Official SLU vs. SMS Game Thread

TheA_Bomb

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting stat tonights game:

We outrebounded MO ST 26-21 (with more offensive rebounds also).

Although it seemed like we were getting dominated tonight...we ended up playing OK. We just need to start playing two halves of basketball...unlike Furman or Detroit, when we play quality teams we won't be able to get back into it. Also, we need our big guys to start getting to the line. MO ST went to the line 11 more times than us tonight. Final observation...I'd like to see KL think shot first. It seems that there have been many times this year when his first instinct is to put the ball on the floor and try to drive. Although he's a good ball handler, he simply isn't going to be able to get to the hoop without setting defenders up with his shot. He's not as quick and smooth as TL III who can slash with ease on most players. Like I said earlier, the turning point in the game was when KL passed up that wide open look that would have brought us within 4. I truly believe that if he makes that shot we win the game.

Although it seemed like we were getting dominated tonight...we ended up playing OK. We just need to start playing two halves of basketball...unlike Furman or Detroit, when we play quality teams we won't be able to get back into it. Also, we need our big guys to start getting to the line. MO ST went to the line 11 more times than us tonight. Final observation...I'd like to see KL think shot first. It seems that there have been many times this year when his first instinct is to put the ball on the floor and try to drive. Although he's a good ball handler, he simply isn't going to be able to get to the hoop without setting defenders up with his shot. He's not as quick and smooth as TL III who can slash with ease on most players. Like I said earlier, the turning point in the game was when KL passed up that wide open look that would have brought us within 4. I truly believe that if he makes that shot we win the game.

I think a bigger worry would be that SLU only scored 2 points with its bench. It's going to be hard to do much without any support for the starters.

Here is a question that perhaps some of you can answer for me.

Does it seem like when we get an offensive rebound and KL or TL head down the floor with most everyone trailing, the guards never go to the basket strong. If they don't have a wide open bucket, they pull up and then wait for all the players (ours and theirs) to catch up.

It would seem that with the ability of a KL or TL, that those would be easy points, or at least an opportunity to shoot a foul shot when the opposition trys to keep them from scoring.

I saw this behavior all the time under Brad S., is this a carry over from past coaching or am I just missing something here?

My observation would be that the guards are playing way too conservative in this type of situation. An Illinois, NC, Duke, would play agressively and go right to the bucket and get the two points and perhaps a foul shot.

Nice game! Your guys never quit and we made some tough shots the first half. Hopefully we can get the series renewed after next year because I think it is good for both of us.

Good luck the rest of the way!

Definitely - we need to keep this series going, even if the Bills lose most of the time.

Just got back from the trek to Springfield. This was a game we could have won. We certainly didn't get many calls, but we didn't get homered as bad as usual either. Our inside players lack the confidence to attack the rim. Far too often, we work it into the post, only to have it kicked back out to a covered player. KL was definitely not looking for his shot tonight, until the end. Maybe his early misses hurt his confidence. We try to run KL off screens, but most of the time he has more than one defender to beat, because our other guards haven't shown the ability to score. TL was fine, he basically took what came to him. He played most of the game, and other than his ballhandling had a solid game. LM busted his butt and did all the dirty work, and was the only one willing to step up and take a big shot, until the last couple of minutes.

One of the problems with this team is RM's reluctance to play BE and BH together. BE needs to play facing the basket. He's a different player when he can shoot the 10-12 footer. I was sitting behind his coach from JC, who said as much. I know we are thin up front, and RM is trying to get 80 minutes out of the "bigs", but we rarely have our best 5 players on the court at the same time.

DP and PE were real problems. We play point guards that can't hit WIDE OPEN, UNCONTESTED shots. Heck, DP by my recollection, only took one shot. An open 18 footer in the last 3 or 4 minutes, and he barely hit the backboard to the side of the rim. PE forced a couple of shots and missed several open, uncontested looks. I'm not sure either of them had an assist, and they certainly don't breakdown defenses with penetration. Both had trouble guarding, they put very little pressure on Laurie, who was the difference in the game. He made big shots, a couple in the first half as the 35 second clock was expiring, handled the ball well and generally ran their offense.

As an admitted uninformed fan, it seems to me, that we'll beat the not so good teams, beat a few OK teams and lose to the pretty good teams or better. We're always playing 3 or 4 against 5 on the offensive end. Hope I'm wrong, and a month from now, we'll be better due to the familiarity with the offense. Speaking for me, I'd rather see the 2 freshman play than DP, maybe they can develop into the players this team needs. DP gives it all he's got, but it's hard for me imagining his game changing much in the next 25 games.

By the way, Danny Brown was in uniform and participated in the pre-game warm-ups. He seemed to move fine.

Just got back home from the game and heres my opinion for what its worth

1. There is no fan I passionately hate more than a MISERY fan but sms and dayton fans are close second

2. I didnt think that there could be a dance team that is worse than ours until i saw the "sugar bears" do their stripper dance.

3. there sign dude is a total jerk the one thing i like most about steves signs is that they are not anti-other team they are all pro slu.

4. I am absolutely unhappy with the lack of 3 pters that the bills attempted in the first half along with the turnovers.

5. The refs wouldn't have known a foul if it would have choked them with their own whistle. the bears were getting away with murder and slu bumps into someone and a foul is called.

Since DP won't get more than 4, we've got to have BH get 6 to 8 points a game and PE and DB combine for another 6 to 8. If we don't get that scoring 60 is going to be tough. We're not going to hold decent teams to 50. With bench production like we had last night we won't win many games. They've got to step it up. This is DB's opportunity to make his career something other than potential that never came through. Hopefully RM can show him the light.

DP and PE were real problems. We play point guards that can't hit WIDE OPEN, UNCONTESTED shots. Heck, DP by my recollection, only took one shot. An open 18 footer in the last 3 or 4 minutes, and he barely hit the backboard to the side of the rim. PE forced a couple of shots and missed several open, uncontested looks. I'm not sure either of them had an assist, and they certainly don't breakdown defenses with penetration. Both had trouble guarding, they put very little pressure on Laurie, who was the difference in the game. He made big shots, a couple in the first half as the 35 second clock was expiring, handled the ball well and generally ran their offense.

As an admitted uninformed fan, it seems to me, that we'll beat the not so good teams, beat a few OK teams and lose to the pretty good teams or better. We're always playing 3 or 4 against 5 on the offensive end. Hope I'm wrong, and a month from now, we'll be better due to the familiarity with the offense. Speaking for me, I'd rather see the 2 freshman play than DP, maybe they can develop into the players this team needs. DP gives it all he's got, but it's hard for me imagining his game changing much in the next 25 games.

By the way, Danny Brown was in uniform and participated in the pre-game warm-ups. He seemed to move fine.

imo, we need either danny brown or mitchell or relphorde to step up. they are more the prototypical size to play.