Two chances to see our recruits at the same time

The first chance will be at the Riverwar All-Star game on Saturday, March 27 at UMSL. The slam dunk contest is at 5 pm and the boys game is at 7:45 pm. Polk and Meyer will suit up for Missouri and Liddell will headline the Illinois squad. Matt Shaw, Justin Dentman and Xavier Price are also scheduled to participate so the Missouri team will have its hands full. Check in at www.showtymebasketball.com as the event draws nearer on the calendar.

The second chance to see our recruits in action together, of course, will be at DJ's annual all-star over the summer.

Let's say (God forbid), Tommie Liddell tells us he is going the prep school route. We have one scholarship slated for a PF but now we have another scholarship open. If this were the case, I would say we should look for a replacement at wing who can also play at 2.

Cameron Murkey, Gateway Tech, 6'3" 185, 20.6 ppg, 47% fga, 30% 3pt.av.

Terry Evans, Card. Ritter, 6'5" 180, 11.8 ppg, 49% fga, 42% 3pt.av.

What do you think of these options 3Star? Evans does not appear to have regained all his athleticism (from reports and his modest scoring average) but I was surprised to see that he is shooting 42% from 3 land. I thought his outside shot was supposed to be below par. Murkey can score for sure but, as he is tallest guy on Gateway's squad this year, I am thinking he is doing it on the inside right now. Does he play defense? Any other potential wing candidates out there? I suppose we should add Mike Kalicak from DeSmet but he is really an improved version of Izik I think. Wouldn't be a bad thing but does not address our deficiency in the area of athleticism, quickness.

Me and another poster saw TL scored 23 last night against O'Fallon. The young man is a terrific player. I have seen him play many times, but last night he was exceptional. TL is gracefully quick, so athletic, never forced a shot, solid judgement, is a team player, and worked on defense. All-Star games sometimes get a little crazy, but if you haven't seen TL you should catch him this spring or on the East Side.

He helps the Billikens big time from day one, whenever that may be!

If Kalicak was even close to an improved version of Izik ... I would hope we would have already offered him.

I read ... but I can't remember where ... that Evens knee is almost completely healed and he has regrained all his athleticism. The knee was not as goos earlier in the season ... but is improving daily. Isn't he a guy we would have jumped all over if given the chance ... except for the injury.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

I've only personally seen Kalicak play once so this is more based upon stats and comments but, with that disclaimer stated, Kalicak is an "improved" Izik in the sense that he is a substantially better outside shooter and ball-handler away from the basket as a wing should be. He is 2 inches shorter, does not have Izik's wing span, nor his hops. Izik really gets off the ground quickly. Thus, I think he is an improved wing (the roll we currently have Izik playing) in the sense that he can score from outside and handle the ball but not necessarily quicker or more athletic (I think Kalicak is slower and less athletic than Izik). Kalicak is not a slasher either.

personally i would take another inside player, but if a guard is the choice, i would take the most underated senior in the st louis area, jb jones from belleville west.

tommie finally got to play last night. dennis brooks, the coach, was sick and the asst coach, who apparently coached tommie in grade school ran the show. they put the foot to the metal and ran the hell out of it. maybe brooks will wake up and let the flyers fly the rest of the season now after that show. if not, maybe they need to let the asst coach take over in the future.

btw tseugnekillib, i was told that east side has an unbelievable group of 8th graders heading their way. 3 kids dunk regularly in games for the lincoln middle school team.

Tommie Liddell (East St. Louis) will take on Dwayne Polk (Vashon) at noon at Vashon next Saturday (a week from today). It should be a great game.

I am working on a story on Terry Evans. He told me the other day his knee still isn't completely there yet. If you look at his game-by-game stats, you'll see he is playing a lot better lately. He made four 3-pointers in a big game against Jennings the other day. The only scholarship offer he has right now is from South Alabama, but he is talking to a couple other schools. He did not mention SLU as a possible destination, but if the Bills offered he'd have to consider it.

- Nate

Don't be fooled by three-point percentages. In high school, those percentages may be inflated due to the quality a shots a particular player gets. Cardinal Ritter plays in a league where Evans can shoot over the top of unathletic 6'0 small forwards. And when they play against better teams, the focus of the opposition is on stopping Barnett which gives Evans a lot of uncontested jump shots. Blake Ahearn's three point percentage his senior year at Desmet was actually lower than Evans, but he was shooting 40% from three against much better competition.

>Don't be fooled by three-point percentages. In high school,

>those percentages may be inflated due to the quality a shots

>a particular player gets. Cardinal Ritter plays in a league

>where Evans can shoot over the top of unathletic 6'0 small

>forwards. And when they play against better teams, the

>focus of the opposition is on stopping Barnett which gives

>Evans a lot of uncontested jump shots. Blake Ahearn's three

>point percentage his senior year at Desmet was actually

>lower than Evans, but he was shooting 40% from three against

>much better competition.

That's a counterpunch comment but not much of an opinion upon the guy's ability. What do you think about Evans v. the needs of the Bills assuming Liddell is off the table?

p.s. Shooting percentage from 3 land does tell one whether a guy can knock down an open shot (and on our Bills team, we lack that commodity at present). Granted, it does not say much about the player's overall game.

>tommie finally got to play last night. dennis brooks, the

>coach, was sick and the asst coach, who apparently coached

>tommie in grade school ran the show. they put the foot to

>the metal and ran the hell out of it. maybe brooks will

>wake up and let the flyers fly the rest of the season now

>after that show. if not, maybe they need to let the asst

>coach take over in the future.

>

>btw tseugnekillib, i was told that east side has an

>unbelievable group of 8th graders heading their way. 3 kids

>dunk regularly in games for the lincoln middle school team.

I recommend Billiken Roy for President

3Star's take on Terry Evans: "Without the crazy athleticism, he's just a 6'4 spot up shooter."

I take you have seen him play recently, what do you think, is he just a jump shooter now or has some of that slashing / jumping ability come back? What about his defense?

I haven't seen Evans play during his recent stretch of strong performances, but I don't think he has lost all of his athleticism. It's hard to say how close he is to what he was before, but he seems to be getting healthy.

It's a tough situation, because the kid has been hurt for most of his final two high school seasons. He's definitely a project for somebody and has a huge upside.

- Nate

An article was in the post the other day saying that Evans was gertting back to full strength.

Kalicak can handle the ball some but is too slow to be a wing. He can be a good spot up shooter but has no inside game whatsoever. I would hope there are better options than him.

All of you are really something - it is only Feb. Give TL a chance - don't give up on him. He is a great player and we should hang as long as we can with him because anybody else that is out there will only be much lower quality. Instead of talking about him not qualifying and going to a prep school maybe we need to make sure he understands how much we want him - he is a partial qualifier so he can come and I think on a scholarship (correct?)

>All of you are really something - it is only Feb. Give TL a

>chance - don't give up on him. He is a great player and we

>should hang as long as we can with him because anybody else

>that is out there will only be much lower quality. Instead

>of talking about him not qualifying and going to a prep

>school maybe we need to make sure he understands how much we

>want him - he is a partial qualifier so he can come and I

>think on a scholarship (correct?)

No one is giving up Cheese. This is a message board. We discuss for the sake of discussion any tangential thought that pops into our small brains. It was reported by another poster that TL was considering prep school. Thus, if he went that route, partial qualifer or not, we have an open scholarship. It's still an "IF".

tsuegnekillib, i have heard neither have. i know for a fact that jb just took the test last saturday. my 7th grade daughter was taking it due to some kind of "dreams" program experiment and was in the same classroom with jb.