FYI - Mitchell, A-10's top rookie last season, leaves Duquesne

davidlee

That makes for a tough situation not too far off. With the young guys leaving, this team is going to be in a perpetual rebuild phase; those JC guys will graduate, and nobody is going to be there to take over.

And, of course, that makes for an instant RPI drain.

Duquesne is about to land Damian Saunders. Saunders had signed with Marquette last fall, but was recently denied admission to MU. His prep coach, Bill Barton, is now an assistant at Duquesne, so many of us at Marquette expected him to land at DU.

Saunders is an ultra athletic but somewhat raw combo forward from Waterbury, CT. I was anticipating him providing some minutes at both forward positions off the bench at MU this year. If he can cut the mustard in the classroom at Duquesne, he should be a pretty good player for the Dukes.

One thing to mention is that Saunders was charged with being in the presence of pot this summer. He didn't have it on him but was with someone who did.

Nice new site, by the way, Billiken fans. Good luck this year. As a MU fan, you all know I gotta love Majerus!

http://www.rep-am.com/articles/2007/08/29/sports/280774.txt

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 6:10 AM EDT

Saunders' next stop: Duquesne?

BY JOE PALLADINO Republican-American

One door closed on Damian Saunders last week. Another door is about to open.

Spurned by Marquette University just days before the start of the 2007-08 academic school year, the former Crosby High All-State basketball star is poised to land on his feet, perhaps as early as Friday.

It is widely rumored that Saunders will sign with Duquesne University and play in the Atlantic 10 Conference.

I am not so sure you can say every that just because a kid was home schooled that he may not have also been in the presence of someone with pot. Interesting thing is that it looks like the Dukes are becoming the new UNLV or Fresno State - they just keep getting kids that have checkered histories. What type of academic school is it if a kid can not get into MU but then can get into them?

I am not so sure you can say every that just because a kid was home schooled that he may not have also been in the presence of someone with pot. Interesting thing is that it looks like the Dukes are becoming the new UNLV or Fresno State - they just keep getting kids that have checkered histories. What type of academic school is it if a kid can not get into MU but then can get into them?

My statement (while still ludicrous) was meant to be interpreted as: "All kids who go to public school are at least collateral potheads, but not all collateral potheads are public schoolers."

I would be very scared to go to Duquesne, VT, any of those schools for at least a couple years, regardless of the actual reality of student life there, just because getting shot at is probably really, really scary. I'm sure they're both fine schools, but in the presence of other comparable options, I would definitely look elsewhere, at least for a few years.

I would be very scared to go to Duquesne, VT, any of those schools for at least a couple years, regardless of the actual reality of student life there, just because getting shot at is probably really, really scary. I'm sure they're both fine schools, but in the presence of other comparable options, I would definitely look elsewhere, at least for a few years.

Kinda funny hearing that from a SLU student. When I was at SLU I was just about shot in the head as a result of a stray bullet from a shooting at the corner of Compton and Lindell. It hit the tree right next to me. Luckily I was pretty hammered at the time or it would have really freaked me out...

My statement (while still ludicrous) was meant to be interpreted as: "All kids who go to public school are at least collateral potheads, but not all collateral potheads are public schoolers."

If a perspective HS students took that attitude, I don't SLU would get anybody to enroll. I went to SLU in the early '70s and I recall going to the Jack-in-the Box on No Grand with some friends and a shot wizzed by me and hit the car wind shield.

I don't know if you seen VT or Duquesne, but VT is just a large southern engineering/aggie school in the middle of nowhere (similiar to Clemson, Auburn, etc..) and Duquesne (now have not seen DU in 30 years-my parents are from Pittsburgh) is in a urban residential area. The point is these incidents can happen anywhere. I think the best thing you can do (I have a junior in HS who will be looking at schools this summer), is tell them to use good judgment. Be careful on the neighborhoods you go into and parties/friends you associate with. Not like the old man did 35 years ago :lol:

If a perspective HS students took that attitude, I don't SLU would get anybody to enroll. I went to SLU in the early '70s and I recall going to the Jack-in-the Box on No Grand with some friends and a shot wizzed by me and hit the car wind shield.

I don't know if you seen VT or Duquesne, but VT is just a large southern engineering/aggie school in the middle of nowhere (similiar to Clemson, Auburn, etc..) and Duquesne (now have not seen DU in 30 years-my parents are from Pittsburgh) is in a urban residential area. The point is these incidents can happen anywhere. I think the best thing you can do (I have a junior in HS who will be looking at schools this summer), is tell them to use good judgment. Be careful on the neighborhoods you go into and parties/friends you associate with. Not like the old man did 35 years ago :lol:

I didn't have comparable options (financial ability to travel), wasn't Jewish enough for Wash U, so I went to SLU. Damn glad I did, too. I never worried about my safety at SLU because muggers, etc. only pick on chicks and dudes that act like wimps. If you act like you've got a clue, they usually go after someone else.

But, if I was a D1 basketball prospect who could go anywhere for free (w/in reason), I'd probably be a bit more discerning in my search than settling for DU, given the fact that half the team got mowed down recently.

I never worried about my safety at SLU because muggers, etc. only pick on chicks and dudes that act like wimps. If you act like you've got a clue, they usually go after someone else.

After an unsuccessful hook-up attempt in Lindell Towers one night, I once walked from there to my apartment near Pershing and DeBaliviere at 4:30 in the morning. I was approached by a group of 4-5 unsavory characters on Lindell near the Ghetto Schnucks® (Jimbo tribute), so I started talking to myself loudly, flailing my arms around and ticking like I had Tourettes. Worked like a charm, they parted like the Red Sea.

I didn't have comparable options (financial ability to travel), wasn't Jewish enough for Wash U, so I went to SLU. Damn glad I did, too. I never worried about my safety at SLU because muggers, etc. only pick on chicks and dudes that act like wimps. If you act like you've got a clue, they usually go after someone else.

But, if I was a D1 basketball prospect who could go anywhere for free (w/in reason), I'd probably be a bit more discerning in my search than settling for DU, given the fact that half the team got mowed down recently.

Wrong Jimbo! Not always, although you are mostly correct about the size and attitude of victims. I remember the story when I was a student at SLU (early 60's) that a bunch of guys jumped Bob Nordman on Grand Ave. by the Fox. If you remember, Bevo was at least 6'10" and 250 and he wasn't seriously hurt. Probably more suprised it ever happened to him.

Times have changed and now it's bullets, not fists flying. The area around the SLU campus is much safer now than when I was there.

Wrong Jimbo! Not always, although you are mostly correct about the size and attitude of victims. I remember the story when I was a student at SLU (early 60's) that a bunch of guys jumped Bob Nordman on Grand Ave. by the Fox. If you remember, Bevo was at least 6'10" and 250 and he wasn't seriously hurt. Probably more suprised it ever happened to him.

Times have changed and now it's bullets, not fists flying. The area around the SLU campus is much safer now than when I was there.

I hear you, it can happen to anyone, that's for sure. I always just make eye contact w/out EYEBALLIN' someone I think might be a problem. It's real hard to be a prick to someone who looks you in the eye, unless they EYEBALLIN' you. To me such body language says "I'm minding my own business, and I'm acknowledging our mutual presence on this sidewalk/in this dumpster/etc." If I still sense a bit of angst, I usually come strong and correct by fully enunciating in a firm voice, "What's up Fresh? It's our turn."