not even the legendary Dean Smith could display his basketball greatness with the talent on this roster.

Off by one point. Frankly, I'm surprised to have gotten home and learned that the Bills lost. In my opinion, this is not an impressive coaching job this season.

Yeah, thicks i have to agree with you. I don't see how a coach with a point guard like DP and a center tandem of AK and BH doesn't win all of their games. Thanks for your insight, your knowledge of basketball ranks right there with Jacks. By the way thicks, when you get a chance check out DP, BH, and Ak's statistics for the game today. Please report back with your findings. I am sure they will prove your point about RM's terrible coaching job.

Yeah, thicks i have to agree with you. I don't see how a coach with a point guard like DP and a center tandem of AK and BH doesn't win all of their games. Thanks for your insight, your knowledge of basketball ranks right there with Jacks. By the way thicks, when you get a chance check out DP, BH, and Ak's statistics for the game today. Please report back with your findings. I am sure they will prove your point about RM's terrible coaching job.

You sound bitter. I'll chalk your attacking my knowledge of basketball up to your disappointment in the Bills losing. Where did I say any coach should win every game, regardless of who's on his roster??? Second, I didn't say Majerus's coaching job was or is terrible. "Terrible" is your word. I said it hasn't been impressive -- that is, suitable for someone we suppose is a lock for the basketball Hall of Fame. You want to lay a lot of the blame at Dwayne Polk's feet, but I see a player playing up to his ability (I wish, though, that he would shoot right-handed, but it's probably too late for him to change). It's the coach that chooses to play him there rather than Tommie Liddell. The frontcourt play has been woeful, but what has the coach done to improve its depth this year? How much time has he given Knollmeyer, Relphorde, and Mitchell (if Meyer and Brown can play at the four, why can't Mitchell)? He hasn't played them much because he's too much of a perfectionist, so the guys who have the athleticism to contribute aren't getting any on-the-job training. Certainly going against teammates in practice doesn't help them grow into the positions they need to play in a pinch right now. Majerus is considered a mastermind of the game, and a team is a reflection of its coach, but this team's performance reflects the coach's attitude about this season.

Is this insight any more to your liking?

You sound bitter. I'll chalk your attacking my knowledge of basketball up to your disappointment in the Bills losing. Where did I say any coach should win every game, regardless of who's on his roster??? Second, I didn't say Majerus's coaching job was or is terrible. "Terrible" is your word. I said it hasn't been impressive -- that is, suitable for someone we suppose is a lock for the basketball Hall of Fame. You want to lay a lot of the blame at Dwayne Polk's feet, but I see a player playing up to his ability (I wish, though, that he would shoot right-handed, but it's probably too late for him to change). It's the coach that chooses to play him there rather than Tommie Liddell. The frontcourt play has been woeful, but what has the coach done to improve its depth this year? How much time has he given Knollmeyer, Relphorde, and Mitchell (if Meyer and Brown can play at the four, why can't Mitchell)? He hasn't played them much because he's too much of a perfectionist, so the guys who have the athleticism to contribute aren't getting any on-the-job training. Certainly going against teammates in practice doesn't help them grow into the positions they need to play in a pinch right now. Majerus is considered a mastermind of the game, and a team is a reflection of its coach, but this team's performance reflects the coach's attitude about this season.

Is this insight any more to your liking?

NO..are you on drugs? You say, don't use Polk, who else do they have??? Thicks, don't you get it? Unfortunately, Polk is their best option, and he is terrible. BH, can't catch the ball. RM. sees Relphorde, and Mitchell evey day in practice. if they were a better option, they would be playing. If you want to see an exhibition on how not to shoot the basketball, watach AM next time in pre game warm ups. Your criticism of RM is totally off base. You admit that the front court is woefulul, yet blame the coach for the loss. Sounds ridiculous doesn't it?

NO..are you on drugs? You say, don't use Polk, who else do they have??? Thicks, don't you get it? Unfortunately, Polk is their best option, and he is terrible. BH, can't catch the ball. RM. sees Relphorde, and Mitchell evey day in practice. if they were a better option, they would be playing. If you want to see an exhibition on how not to shoot the basketball, watach AM next time in pre game warm ups. Your criticism of RM is totally off base. You admit that the front court is woefulul, yet blame the coach for the loss. Sounds ridiculous doesn't it?

Still bitter, I see. And you can't read, either, I guess. Tommie Liddell can play the point -- that's who else they have. Yes, I get it. If what you have isn't working, try something else. I believe it was Einstein who said that the surest sign of insanity is doing something repeatedly and expecting a different result.

Some players aren't practice players. Soderberg had the same problem.

Perhaps Anthony Mitchell isn't a textbook shooter, but he has other skills, abilities and attributes that he can give the team (that no one else can) besides a textbook jumpshot. Dustin Maguire has a textbook jumper but has been deemed unable to help this team.

I'm not being any more critical of Rick Majerus than anyone else. I'm happy he's the Billikens' coach and am even willing to tolerate some of his idiosyncrasies. I'm not criticizing his whole career -- just his handling of this year's team. It's obvious that it's a throwaway season for him, and I don't like that. They're keeping score and the games count in the record books, so try to win, not use these players as guinea pigs and ask the fans of this team to pretend like they're all exhibitions.

Lastly, I don't blame Coach Majerus solely for this loss. You must be trying to lump me into one of the "camps" that I have chosen to stay out of. But I do find Rick's view of this season distasteful.

Bryce catches the ball alot better when they throw it to him up eye level or higher. I have yet to see him catch one of the bounce passes aimed at his knees yet.

RM. sees Relphorde, and Mitchell evey day in practice. if they were a better option, they would be playing. If you want to see an exhibition on how not to shoot the basketball, watach AM next time in pre game warm ups. Your criticism of RM is totally off base.

yet all at once knollmeyer is seeing minutes and doing as good as husak and eberhardt.

while i dont expect relphorde and mitchell to become the number one option, i find it hard to believe they couldnt match what polk and eckerle have provided.

the point is, other than lisch, liddell, and meyer, no one has dominated. so why not play the rest?

that said, i have liked the tactical decisions of majerus since the beginning of conference play. we are without doubt playing differently and thus seem to have a chance.

the sooner we move polk permanently out as main point guard and start playing meyer primarily at sf this team will get better. i am more optimistic now than i was a month ago. imo it is now more about finding the right combinations and changing the minutes played than anything.

Bryce catches the ball alot better when they throw it to him up eye level or higher. I have yet to see him catch one of the bounce passes aimed at his knees yet.

I've said the same thing many times and yelled it at the TV yesterday. By no means am I saying Bryce has great hands, but why do we continue to feed him the ball inside below his waist?

yet all at once knollmeyer is seeing minutes and doing as good as husak and eberhardt.

while i dont expect relphorde and mitchell to become the number one option, i find it hard to believe they couldnt match what polk and eckerle have provided.

the point is, other than lisch, liddell, and meyer, no one has dominated. so why not play the rest?

that said, i have liked the tactical decisions of majerus since the beginning of conference play. we are without doubt playing differently and thus seem to have a chance.

the sooner we move polk permanently out as main point guard and start playing meyer primarily at sf this team will get better. i am more optimistic now than i was a month ago. imo it is now more about finding the right combinations and changing the minutes played than anything.

I agree Roy, I think AK has shown that he can play at least 10-15 minutes a game. During the last 2 games against good teams he has logged 29 minutes, has 6 points and 9 rebounds while playing what I thought was pretty good D. He isn't a player we are going to feed the ball inside to on offense, but he has been a pretty good rebounder. He has had a few nice rebounds in a crowd.

20 minutes of Bryce and 15 minutes of AK allows BE to play primarily the 4 moving Luke to the 3 and Kevin and Tommie can play the point. Personally I prefer Tommie there, but would be ok with either.

Polk had a couple of games where he seemed to get in the lane and make things happen and his assist totals backed that up, I don't know why he can't sustain that level of play. In the last 2 games he hasn't penetrated and when he does get in the lane he just dribbles it back out. Imo DP should be a spot player unless the matchup dictates otherwise.

Danny has played well and deserves more minutes. I would start Tommie, Kevin, Luke, Barry, and Bryce. with Adam getting about 15 minutes a game backing up Bryce and Luke logging about 15 minutes a game at the 4 backing up Barry along with 15 minutes a game at the 3. Danny would be my first guard off the bench with Paul playing in front of DP.

"yet all at once knollmeyer is seeing minutes and doing as good as husak and eberhardt."

Yeah, he looked just as good as the guy that was hurt. And almost as good as the Husak, who had his worst game that I've seen this year. I thought Knollmeyer looked terrible yesterday. I hate to put down kids, but I just do not see him here for very long unless his instincts improve by a large margin. He is no option on offense and he is pretty darn slow on defense too.

As for playing Eckerle less, I think he should be playing more. The best lineup at the end of the game and in overtime is when they pulled Polk and Husak and put in Brown and Eckerle. At least those two have a chance to score.

Surprised nobody is mentioning how bad Tommy was in overtime on the offensive end. Turnover, block shot, block shot, and then wasted about a total of 15 seconds before and after the timeout on the last possesion.

"yet all at once knollmeyer is seeing minutes and doing as good as husak and eberhardt."

Yeah, he looked just as good as the guy that was hurt. And almost as good as the Husak, who had his worst game that I've seen this year. I thought Knollmeyer looked terrible yesterday. I hate to put down kids, but I just do not see him here for very long unless his instincts improve by a large margin. He is no option on offense and he is pretty darn slow on defense too.

As for playing Eckerle less, I think he should be playing more. The best lineup at the end of the game and in overtime is when they pulled Polk and Husak and put in Brown and Eckerle. At least those two have a chance to score.

Surprised nobody is mentioning how bad Tommy was in overtime on the offensive end. Turnover, block shot, block shot, and then wasted about a total of 15 seconds before and after the timeout on the last possesion.

so what part of knollmeyer's game didnt you like? the four rebounds and a steal which were more than husak? the zero turnovers which was less than husak? maybe it was the fact olmos scored all his points vs husak and not knollmeyer.

no one is expecting him to come in and be karl malone. all i want is someone that plays defense and rebounds. i am not wanting knollmeyer to play instead of husak or eberhardt. i want the minutes to come from polk and eckerle so that we can start playing two actual bigs at the same time and play luke at sf where i beleive luke will be even better.