Here is some good news, SIUC is coming to town and that means a win

brianstl

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It also means that thier fans will be on here making asses out of themselves over the next few days. What better way to turn around the season than to stick it to the hicks from C-Dale.

They took it to a tough St. Marys team last night. Im hoping we score over 45pts on saturday.

They took it to a tough St. Marys team last night. Im hoping we score over 45pts on saturday.

an siu friend of mine told me at the belleville west vs belleville east grudge match game last night, the first one to 35 wins.

That is probably the truth. It is not going to be a game that will get a lot of style points.

i am just hoping that lowery doesnt use the same "let's beat (literally) up lisch and liddell to win" strategy again.

Aww poor guys can't handle a physical game????? <_<

Actually, I think SIU will leave STL with an L. But what do I know, I'm just a hick......at least Brian had said so over and over......and over.

physical game is one thing. picking lisch up and body slamming him to the floor is another. that isnt basketball.

Easily my most anticipated game of the year. Will my beloved Saluki's pull out a win in STL finally, or will my alma mater score the upset win?

My heart says Saluki's in a route. My head says it is never that easy in STL versus the Bills so I will predict a final score of 61-48. The game is much closer than that as SIU pulls away from the freethrow line at the end.

i am just hoping that lowery doesnt use the same "let's beat (literally) up lisch and liddell to win" strategy again.

If there ever is a game when non-MVC, hopefully at least even handed refs are needed, who are not afraid to call a foul when it is a foul, this is it. SIU's "defense" consists of with what the refs let them get away. If the tone is set early by the refs, meaning the fouls are called, ordinarily SLU will win this game.

This rubbish about physically knocking the other team's best player out of the game must be stopped. This is basketball, not wrestling. And, it is payback time.

It also means that thier fans will be on here making asses out of themselves over the next few days. What better way to turn around the season than to stick it to the hicks from C-Dale.

I have watched several of the SIU games and their success has a lot to do with the way the games are called. Against Miss State the refs swallowed their whistles and SIU pummelled the guards into submission and got numerous offensive rebounds by pushing and undercutting the athletic bigs. The other end of the spectrum is the Southern Cal game where the refs called it very close and Mullins kept looking at the refs like they shot his dog. Without the ability to body up and foul on every play they had no chance against SoCal and they were routed. I assume that last night the refs let them be physical and push on every play so they beat a good St. Mary's team.

If the refs do not call the fouls--and repeat the debacle of last year at Carbondale--we will have no chance of winning this game. If they call it close then we have a chance to win although not if we play like we did in the last four games.

On a side note--I think Falker may have the highest basketball IQ I have ever seen. He is clever, works hard and he seems to know where to be at all times. He knows how much he can get away with as an undersized post player--meaning he gets away with a lot more than the bigger post men--and he uses it to his advantage.

in the first half, lisch (without the ball) was being guarded by young on the left wing. lisch faked high and cut to the basket heading as he does many time for the right corner. young was beat, and simply grabbed lisch near the bottom right block and simply threw him out of bounds. lisch got up, grabbing his elbow and seconds later on a dead ball came out and headed to the locker room. he came out with his arm wrapped and played the rest of the game, but simply was totally ineffective thereafter. he later said he had little feeling in his elbow the rest of the game. and just never felt right shooting. he had to wear that sleeve thing the rest of the year.

sorry i dont have it on tape as i was at the game. it is forever burned in my memory though and tony young imo was mvp of the game for that play.

in the first half, lisch (without the ball) was being guarded by young on the left wing. lisch faked high and cut to the basket heading as he does many time for the right corner. young was beat, and simply grabbed lisch near the bottom right block and simply threw him out of bounds. lisch got up, grabbing his elbow and seconds later on a dead ball came out and headed to the locker room. he came out with his arm wrapped and played the rest of the game, but simply was totally ineffective thereafter. he later said he had little feeling in his elbow the rest of the game. and just never felt right shooting. he had to wear that sleeve thing the rest of the year.

sorry i dont have it on tape as i was at the game. it is forever burned in my memory though and tony young imo was mvp of the game for that play.

Keep in mind Lisch was lighting up Young before that play. He was on fire.

I have watched several of the SIU games and their success has a lot to do with the way the games are called. Against Miss State the refs swallowed their whistles and SIU pummelled the guards into submission and got numerous offensive rebounds by pushing and undercutting the athletic bigs. The other end of the spectrum is the Southern Cal game where the refs called it very close and Mullins kept looking at the refs like they shot his dog. Without the ability to body up and foul on every play they had no chance against SoCal and they were routed. I assume that last night the refs let them be physical and push on every play so they beat a good St. Mary's team.

If the refs do not call the fouls--and repeat the debacle of last year at Carbondale--we will have no chance of winning this game. If they call it close then we have a chance to win although not if we play like we did in the last four games.

On a side note--I think Falker may have the highest basketball IQ I have ever seen. He is clever, works hard and he seems to know where to be at all times. He knows how much he can get away with as an undersized post player--meaning he gets away with a lot more than the bigger post men--and he uses it to his advantage.

It does not surprise me that the game was called close when SIU played USC in Anaheim. The Pac-10 is a touch foul league, the diametrical opposite of what SIU usually gets. Playing in Anaheim, that game was a de facto USC home game.

What we need in this game is for the fouls that are fouls to be called, both under the basket and away from the basket.

Frankly, I have never been terribly impressed with SIU's "talent." But I guess begrudging credit goes their way for the way they have been able to "compensate" over the years. Still, what happened last year in Carbondale re Lisch was improper, to put it mildly. There are harsher words that could be substituted there. The way to deal with that is very simple- just beat them.

It does not surprise me that the game was called close when SIU played USC in Anaheim. The Pac-10 is a touch foul league, the diametrical opposite of what SIU usually gets. Playing in Anaheim, that game was a de facto USC home game.

What we need in this game is for the fouls that are fouls to be called, both under the basket and away from the basket.

Frankly, I have never been terribly impressed with SIU's "talent." But I guess begrudging credit goes their way for the way they have been able to "compensate" over the years. Still, what happened last year in Carbondale re Lisch was improper, to put it mildly. There are harsher words that could be substituted there. The way to deal with that is very simple- just beat them.

Our Billikens lack toughness. We have returned to the finesse days of Grawer where our guys need a game called a certain way to succeed. We have returned to the not so glorious days when we would play Missourit State and Carbondale close at home and get killed on the road in their venues. Our fans would then cry about the refs. This happened under Grawer and returned with Romar and Brad. The exception was when Charlie (former MVC superstar coach) instilled toughness in our team. Sure Spoon had talented guys like H, Claggett and Highmark, but we also he toughened these guys up and also had tough guys like Jeff Harris, Heinrich, Tatum, Eric Jones who did what what was necessary. We had depth and used most of our fouls to wear down and foul out other teams. When's the last time another team's better players sat the bench because of foul trouble?? I cannot recall.

Over the years, our guys started bulking up and eventually could go toe-to-toe with the likes of Cincy and its thugs. Can anyone imagine how many years it would take BH, AK, DM, DB (and before them JJ and IV) need to mature/redshirt/develop in order to match up to the old teams under Bobby Huggins ?? - Answer: never. As good as TL is, he reminds me of another talented, finesse guys (Monroe Douglas) who would be mugged by Spoon's SMS Bears only to turn and cry to the refs while Spoon's Bears dribbled the open court for a lay-up increasing their their to double digits.

Looking forward to Conklin and John. If RM type players are anything like Spoon's, bring them on.

With all the SIU-c fans that will be in town, this is like Christmas 2 weeks early for those looking to score some meth.

Our Billikens lack toughness. We have returned to the finesse days of Grawer where our guys need a game called a certain way to succeed. We have returned to the not so glorious days when we would play Missourit State and Carbondale close at home and get killed on the road in their venues. Our fans would then cry about the refs. This happened under Grawer and returned with Romar and Brad. The exception was when Charlie (former MVC superstar coach) instilled toughness in our team. Sure Spoon had talented guys like H, Claggett and Highmark, but we also he toughened these guys up and also had tough guys like Jeff Harris, Heinrich, Tatum, Eric Jones who did what what was necessary. We had depth and used most of our fouls to wear down and foul out other teams. When's the last time another team's better players sat the bench because of foul trouble?? I cannot recall.

Over the years, our guys started bulking up and eventually could go toe-to-toe with the likes of Cincy and its thugs. Can anyone imagine how many years it would take BH, AK, DM, DB (and before them JJ and IV) need to mature/redshirt/develop in order to match up to the old teams under Bobby Huggins ?? - Answer: never. As good as TL is, he reminds me of another talented, finesse guys (Monroe Douglas) who would be mugged by Spoon's SMS Bears only to turn and cry to the refs while Spoon's Bears dribbled the open court for a lay-up increasing their their to double digits.

Looking forward to Conklin and John. If RM type players are anything like Spoon's, bring them on.

Anthony Bonner was a prototypical power forward that played 4 years for SLU under Rich Grawer. Bonner was not a finesse player.

Playing physical is one thing; body slamming one of the opponent's best players to get him out of the game when he was torching SIU is quite another.

Traditionally, SIU has had mega problems with SLU playing in STL. Let's hope this SLU team can somehow rise up and make that trend continue.

brian, is the meth a higher cost and quality in jeffco as compared to the carbondale/murphysboro/marion area?

i think determining the cost and quality of the chief manufactured product of each is important to be able to really compare the benefits and downfalls of both.

I am looking for some good entertainment in this thread. Does anyone know what happened to basketballcountry? His post were always good for a few laughs when you finished translating them.

How many pages do you think this thread will be by Saturday night?